Just Trying Out Some New Systems

deadlychicken22

Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal
Website
Visit site
I'm only 15 years old and I didn't start playing video games until the super nintendo and sega genesis. I am now looking at getting emulators on my gp32 for older systems and trying them out. I'm looking at trying atari 2600, turbografx 16 (already have a couple games for this), colecovision, and sega master system. Can someone please suggest which games to get for these systems? (and possibly other systems I forgot to mention). I am also interested in playing MAME games but have no idea which games to get and how to get them in "romset .034" (or whatever its called). Can someone please explain this to me? I also tried out c64 but I couldn't figure out how to get the games to run in frodo. I got armalyte for it in a .d64 format and I tried loading it by going to "load .prg" and by going to "load d64/dir browser". I would then select the game and all it did was show a white screen. I also tried "it's magic" in it and had the same problem. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a bunch,
-ben

After I attach a d64 and load it it gives me the following text:
Code:
Load":*",8,1:

Searching for :*
?File not found  error
Ready.
Run

Ready.

I'm sure i'm just doing something stupid, but I have no idea what it is. I went to "Reset c=64" and tried it again a couple times but I got the same thing for both games.

Welcome,

The 2600 emulator is a bit poor so don't expect much there.

As for suggesting games, it depends on the sort of games you like, here are some that I liked:

Master System:
Outrun, Hang-on, Wonderboy III, RC Grand Prix, Time Soldiers, Sonic, California Games, Great Baseball, world Grand Prix, Fantasy Zone, Rastan.

TurboGrafx:
AirZonk, Alien Crush, Bonk (1 & 2), Devil Crush, R-Type.

ColecoVision:
Boulderdash, Choplifter, Pitfall!.. can't remember any more.

C64:
Try getting hold of .prg files as they seem to load more often then d64 images. You sound like you are pressing the right buttons, try it with some .prgs.

Other systems that you didn't mention that I think are worth a look are: Atari ST, Atari 800, NES, Spectrum, are all also worth a look.

Can't help much with the mame I'm afraid as I don't really play with it much.

Thanks. I already have nes and a bunch of games for it (thats one of the older systems I actually have played a lot of). I tried out the sms, turbografx, and colecovision and I think that they are all pretty good. However, I have a couple questions:
What system has the best version of donkey kong (original) and donkey kong jr.?
When I put new roms in fcol32 (or whatever its called) it doesn't show them, where do I go to refresh the rom list?
What games are good for the atari 800 and spectrum?
I really like the colocovision but I have no idea what are good games for it. I got dig dug, galaxia, dragon fire, burger time, frenzy, gorp, and the ones you recommended (which wouldn't show up in the menu, as I said above). I like them but none of them feel truly great to me like many arcade games do. Are there better games for it?
Finally, what are some good atari st games?

Thanks

I haven't played much on the ST, but a couple of good games are gods, nebulus, nitro.

I've owned a couple of c64s (and love them) with oodles of games, and there are so many to choose from. Some of the newer ones that are good are:
bod squad
DJ puffs volcanic capers
reckless rufus (puzzle)
slicks
bug bomber
creatures (I, II and III)
first samurai
mayhem in monsterland (brialliant technically for a c64 game if you can get it to run)
tilt

Older classics include:
Commando
silkworm
bubble bobble
rick dangerous (I am amazed at how close this is to higher spec systems)
way of the exploding fist
archon (best with a mate and two joysticks tho)
giana sisters

Nice games I always liked on colecovision:
Pepper II (Like Qix but with tracks)
Smurf (although It became a pain pretty fast for me later on)
Cosmic Avenger
Zaxxon (an arcade classic)
Rock 'n Rope
Slither (sorta like centipede)
BC's Quest For Tires
Illusions (kinda a weird game but I still found myself playing it for hours as a kid once I understood how it played)
Venture

Those are just what I can remember off the top of my head I had or have most of them, growing up! I don't know which run in the emulator though since I havent tried it.

I've tried Airzonk in GPengine and it suffers from some serious sprite problems so I dont know how enjoyable it'd be.

I agree totally on most of the SMS games mentioned except for Out run since you can get that for DrMD. Alien Crush and Devils Crush are great pinball games for the TG16 and Genesis I beleieve has a version of devils crush... or possibly both I forget.

I'd also suggest that there are a ton of fun NES games you can play on LittleJohn.

SMS:
- Shinobi (the best version of all in my opinion)
- Alex Kidd in Miracle World
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Fantasy Zone
- Alien 3
- Asterix
- Afterburner
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Atari 800 XE/XL:
- Draconus
- International Karate
- Montezuma's Revenge
- Rescue on Fractalus
- Jungle Hunt
- Conan
- Goonies
... so many others :)

Check this post for info on how to extract .prgs from disk images.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=20096

If you can get the latest version of the Amstrad CPC emulator to work there are some great classics on their, Silkwork, Swiv, Gauntlet, buggy boy, Solomans Key (that runs better on Little John Nes emulator though)

Some work better on the Spectrum emulator FZX32 but not always as good graphics. Have you ever played the Dizzy adventure games? They will keep you going for ages!

If you like Shooters try out GP Engine & try Super Star Soldier (Great Game!) This is also a great emu and a lot of classics on this format too & it runs flawlessly...

Have fun :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The best Donkey Kong conversion in my opinion is the Colecovision one.
Most OLD Arcade game are best on the Colecovision (i.e. Q*Bert, Donkey Kong, Zaxxon, Lady Bug, ...)

On Colecovision my favourite games are:

Venture
Q*Bert
Antarctic Adventure (though the MSX version is better)
Donkey Kong
Smurf
H.E.R.O.
Lady Bug

Some games I love on the C64:

Impossible Mission
Law of the West
Racing Destruction Set (though it only makes fun with two players)
Archon 1 and 2
Aztec Challenge (yes, it gets good after the first running / spear sequence)
The Goonies
Bruce Lee
Bomb Jack 1 and 2
Jumpman and Jumpman Jr.
FIST II
Frankie goes to hollywood
Ghosts'n'Goblins
International Karate +
Jack The Nipper
Kikstart II
Krakout (LOOOOVE the music!)
Lazy Jones
Murder on the Mississippi
Neuromancer
Nexus
Pharaoh's Curse
Pirates!
Realm of Impossibility
The Rocky Horror Show
Solomon's Key
They Stole a Million
To be On Top
Zorro

And Atari800:
Well, can't say I've played more than MULE there, but it really rocks :)

deadlychicken22 posted on Aug 14 2005 at 04:27 AM said:
What games are good for the atari 800 and spectrum?

Finally, what are some good atari st games?

Thanks

Atari 800 (My first computer BTW):
Bomb Fusion
Encounter
Fantastic Soccer
Great American Cross Country Road Race
Mule
Star Raiders
Up Up and Away
Video Classics

Spectrum:
Dizzy (any)
Back to School
errm...never had one...anyone else wish to add some here?

Atari ST:
Super Sprint
Buggy Boy
Xenon 2
populous
Interphase
Super Hang On
Sim City
Weird Dreams
Vroom

When I put new roms in fcol32 (or whatever its called) it doesn't show them, where do I go to refresh the rom list?

Try pressing select twice on the games list. That works with all the older 'f' emus.

the best ST game in my opinion is stunt car racer - a fantastic game and possibly better than the amiga version too!

I really like those collecovision games you guys recommended. I also like the sega master system quite a bit (not as much as nes though). I will try atari 800 and spectrum in a little while. Thanks for all the help.

deadlychicken22 posted on Aug 14 2005 at 06:45 PM said:
I really like those collecovision games you guys recommended. I also like the sega master system quite a bit (not as much as nes though). I will try atari 800 and spectrum in a little while. Thanks for all the help.

Great to see younger people enjoy classic games!
Most guys at your age wouldn't look at a game that doesn't involve over-hyper-dimensional 3D graphics in it.

Really cool :)

Last edited:
Thats exactly what my friend dan says. He even says that when I play ps1 games or the original half-life ("why would you play that when you could play half-life2 which has better graphics and physics engine?".). He has his own $1400 computer which he made himself with the a little help from his dad and he can play just about any game out there on highest quality. I personally think that many older games are more fun than newer games, as i'm sure most people on this board do.

Most GP32 users do :)
That's why I think the gpx2 will be perfect, as it will be fast enough for ALL the "classic" console systems (pre-N64 ones) :)

Alpha2 posted on Aug 14 2005 at 05:38 AM said:
Illusions (kinda a weird game but I still found myself playing it for hours as a kid once I understood how it played)

I was really confused how to play it also. I beat the first level and I still have no idea how. I'm not even sure how i'm controlling the characters (seems like if I press on the control stick they reverse direction). Could you please explain it to me?

EDIT: Also, what system has the best version of lunar lander? Or is there only one version (original arcade)...

Yeah see, you arnt really controlling them so much as just their direction at certain points on the stage, as they turn corners if you;re holding the button they'll split or merge as required in order to complete the level. I think the back grounds determine which direction they'll go when they split.

Hard to explain but it comes to you with trial and error.

Back