Release DGen, Genesis/Megadrive Emulator

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
The older ones here will remember the excellent DGen emulator from the late 90s. Well DGen was abandonned for a while but is now back and multiplatform. I did not really know what to expect so I tried a compilation for Pandora. Here is the released version on the repo:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=dgen

ANd here below running Sonic 1:

02.png

The performance is below PicoDrive, so don't expect it to be entirely smooth. This being said, Sonic 1 was almost full speed and smooth at 750 Mhz on Rebirth so I assume that at 900 Mhz or on the 1Ghz model you will get full speed most of the time. EDIT: I tested on the 1Ghz and it's indeed full speed all the time.

Since DGen is a command line tool I packaged it with a super simple zenity script to let you enter the ROM you want to play with. That's it. The ROM should be uncompressed so a BIN file or SMD file should do. 

Since this was just experimental in the first place, the controls are not mapped and there are no options. I think the DPad works by default and the buttons are mapped to other keys on the keyboard, A S and D. Enter and Space are start and Select, and you can do ESC to exit the emulator when you are done. 

Let me know if you are interested to have DGen for the Pandora after you see the performance for yourselves. 

Last edited by a moderator:
sonic is one of those games that I cannot play because the fucking MUST GO FAST BLAST PROCESSING ruins it... too blured on the screen and it gives me a headache.

I think it's got to do with the FPS/vsync/blah blah blah

I'm willing to give this new emulator a go and see if there is any difference.

Well, thanks for the work but seeing that picodrive is almost perfect, it wouldn't be surprising to not get much feedback on this :) That is, if DGen doesn't have any feature or appeal that picodrive lacks.... if it does, best to make sure to highlight it so people have a reason to download it :)

V2 is out in the repo and now it has proper keys mapping :)

That is, if DGen doesn't have any feature or appeal that picodrive lacks.... if it does, best to make sure to highlight it so people have a reason to download it :)
The key mapping for saving/loading quicksaves is now better than in picodrive :) and that's all; I guess!

Nice port, I like my retro and nostalgia and having dgen on my pandora is nice even though it doesn't add anything picdrive can't do. Now all we need is frodo, nesticle, genecyst, cc64s, project 64 :)

just played some crackdown on dgen, fun .

Nice port, I like my retro and nostalgia and having dgen on my pandora is nice even though it doesn't add anything picdrive can't do. Now all we need is frodo, nesticle, genecyst, cc64s, project 64 :)

just played some crackdown on dgen, fun .
I was thinking of downloading but is this overkill?

probly, But I just wanted to see and appreciate a nice effort by someone trying to port something to the pandora, Congrats to ekianjo I hope this is a taste of more to come.

It's nice to have an alternative and it runs ok on GHz - I don't agree about better savestate buttons though. :p

Needs zip support too I only had Sonic 2 Extended Edition (That's the beta levels finished and included in the game) that was handy to run as a bin file. :)

Is there an in game menu?

EDIT: The HQ2X looks sexy! :D

picodrive is better, you might as well throw this in the trash
Obvious trolling? :S

Yes it's better - but no need to demotivate people...
No more trolling than this : http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/619-port-requests/?p=262533
I'm surprised that i'm a troll here while his reply in this other thread is not considerd trolling.

Interesting
It's not like that - I saw this thread first. In which case both of you cut it out. I have no preferential treatment.

It's not like that - I saw this thread first. In which case both of you cut it out. I have no preferential treatment.
I choosed the exact same word for a reason. Beside, Ekianjo explained clearly in the other thread that he dont find these exacts words insulting or anything bad. So I'm willing to show him his own medecine until he understand my message. Everyone here have to be respected. This kind of post is not acceptable imho. Ban me if you disagree 'cause I'll continue.

Back