Debian on SD

Thought I had fixed that post 1.0.5 ... oh well, if you just do the loadkeys manually from the console, it'll work happily.. though I'm damn sure I had added it to the GDM init script to load both X side and console side.

I remember trying to fiddle around with adding it to the correct rc, but it wasn't for working properly for some reason.
Ahh, thanks, you probably did, I'm on 1.0.3 as I need to build things in it and I had problems with 1.0.5 refusing to install tools due to package conflicts, I think you might have advised me to use 1.0.3 in the IRC channel actually, never mind though, I'll just load it manually when needed -.o

Forgive me for necroing this topic, but it seemed the most appropriate place to post at the moment; anyhow, I was wondering, how exactly do I get Debian up and running on the Pandora? Is it just a matter of unzipping the .tar into the root of the SD and inserting it into slot one? BTW, does the SD have to be formatted to ext2/3, or can it be FAT or FAT32?

Last edited by a moderator:
As it says in the first post:

Be sure to untar while preserving permissions! (IE: sudo tar -xvjpf pandora-squeeze-1.0.tar.bz2 -C /my/ext2-formatted/sdcard )
--edit-- link removed, latest releases on wiki page - http://pandorawiki.o...le=Debian_On_SD

So yes... either Ext2 or Ext3 formatted SD card, untar using above flags ^

I got everything untarred and running, but now I'm being told:

"[ 11.93347] Warning: Unable to open an initial console."

At this point, it just sits there indefinitely, seemingly not reading the SD card an longer...

default username would require creating another user. I don't suggest unless you really need it because I tried creating a second user myself and was left with a user without a proper home dir or with sudo access.(aka..user creation could be improved.)

changing password would be much simpler, running passwd should do it.

Hello,

To install Debian on my pandora with a SD card.

I need to creat 2 or 3 partitions? and HOW to please?

Thanks in advance

Are the .tar files no longer being hosted? I just tried downlading 1.0.4, and got a 404 error message.

Hi Debianists,

I want to install Debian on SD from scratch, I read the Wiki, but it seems to be a little outdated.

So wich version should I use, if I want all pandora specifics features working (Leds, PNDs, etc..)?

Does anyone try to build a armhf debian system ?

From a quick look online, it seems that to use Debian armhf version, you need to have at least the following specifications:

- ARM v7

- Thumb-2

- VFP3D16

Does someone know if any of the Pandoras have these specs?

wikipedia said:
OMAP3530

65 nm

ARMv7

720 MHz ARM Cortex-A8 PowerVR SGX530

Alico's Kinetic 3500, Always Innovating Touch Book, BeagleBoard, Embest DevKit8000, Gumstix Overo Water, IGEPv2, OpenSourceMID K7 MID,[9] Oswald, Overo Water, Open Pandora, phyCARD-L OMAP-3530 SOM, TianyeIT CIP312
wikipedia said:
All ARMv7 chips support the Thumb-2 instruction set. Other chips in the Cortex and ARM11 series support both "ARM instruction set state" and "Thumb-2 instruction set state"
wikipedia said:
Some devices such as the ARM Cortex-A8 have a cut-down VFPLite module instead of a full VFP module, and require roughly ten times more clock cycles per float operation
Its somewhat harder to find references to vfp3d16 specifically (apart from debian requirements) on the internet, so I'll leave that to the experts :)

wikipedia said:
OMAP3530

65 nm

ARMv7

720 MHz ARM Cortex-A8 PowerVR SGX530

Alico's Kinetic 3500, Always Innovating Touch Book, BeagleBoard, Embest DevKit8000, Gumstix Overo Water, IGEPv2, OpenSourceMID K7 MID,[9] Oswald, Overo Water, Open Pandora, phyCARD-L OMAP-3530 SOM, TianyeIT CIP312
wikipedia said:
>All ARMv7 chips support the Thumb-2 instruction set. Other chips in the Cortex and ARM11 series support both "ARM instruction set state" and "Thumb-2 instruction set state"

Hello,

ive was build a debian-bootstrapped-version from the debian-hf branch. Its working nice :)

Ive managed to get automount, wlan, and low-power-mode into a working state.

Only major thing: compile the pandora-kernel.

When i have some time, i will pack a SD-Image and bring it to the community

So yes, debian armhf works :)

I obtained a bootable debian, with touchscreen calibrated, nubs working also as mouse, power work perfect, usb host and otg, video-out, pnds.

the only gaps are bluetooth and I didn't find a working xorg.conf. The screen is working without this, but I can't use Display link, also because I can't do usb-host startup (the startup pandora pnd doesn't work well as other pnds)

Well, xorg was also very tricky.

So i use the fbdev

her is my config:

Code:
# Minimal xorg.conf for the OpenPandora - Most things are setup by HAL and FDI's.

#Section "Module"
#	Load		"extmod"
#	Load		"dbe"
#	Disable		"glx"
#	Disable		"dri"
#	Load		"dri2"
#EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"DefaultLayout"
	Screen		"Screen0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"