Developer Or User?

Are you planning to develop software for the Pandora community, or just be an end user?

• Total voters

I really want to learn how to develop but right now I don't have the motivation or resources to learn Python so I'm just an end user for now. Hopefully I'll be motivated to learn after my Pandora arrives.

I put I plan to be a dev because I have hopes of learning python but I have little experience with programing (just visual basic years ago) and I haven't started learning python yet because I am currently w/o a decent computer (hopefully will change by christmas) and I have no time right now either.

What I'm really hoping is that I can learn Python on the go with my pandora. I'm sure many of us have similar plans, how many of us actually get to the finish line will probably be a small percentage.

I'm not sure if that's what you want or if you only want experienced dev's who have actual games/apps planned to to vote for "plan to dev" but I do plan to dev, as I'm sure at least half the people here do, how far I get I can't say.

Like MonkeyChops and from the same city mind you. I would like to learn Python but I only have MS Basic I was accustomed to long ago (Cause I'm older I'd imagine). I also do not exactly have a PC worth working on and who knows if I will ever get the time or the skill to make anything of any value. I'd like the Pandora to be like my first computer was, the place I learned how to make the computer DO stuff not just play games and run programs like PC's. I want that feeling of wonder and learning back, Pandora will hopefully be that, even if all I do is in Basic on an emulator.

Lots of cooks in the kitchen. Will be interesting to see what comes of it. Maybe in a few years there could be a "did you develop for the Pandora?" thread and we can all compare to this one.

EDIT: MonkeyChops lives by us too? Oh boy ;D We need to organize a northeast Ohio gp32x convention. I wonder who else there is. Consequence9 lives in Cleveland and Promised Planet lives somewhere in Ohio. We should ask him where.

Poem58 said:
I would like to learn Python but I only have MS Basic I was accustomed to long ago (Cause I'm older I'd imagine).

No way! I'm only 20, and I learned how to program using MS Basic too. It may not be a very efficient or modular language, but the freedom the syntax allows makes it great for learning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shaun. said:
I really want to learn how to develop but right now I don't have the motivation or resources to learn Python so I'm just an end user for now. Hopefully I'll be motivated to learn after my Pandora arrives.
Same position as me. I'd like to develop, but for now I'll just use it rather than develop for it.

Developer! worked on Pandora Panic, working on Wandor and still have Multiventure in my mind.

Actually there are 4-5 categories:
  1. End users
  2. Content creators (textures, sounds, models and such)
  3. Scripters and light programmers (python, perl, ruby, game scripts, etc)
  4. Application Programmers/Developers (C,C++,D and such)
5 if you count general- and game- specific content creation as different (maps and ingame object design vs textures, models, sounds and such).

CC_machine said:
  1. End users
5 if you count general- and game- specific content creation as different (maps and ingame object design vs textures, models, sounds and such).
actually theres an infinite amount of categories if you see fit to make unnecessary distinctions! good start, though

CC_machine said:
  1. End users

If anyone ever makes a poll out of this, please make it possible to choose multiple categories :)

B-ZaR said:
CC_machine said:
  1. End users

If anyone ever makes a poll out of this, please make it possible to choose multiple categories :)
2 ^ 5 = 32 categories. None, end user, content creator, end user + content creator....
I think developer and non-developer are specific enough.

lulzfish said:
2 ^ 5 = 32 categories. None, end user, content creator, end user + content creator....
Maths not required. Only 5 categories were mentioned. M'just sayin'.

lulzfish said:
I think that that's why you have "multiple choice" polls. But I agree completely with your 2[sup]nd[/sup] point.

Shaun. said:
It'll be too late to learn when your Pandora arrives as you'll instantly be a user. :)

To the few out there that are putting off the step into programming. Just do it! Crappy PC or no you can make a start.
I found a cheap copy of The L Line's Game Programming by Andy Harris. ISBN: 978-0-470-06822-9
I think I was expecting more from this but it sure has got me started. Recommended to all with basic programming skills that want to get coding.

I've learnt and forgotten a number of scripting languages but as long as Python & Pygame have enough grunt (on the Pandora) then they're a keeper.
Python is straight forward. The book helped with Pygame. I'm only using a fraction but I bite off a new subject almost every time I have a coding session.

I would like to be a developer, but I only know the very basics of C (or knew, don't remember anything about it anymore). Every now and then I think about learning Python or something, but I simply never have the time. And to be honest, there's quite a bit of other things I'd like to have time for too, learning to code is maybe 7th or 8th on the list.

ps. Now that I think about it, it's probably more like 15th... And I just realized I have quite a LOT of things I would like/have to do. Quite frankly, I should be doing some of those other things right NOW, but I'm sort of putting them off any way I can. Like posting here!

Back