Don't Write Off The 8 Bit Computers!

BaDToaD

"Very" Old Timer
Website
cwhippogames.wixsite.com
This post is aimed at those of you who haven't yet taken the plunge and tried one of the 8 bit computer emulators. Don't write them off. Yes they are more awkward than the console emulators but they are also just as rewarding.

All those of you who owned Spectrums, Commodore 64s, Atari 800s, MSX, Amstrads etc know what I mean. Just because the graphics on the speccy, c64 and Atari etc aren't as pretty as some of the consoles don't think the games are crap. They aren't. In fact some of the very best games out there are on the 8 bit computers. In some instances the 8 bit version of games are more playable than the 16 bit ones.

Try encounter on the Atari 800 if you want a VERY fast paced solid graphic Battlezone type game. Or the highly original Alley Cat. Years ahead of it's time and 20 years old. Or the awesome Dropzone which makes normal defender seem boring.

On the c64 there is the classic platformer Giana Sisters that inspired the excellent Gianas Return. Ghostbusters, one of the few games based on a film that really works. Spindizzy, an excellent marble madness inspired game. Nebulus, still one of my favorite platform games some 17 years after its release.

As for the speccy. There are the excellent Dizzy games. Manic Miner. the game that more or less defined early platform games along with it's excellent follow up Jet Set Willy. 3D death chase, a kind of speeder bike race with really simple graphics that just somehow works really well. Chuckie Egg, Jetpac, SkoolDaze the list goes on for each of these systems.

These are just the systems I owned. There are many others emulated nicely on the GP32. Dragon32, MSX, Commodore Plus 4. Decent Amstrad emulation is just around the corner too.

So! What are you waiting for. There's never been a better time to get into 8 bit computer emulation. Download one of the emulators for these great systems and have a blast from the past. You won't regret it.

As for you guys that know what I'm talking about post a few of your favorites here to give them some idea of what the systems can offer.

Mmmm yeah ok. I love you too V3X. ;)

BTW Let's not let this degenerate into a my computer was/is better than your computer sort of thing. I want the thread to give some insight into the fun the the 8 bit computers can give. Which 8 bit is of no interest to me as any interst can only be a good thing. A console player who trys a c64 emulator is more likely to go on and try speccy, MSX, Dragon32 etc.

yeah ok, u ppl should really try nemesis 1-3 on msx as well as alesteeggerland mystery 1-2, knightmare 1-2, metal gear 1-2, parodius and vampire killar. all r great games! :)

i wanted to play silkworm on the c64 (since there is no amiga emulator :huh: ), but it's a .tap file and i cant get it to work. i don't know what to do with it <_<

If I'm not mistaken, you can get Carrier Command on the Atari ST. Awesome game, worth getting for sure.

I've tried, really I have but I just can't get the hang of it. I think my problem is I never had an 8 bit console and therefore know nothing about them. An emulator prolly isn't the best way to learn how to use a C64 or an Amstrad or whatever.

Shame though, I really wanna play Dizzy as well... :p

The ST is 16bit so doesn't count

But yes there are so many excellent 8bit computer games it's pretty much impossible to list them all. One of my all time favourites is H.E.R.O. which is available for several 8bit computers (and consoles)

@ Concept. If you get stuck ask mate. There are plenty of people here that will give you a helping hand.

PS. Cheeseman I like your avatar it's from Alley Cat on the Atari 8bit (or another 8bit version) for those that didn't know. :)

V3X posted on Oct 17 2004 at 12:34 PM said:
yeah ok, u ppl should really try nemesis 1-3 on msx as well as alesteeggerland mystery 1-2, knightmare 1-2, metal gear 1-2, parodius and vampire killar. all r great games! :)

Don't forget SD Snatcher...one of the best RPGs available on an 8-bit system.

In all honesty I tend to find myself enojying 16-bit games more than 8-bit, but if you pick and choose carefully you can find some great games on systems like the C64 and Master System.

Last edited by a moderator:
Up and Down on C64 needs to be played as does Drelbs. I play those games more than anything.

c0ncept posted on Oct 17 2004 at 01:05 PM said:
I've tried, really I have but I just can't get the hang of it. I think my problem is I never had an 8 bit console and therefore know nothing about them. An emulator prolly isn't the best way to learn how to use a C64 or an Amstrad or whatever.

Shame though, I really wanna play Dizzy as well... :p

Go to Lemon64 (the URL is in my signature). You will have to register to access the forum. Do that, look under 'Help & Support' and there is a FAQ, which should answer questions about the C64.

Similarly for the Spectrum, visit 'World Of Spectrum' - An impressive colelction of info.

don't forget jumpman on c64!!
that is one of my favorite platformers!
plus there is a random level mode to
keep it fresh

edit - and henry's house as well
(thats just my nostalgia speaking though :D )

edit again - hey LeeT!
i just checked out that lemon64 site
and found out that jumpman actually had a
story! i played half my life w/o
knowing that

Bert posted on Oct 17 2004 at 12:52 PM said:
i wanted to play silkworm on the c64 (since there is no amiga emulator :huh: ), but it's a .tap file and i cant get it to work. i don't know what to do with it <_<

The rival of the Amiga was of course the Atari ST. Not as great as the Amiga but not far behind. Try Silkworm on the Atari ST emulator, very good it is

Hidehi campers,

Here's my list of fave 8 bit games :

On the Spectrum:
Jetpac - Fun with a thruster and a gun.
Manic Miner - Miner Willy goes hunting for Gems.
Jet Set Willy - Manic Miner 2, have you got a Jet set willy?
Cookie - Lets russle up some pudding.
Jumping Jack - Lovely platformer, with holes.
Maziacs - Big sword, bigger monsters.
Pogo - Best with the currah u-speech.
Trapdoor - BERK FEEEED MEEE.
Spectres - Pacman, with a twist.
Hungry Horrace - Another Pacman twisty game.
Pssssst - Gardening at its best!
Zig Zag - 3D Maze Game, rather kewl too.
Arcadia - Sort of space invading galaxian nutters.

On the BBC Micro:
Chuckie Egg - Jumpy uppy downy platformer, with eggs.
Frak - ^&$*(# <-- that's what he says when he dies.

I think that's enough to be getting on wiv.

Enjoy,
Clare.

Agreed -- great topic to introduce some old classics to newer gamers.

Here are a few that I believe still hold up today:

EDIT: forgot to point out these are all for the Commodore 64 (though good versions exist on other 8-bits, obviously)

Paradroid
Retrograde
Zenji
Impossible Mission 1 & 2
Citadel
Maniac Mansion
Deflektor
IK+
Uridium
LED Storm
California Games
Nebulus
Armalyte
Barbarian 2
Dragon Ninja
Ghosts & Goblins
Commando
Gauntlet 2
Stunt Car Racer
Turrican
Mega Apocalypse
Gyruss
Split Personalities
Insects in Space
Iridis Alpha (read some instructions first, it's very weird)
Gribbly's Special Day Out
Hunter's Moon
Head Over Heels
Puzznic
Kik Start II
Rainbow Islands
Ikari Warriors
Buggy Boy
Cybernoid 2
Green Beret
Parallax
Starquake
Into The Eagle's Nest
Rygar
Solomon's Key
Bubble Bobble
Spyhunter
Wizball
Project Firestart
Boulder Dash II
Trailblazer
Rebounder
H.E.R.O.
Strangeloop
Up & Down
Bruce Lee
Park Patrol

I haven't mentioned Dropzone because it has a sprite collision bug on Frodo32, and there are a ton of great games which need the chatboard to play properly.

There are a heap more games that I have forgotten or left out (Beach Head 2, Microrpose Soccer, Monty on the Run, Yie Ar Kung Fu, I could go on forever!) -- there really is a whole world to discover in 8-bit computers... add the amazing libraries of the MSX, Specturm, Atari 800... I don't see how anyone can ever say they're bored of the GP32!

8-bit emus and computers are still great! Just cos the graphics aint as flashy, doesn't mean the gameplay is the same! In fact, it's usually the other way around! Many 8-bit games were better than their 16-bit counterparts, just becasue they took more care with the attention to detail and gameplay...

thanks gaterooze, there are a few games there I hadn't tried - always after new C64 recommendations :D

I have a few lesser known gems that work on Frodo to let you know about;

Dino Eggs - Amazingly involved platform game where you have to transport dinosaur eggs through time to prevent the dinos becoming extinct !!

Hunchback - funny flip screen game similar to the original pitfall

Toy Bizarre - Clockwork antics with switches and buttons

Bounty Bob Strikes Back - A classic, just perfect those half-jumps and you're away

Ultimate Wizard - Top quality get the key and find the exit with spells and other cool stuff

Blagger - Like manic miner but better imo

I'm up for a high score challenge at any of these games should you fancy it

Back