Del Doesn't Work

paddy said:
Hi Ed ,can i request one added feature with your OS update ,would it be possible to add in a screensaver ? glscreensaver or xscreensaver ,if there is a performance hit without the driver just install one or two of the less demanding savers like picture screensaver or my fav stars screensaver ,just one or two savers would be tops and keep the file size down.

Ohh ,i tested gimp from a pnd someone made on the forum but i get errors when i open it and can't draw on anything ,could we have gimp ,and the pdf viewer built in to the OS firmware as it rocks and a big thanks for letting me try it out.

pretty please with sugar on top my friend !
There really isn't that much room on the NAND to install much more. I mean, if we install GIMP then people will want O:-||rg. And then there will be no room for anything at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the bump, but I found a simple fix for the non-working Delete key.

Edit your ~/.pndXmodmap file.

Change line 72 from this:
Code:
keycode 118 = Insert NoSymbol Insert
to this:
Code:
keycode 118 = Delete Insert Delete

To see the changes without rebooting load the file again with this command:
xmodmap ~/.pndXmodmap

And from now on this is how it will work:

Backspace = Backspace
Fn + Backspace = Delete
Shift + Fn + Backspace = Insert

excellent. this needs to get put in the hotfix!

incidentally does anybody know why backspace isn't working as 'go back to previous page' on firefox, or indeed 'up one level' in Thunnar?

Does your fix sort that problem out too?

Pleng posted on 20 August 2010 at 17:36 GMT+1 said:
Personally i'd like to speak against some mapping with the insert key on shift. The normal way to "really" delete something (without using the paperbin) in a filemanager is shift+del. This would not be possible with Shift+FN+Backspace having some mapping.
Now I'm in process of reflashing my pandora, but when I finish I'll try to look for the best combination. Maybe the best would be to setup Insert as Shift+Fn+Space?...

incidentally does anybody know why backspace isn't working as 'go back to previous page' on firefox, or indeed 'up one level' in Thunnar?
Does your fix sort that problem out too?
I don't think it does... And I find Angstrom's xfce very buggy

Pleng said:
I can't speak for Thunar, but if memory serves, recent Firefox versions deactivate this by default - you need to open up about:config and then set browser.backspace_action from 0 to 1. That *should* fix it.

Prometheus said:
Pleng said:
I can't speak for Thunar, but if memory serves, recent Firefox versions deactivate this by default - you need to open up about:config and then set browser.backspace_action from 0 to 1. That *should* fix it.

Yeah, I haven't figured that out. Firefox for linux seems to remove the backspace setup, yet it still works in windows. It's sort of strange. Any idea why that is?

I had no idea it still did that on Microsoft Windows, as I don't use it. The Mac version also deactivates the backspace thing by default, too, for what it's worth. :p

Prometheus said:

OK, interesting. I'll try and remember that when I get my new Pandora :)

Prometheus said:
I had no idea it still did that on Microsoft Windows, as I don't use it. The Mac version also deactivates the backspace thing by default, too, for what it's worth. :p

I'd imaging the Mac + linux versions are similar considering that MAC is Unix-ish - At least moreso than Windows/NT is.

Another very small proposal: Change the login-shell for "root" to "/bin/bash" at the first line of /etc/passwd.

Otherwise there are several issues when you login as root, forget to type "/bin/bash" and for example try to work with vi.

And still you can not clear window-manager-shortkeys (not to be mixed up with keyboard-shortkey-menu) in xfce-settings, which might block or already blocks some shortkeys that other applications try to access.

EDIT: Argh! Sorry. I just noticed that I replied to the wrong thread. A link to this thread was mentioned in some other thread that i actually wanted to comment on. :eek:)

Back