How to press DEL ?

F_Slim

IDDQD
Hi,

I never managed to figure out how to use the DEL key.

From the button design I would have guessed Shift+<-, but that also just gives me backspace. Fn+<- does INS ...

Also: is there a way to delete files from the File Manager with a Shift+DEL combination (to clarify: here I mean the "real" key combination like on a normal keyboard, to delete files directly and not move them to Trash first).

Thanks!

shift, control, start, backspace will delete the highlighted file permanently. shift and control are (brain fart, word is slipping my mind) to L and R trigger, so you can hold L & R start, and press delete

Hah, always been wondering about this. Now that's a handy "short"cut :)

Yes, that a great Shortcut, but that doen't anwser the initial question: "How to press DEL". I thing this key is missing from some keymap somewhere.

Also, when you do dmesg | tail, you see plentie of "keyboards: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 187" and same with "184", may be it is related to the missing DEL key?

On the ttys/consoles DEL (SHIFT+backspace or left_shoulderbutton+backspace) works for me: It deletes the character right to the cursor. I can't remember if that worked out of the box or if i made it work by editing "/etc/inputrc", "/etc/keymap-extension-*". I do know that I fiddled around with these files to get various things done like a working backspace from a remote-keyboard with synergy, configuring page-up/down to browse through the command-line-history and trying to get key-repetition working for cursor-keys (I didn't succeed in that so far :( ) Also I wanted to enable "jump to next/last word in line" by pressing CTRL+cursor-left/right, but alas that's not working as well yet. Remember: all this in ttys/consoles that you can get to either by exiting the login-manager by writing "exit" as username on login (type "/etc/init.d/slim-init start" as root to restart it) or by typing "chvt 1" as root and using ALT+cursor-left/right to switch between the ttys and a running X.

In X and "xterm" or "terminal" DEL is not working so far, but CTRL+cursor-left/right does jump to the next/last work (might be default). Maybe this is related to the pndxmodmap. I will try to look into this by compiling xev (shows contents of x-events) and making some tests. But that doesn't automatically mean that I will come up with something useful. ;) Also I think that this already was somewhere discussed on the forum already. But right now I prefer trying around than searching it. ;)

Rawmode for keycode 139 can't be emulated as well. All this might be related to the pndXmodmap.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the output of xev CTRL+ALT+backspace is indeed "Delete". And it's the only combination of the modifier-keys that I found to deliver that.

Be warned: If you press CTRL+ALT+backspace in the filemanager/desktop, then the selected file(s) get deleted (as in "moved to the trash") without a warning.

Additionally as explained by DaMummy, you can permanently/directly delete file(s) by pressing SHIFT with the same combination (SHIFT+CTRL+ALT+backspace) as this is nothing else but SHIFT+Del.

Be warned: Though this will warn you that you are about to permanently delete file(s) when you are pressing it in the filemanager/desktop, make sure that you know what you are deleting as you can not get it back.

CTRL+ALT+backspace also does delete the character right of the cursor in my xterm.

My .pndXmodmap in ~ and in /etc/skel/ both look the same way for this:

Code:
keycode 22 = BackSpace Delete BackSpace Delete

So from my understanding DEL should be simply SHIFT+backspace. So far I have no clue why it's not.

hm, in my terminal CTRL+ALT+backspace writes "7~", if I add SHIFT I get "8~". For example here in the Reply window in Firefox none of the possible combinations results in DEL, I either get backspace or nothing. My .pndXmodmap files both say the same as yours.

I'm running the latest firmware version, no modifications done. But I had the same on my old Rebirth unit with previous firmwares(recently upgraded to 1GHz).

You could try to use some or all settings that I specified in the "/etc/inputrc":

Code:
# /etc/inputrc - global inputrc for libreadline

# See readline(3readline) and `info rluserman' for more information.

# Be 8 bit clean.

set input-meta on

set output-meta on

# To allow the use of 8bit-characters like the german umlauts, comment out

# the line below. However this makes the meta key not work as a meta key,

# which is annoying to those which don't need to type in 8-bit characters.

set convert-meta off

# try to enable the application keypad when it is called. Some systems

# need this to enable the arrow keys.

# set enable-keypad on

# see /usr/share/doc/bash/inputrc.arrows for other codes of arrow keys

# do not bell on tab-completion

set bell-style none

# fix del when using synergy

"\e[3;7~": delete-char

# ctrl+left/right jumps a word backward/forward

"\e[1;5C": forward-word

"\e[1;5D": backward-word

# some defaults / modifications for the emacs mode

$if mode=emacs

# allow the use of the Home/End keys

"\e[1~": beginning-of-line

"\e[4~": end-of-line

# allow the use of the Delete/Insert keys

"\e[3~": delete-char

# "\e[2~": quoted-insert

"\e[2~": overwrite-mode

# mappings for "page up" and "page down" to step to the beginning/end

# of the history

# "\e[5~": beginning-of-history

# "\e[6~": end-of-history

# alternate mappings for "page up" and "page down" to search the history

"\e[5~": history-search-backward

"\e[6~": history-search-forward

# # mappings for Ctrl-left-arrow and Ctrl-right-arrow for word moving

"\e[5C": forward-word

"\e[5D": backward-word

"\e\e[C": forward-word

"\e\e[D": backward-word

$if term=rxvt

"\e[8~": end-of-line

$endif

# for non RH/Debian xterm, can't hurt for RH/DEbian xterm

"\eOH": beginning-of-line

"\eOF": end-of-line

# for freebsd console

"\e[H": beginning-of-line

"\e[F": end-of-line

$endif

Maybe just backup yours and copy this all over for a quick test.

Edit: Tried to use CTRL+ALT+backspace in Firefox too: Didn't work.

The shortkey for a DEL-workaround is cursor-right+backspace. :D

<grines> SCNR

Maybe I can write some hefty script that does the cursor-right for you? :D

Well at least now I know that it's not just something I've overlooked ...

I just realized that the combination CTRL+ALT+backspace would kill X if this would be enabled... This is not a problem for the default PandoraOS as it's not enabled there, but for an alternate PandoraOS this is another reason it should be fixed to work with just SHIFT+backspace. I'll take another look at this xmodmap-stuff, but I always find this rather confusing :/

In case someone of you is reading this: Can some Slackware-User test how/if DEL works or if it kills X?

In Slackware the DEL button behviour is exactly the same. I guess LinuxSWAT borrowed a lot of the Pandora specific settings and so on from SuperZaxxon though, so maybe this is expected.

Thanks for the info.

I must admit that I am surprised about that. I was expecting a different result.

During the last days I spend quite a lot of time on this topic. The root of the problem seems to be that the modifier "SHIFT" is completely ignored in X for the BackSpace-key. I made various tests with the /etc/keymap-extension-3.2.map-file and the xmodmap-command within X with the following results

- outside of X the Shift+Backspace-combination is working and can be configured

- within X no matter what I specify for the Shift-Backspace-combination I do not manage to make it work. Assigning itself works and afterwards you can see the configuration to be set, but Shift+Backspace does not result in the specified effect and the assigned key/function is also not shown within xev.

- trying the same without using the default XFCE-setup but using the bare X-server (same version) does not make a change to that

I wondered if this is some security-mechanism to prevent the user from killing the X-server (CTRL+ALT+BackSpace and sometimes Shift+BackSpace might be configured to kill it), but I managed to configure this behavior, was then able to kill the server by pressing CTRL+ALT+BackSpace, but still not able to make this work with Shift+BackSpace.

By the way: Even if we manage to get it working there is the problem that you can not use the combination Shift+Del (for example for permanently deleting files), as this would be Shift+Shift+BackSpace which probably is not possible to be done by pressing both Shift-keys. But for Shift+Del still the combination Ctrl+Alt+Shift+BackSpace could be used.

I am not sure where to dig any further right now. IMHO this can not be related to the kernel- or xmodmap-configuration, but might be an X-internal or HAL-related problem. It was also a HAL-keyboard-configuration that enabled me to kill the X-server. But maybe I will keep digging anyway and report if I find anything worthy.

Lomaxx, while you are at it you can also try to find why CTRL+ALT+F1 (F2,F3,...) to change console doesn't work from X...

that combination seems working only if you use an external keyboard...

@PowerGod: I will. Meanwhile you can use the following workaround: Type "sudo chvt 1" in a terminal for example.

@PowerGod: I will. Meanwhile you can use the following workaround: Type "sudo chvt 1" in a terminal for example.

Thanks, I was already using it, but it doesn't work if you have something fullscreen and you can't open a terminal, and that is the most useful function another console can have for me, to kill graphic applications, or at least trying to see what is happening, so for now the best solution I found is to use my phone to send the combination ;)

I have a similar fallback while at home: I enable USB-networking in the beginning. So if something hangs in fullscreen, then I connect the Pandora to my GentooPC via USB and can ssh to it. That way I don't have to keep WLan running.

Sorry if this is incorrect, as I am unable to follow some parts of the above thread but to return to the original question of 'how to get a delete key to work correctly?'...

I believe the answer is within the stickied 'Tips and Tweaks thread' http://boards.openpa...s-and-tweaks/�� of the support section and on page two of the thread, the answer is provided here.... http://www.gp32x.de...2#entry908414�� by joseluisjazz

Sorry for the bump, but I found a simple fix for the non-working Delete key.

Edit your ~/.pndXmodmap file.

Change line 72 from this:

keycode 118 = Insert NoSymbol Insert

to this:

keycode 118 = Delete Insert Delete

To see the changes without rebooting load the file again with this command:

xmodmap ~/.pndXmodmap

And from now on this is how it will work:

Backspace = Backspace

Fn + Backspace = Delete

Shift + Fn + Backspace = Insert

Hope that helps :)

That does help to some extend, but is only a half-hearted workaround. You will not get the key that is labeled "DEL" to work, but make the "INS"-key to act like "Delete" and instead move the "Insert"-command to a different key-combination. Instead of this you could also move "Delete" to fn+CapsLock if you do not need it. Should work.

However I would prefer to get the keyboard working like it is labeled. Alas I don't get any further so far.

I wonder if there is some package-inconsistency related to the Xorg-server-version and some dependencies. Or anything similar.

Quick update about "Alt+Ctrl+F1" assigning the function "XF86_Switch_VT_1" does work. After configuring it though xmodmap "xev" shows that this function is being triggered, but the X-server ignores it for some reason. On my GentooPC "dumpkeys" shows that "Console_13" is assigned to Ctrl+Alt+F1, but when I try to assign that on the Pandora xmodmap quits with an error about "Console_13" not being known.

Back