GP2X Anyone Planning On A Sega Genesis Emu?

skeezix posted on Oct 13 2005 at 09:34 PM said:
Good times ahead people.

(And, DaveC, before you ask; what makes GP2x great, even before its releases, is it doens't have the PSP community :p)

jeff

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see why it needs to be DrMD 'or' Linux SDL ports. The best thing for any console emulation scene is as many emulators for every system as possible. DrMD looks to be an excellent emulator even if I've not had a chance to play it myself (though I have seen it in action), and is indeed very efficient, but there are games that don't run in it. No emulator is perfect. Likewise, any Linux SDL port like DGen, Generator and/or Gens that comes over to the GP2x mostly intact will probably be much slower than DrMD, yet might be more accurate for some games, and less accurate for some others.

Since NO Emulator can be 100% perfect, the more choice the better. No use competing.

Reesy: By the way, mind adding a 68000 overclocking control to DrMD if you get a chance sometime in the process of porting it over? I've been doing a lot of overclocking of the MD in the past couple years (see my sig :) ) and I'd love to be able to smooth out some of my favorite games emulated, too. Of course this'll crank up CPU load on the 920T but I'm sure it'll still handle it with flying colors up to 12 MHz or so.

Epicenter posted on Oct 18 2005 at 05:17 PM said:
I don't see why it needs to be DrMD 'or' Linux SDL ports. The best thing for any console emulation scene is as many emulators for every system as possible.

Well emulators on limited power machines such as these need alot of optimising to get them to run well. I have tried a few older MD emus and after DrMD came out I deleted them all. Even if some sluggish linux sdl MD emu port came came out I would never use it even if it ran every game. It would be choppy and slow and probably have no sound. I would rather just play a different smooth game with good sound on DrMD. I could do without the few games that don't work on DrMD, there is pleny of other stuff. Quality before quantity I say, but that is just me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, I don't necessarily think a port of another emulator will be 'sluggish', depends on who ports it and how much work they put into it. There are already emu's running on other Linux handhelds, so it's possible. I think if a few maintainers of these emu's got a GP2X they would definitely think of porting their emu to it. Time will tell, and this is Linux, so there might be tons of people porting to it where the GP32 ran a proprietary OS and didn't have the OSS interest.

Thanx,
Stan

Back