Dead Systems

craigix posted on Apr 8 2004 at 01:38 AM said:
The amiga CD32 is just an amiga 1200, you could even plug in a keyboard and make it run amiga games (and run cd32 games on an amiga for that matter). So it isn't dead as there is plenty of amiga dev going on.

I'd go for the Virtuaboy as being dead Dead DEAD. Oh and some of the more obscure early 80's computers like the Jupiter Ace.

But I can't think of many more, even things like the Vic20 still have a demo scene.

Oh how about that DVD player game system (it was built into a handful of them)? I can't even remember its name, there was a kick ass version of tempest for it, that surely it is the most recent?

-Craig

www.gbax.com
I was bored at work, so I went to a virtual boy site, and someone is trying to do a stereoscopic wolfenstein clone :) so as lovecraft said: "That is not dead which can eternal lie; over strange eons even death may die ..."

Although granted their is not much going on for virtualboy. Micromart in the UK covers new retro releases: like officially endorsed Sonic for the spectrum, and Worms for the C64, it's only a page a week+they have a (small) amiga section.
I'm hoping 'retro' magazine will start covering new developments on older platforms.

As for the CD32, granted unexpanded it can't run most recent stuff, but as Craig said, if you add the SX1 expansion, you could run a lot of new miggy stuff (Napalm RTS, quake etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
No system is really dead if there's still interest in it, you couldn't say the nes was dead as they were still being made in japan up to a few years ago, I think the only truly dead systems are the ones that have been forgetten.

ANYONE who says the Amiga is dead is most definitely wrong.

The AmigaOne is a machine currently in production, with Amiga OS4 being released any time now. Amiga Inc is a real company (www.amiga.com), and it's a going concern.

I have a telstar arcade system lying around..I have a feeling that nobody is developing for that...

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=2&c=661

If anyone ever wanted one I have it lying around in box with the fliers and everything..its not in amazing condition though (box beat up) I dont have the normal connector (basic atari one) to test it..I wonder if it works.

ColinR posted on Apr 8 2004 at 03:11 AM said:
Kick ass Tempest by the god of trippy kick ass games (Jeff Minter). The system is Nuon. The last project I heard that Minter was working on was Video Light Show (or something like that) on Gamecube. It was essentially a version of Winamp's AVS as far as I could make out. Definitely not a pulse pounding shoot em up like he used to do. Tempest 2K/3K, Llamatron, Revenge Of The Mutant Camels, or Metagalactic Llamas - Battle At The Edge Of Time (fitting the title into a Vic-20 was ambitious stuff! :D )

Whoops, forgot the main point I was about to make. The 2600 had a game published for it last year. And some woman is making a new C-64 out of modern gubbins and PGAs.
jeff minter's new gamecube title is gonna be called UNITY and will indeed be a pulse-pounding shoot-em-up (crossed with AVS thus the name)

shoot-em-up + VLM = UNITY :D

large screenshot here :)

khephren posted on Apr 8 2004 at 08:57 AM said:
craigix posted on Apr 8 2004 at 01:38 AM said:
The amiga CD32 is just an amiga 1200, you could even plug in a keyboard and make it run amiga games (and run cd32 games on an amiga for that matter). So it isn't dead as there is plenty of amiga dev going on.

I'd go for the Virtuaboy as being dead Dead DEAD. Oh and some of the more obscure early 80's computers like the Jupiter Ace.

But I can't think of many more, even things like the Vic20 still have a demo scene.

Oh how about that DVD player game system (it was built into a handful of them)? I can't even remember its name, there was a kick ass version of tempest for it, that surely it is the most recent?

-Craig

www.gbax.com
I was bored at work, so I went to a virtual boy site, and someone is trying to do a stereoscopic wolfenstein clone :) so as lovecraft said: "That is not dead which can eternal lie; over strange eons even death may die ..."

Although granted their is not much going on for virtualboy. Micromart in the UK covers new retro releases: like officially endorsed Sonic for the spectrum, and Worms for the C64, it's only a page a week+they have a (small) amiga section.
I'm hoping 'retro' magazine will start covering new developments on older platforms.

As for the CD32, granted unexpanded it can't run most recent stuff, but as Craig said, if you add the SX1 expansion, you could run a lot of new miggy stuff (Napalm RTS, quake etc).
I would be VERY suprised if Sega endorsed the Spectrum version of Sonic - Besides isn't it only a demo and not a full game. Same with the C64 Worms - Its unfinished.

The sonic demo was finally released? Where can I download it? I can't seem to find it via google or on the russian news pages or at WOS (maybe in next update?).

-Craig

www.gbax.com

LeeT posted on Apr 8 2004 at 05:07 PM said:
I would be VERY suprised if Sega endorsed the Spectrum version of Sonic - Besides isn't it only a demo and not a full game. Same with the C64 Worms - Its unfinished.
Well, i'm not saying micromart is gospel, but they are normally fairly spot on with these things. Sega are not as tight as they once were, rumours on the DC emu forums reckon they left a deliberate backdoor on their very final release, allowing homebrewers into the hardware. And as for worms/sonic finished or not, the point I was making is that even the 'retro' systems are still being developed for.

AXEMAN: Don't know if you've heard, but Amiga Inc have sold the Amiga OS and machine rights to a company called Kmos (they have kept the rights to the rubbish DE though). Kmos have said it's business as usual though, so Hyperion and Eyetech can carryo n :)

Back