Davec's Joy Cap No Longer Works For Me :(

Dorian Grey posted on Feb 11 2006 at 10:03 AM said:
No the simple solution is to contact the distributer on Monday and just ask for a refund and forget the whole sorry story, even the the normal joystick cap has started to do it, when I'm moving to left or right it sometimes gets stuck and the whole thing wont move left or right further, the stem is not touching the sides ... its just crap. Its happening when the shaft mechanims is twisting like a paddle !
Is the Cap top/underneath touching the sides though? I had the problem where my stick 'knob' kept hitting the top of the case. Did some filing and its fine now.

edit: Actually I get the same problem, only noticable when I do fireball motions though..

Last edited by a moderator:
Daves Cap made me destroy my GP2X Stick :lol: ... with it i could play NeoGeo Games and enjoy it, because i could do the combos and special-moves ... sadly this was to much for the stick.... :(
I hope ED recieves a spare-stick from gph, so i can do something with my gp again.

sounds like the joystick assembly was messed up...the metal rod should not be twisting! but if you say you're having the same problems with the stock stick now, maybe you can return it for a better unit? how long did you try it with the regular cap before you switched it? cause i am doing just fine with that one...although i realize that's subjective.

hope it all works out for you. i've gotta say that although i had my gripes at first, since i spent a couple days getting my unit set up the way i liked, i am constantly marveled at how this machine can play sega, neo geo, mame, quake, kobo, beats of rage, and on and on.

again i hope it works out for you as they're not cheap!

you got a faulty joystick assembly. Your luck is unfortunate to have gotten two broken gp2x's in a row. Just have them replace your joystick or give you a new unit. Your luck can't be bad enough to have a problem with the next unit, most people don't have any probs at all. The solution is simple...send it back in and quit bitching or better yet, go buy a psp and bitch on their boards

its all that bloody twisting of the joystick thats what messes it up look at i think davecs dissection of the joystick assembly

its a crappy joystick as it is you can turn slightly either way to adjust it a little but if you go over baord its bound to break

OmarNawaz posted on Feb 12 2006 at 02:38 AM said:
its all that bloody twisting of the joystick thats what messes it up look at i think davecs dissection of the joystick assembly

its a crappy joystick as it is you can turn slightly either way to adjust it a little but if you go over baord its bound to break

Actually the stick mechanism is pretty robust when not defective. The shaft is keyed into a slot in the hat piece and that is octagon shaped so it doesn't twist. It can withstand an extreme amount of force before it breaks. When I was testing different cap designs I must have twisted and untwisted caps for over 20 different caps and my stick still works.

There are limits though. If you are one of those that torque on the stick like a gorrilla while playing a game or changing caps, any stick can fail no matter what cap is on it. The original GP32 stick would lose diagonals with rough use. When playing don't beat on it.

Dorian's problem is not the cap or the installation, he just got a duff joystick. He even says it has a problem with the original cap too, so it is borked.

It may be GPH's fault for choosing this stick but not for the defect. The joysticks are made by ALPS not GPH.

A note on failed hardware:

I have a Creative Zen Micro, which, as I need to tell nearly everyone after I utter its name, is very much like an iPod mini. It's made by Creative, makers of sound blaster and lots of reasonably popular products, mostly dealing with audio. No slouches as a company.

The early Zen Micros had problems. Some people got a duff unit - usually the only problem was - get this - poorly soldered headphone jacks separating from their mount point and ceasing to function.

On the audiophile board Head-Fi (even tin-eared people like myself can benefit from the wisdom of sages there) there was one guy who was some kind of unfortunate sap who gained a little fame - this was because he'd gotten, one after another, SEVEN (may be off, but not by more than two) duds. Seven non-functioning units in a row.

The guy eventually got a working unit, and was quite happy. I have an early-run Zen Micro, never had any problems, still love it. I'm a high school student, it's the most expensive thing I've ever purchased, and I'd say I've used it fairly, getting more hours out of it than dollars I put in already.

The major complaint against the Zen Micro was not the production problems - they were hardly ever mentioned, even in early reviews, except as a kind of warning. The only thing that anyone ever remembered as being bad about it was that "it wasn't an iPod".

That's presumably what we're getting here - a high-class, probably better in many or most cases, alternative brand and feature set piece of tech equipment for a decent price. Yes, some units are defective, and yes, some "quirks" will be seen as non-issues or serious defects depending on who you ask. It's not going to replace the market leaders in all probability, but it will serve its owners well. Any unfortunates who get screwed by production problems should be given medals, even if they do go off in a huff with money in their pocket and the device unenjoyed.

Really, while if you give up on the GP2X I wonder why you bought it in the first place, production error problems happen at all levels of business (recall the recent stories of iPods destroying headphones?) and minor design deficiencies are eventually ironed out (again, look to Apple's annoyingly popular music players and their evolution over time - first-gen iPods are practically unrecognizable now.).

Dorian Gray, what you and other dissatisfied customers is, of course, your prerogative. I have nothing to gain from getting you to stay or making you leave; I would ask that you consider the device on its merits and your experiences while understanding that weird stuff happens and not making absurd generalizations. Similarly, defenders shouldn't tell anyone to "just put up with" perceived problems in something they paid for - if they think there is a problem, the unit should be returned. Sony told people to just put up with crappy square buttons on the PSP and received no end of flak for it (not that it hurt business).

In any case, make your decision and get on with it if you don't like the GP2X - just don't develop a vendatta against a handheld so many people genuinely enjoy (as a couple of thousand people obviously aren't deluding themselves). That's rather dense and wastes everyone's time.

Have a nice day.

Prothall, best post of the week!

The thing is, anyone who buys a GP2x is gonna know it isn't an 'easy' ride. You don't stick in a cartridge and off you go. You 'tweak' We are all happy happy tweakers here!

But if you get Mame working, on a 1gig card and spend a few weeks ploughing through these old arcade games...That's worth it.

Dorian Grey posted on Feb 11 2006 at 05:51 PM said:
Having just received a replacement GP2X which worked ok with DaveCs cap, my new unit has lots of problems with the cap.

When I ran some games I noticed it would become unresponsive and which I twisted it 360 degress nothing happened then I would move the joystick another way and it would work. I just tried the joystick test routine and the same problem, it works then it does not.

I isolated the problem down to the clicking mechanism of the joystick and davec's cap, because what happens is that pressing down the joystick with all the weight at an extreme angle (caused by the size of the cap) causes the stick to get locked and not snap back, when its in this position nothing happens until I move it and it clicks back into place.

When I use the normal cap this does not happen because the area that moves the joystick with the weight is much more centered.

I tried different sizes of paper in the shaft and was able to reproduce this problem. I can only assume that the stem of the stick is much larger, because it appears much larger than my other model.

Anybody else seen this problem ?

DG

Perhaps this has been answered already, but it could be that in Grey's case the cap sits too low on the metal shaft. If it sits too low the movements will not be registered anymore because it will touch the casings edges. Try moving it up a little. But then again, mr Dorian probably has returned his gp2x already and the gp2x is now being crapped on by important review blogs/sites.

Anyways, it still is a pretty cool black little 1st edition device!

I guess what really riled me yesterday was people with their "put up and shut up" attitude and how gratefull I must be to have an open handheld. There seems to be a lot of it on this board.

DG

Can see this point. But you have to remember that most of us have been GP32 users, we know about problems.

There are a lot of people who think that owning an open source handheld will be as easy as using a PSP, and when they come on these boards and sound off to us about how it's just not, well it gets people's blood up a bit. We never sold it to you, so why get so angry at us?

Basically, you get more for your money with a GP2x than with a PSP or a DS. And it sounds like you weren't prepared to stick with the GP2x. Then you came on here and sounded off. Non of us here are GPH fanboys, we are fan boys about what the possibilities of this machine are, and what it can already do. But it isn't easy, when I got Mame to work on the GP32, it took a few days of fiddling. But then I had weeks of real old school fun.

It really sounds like you didn't know what to expect from your gp2x, so you should send it back and just stick to mainstream gaming. You will be missing out, but if you can't stand the difficulties then... I don't mean this rudely, it's just never gonna be that easy. Sure you can expect good build quality, but it isn't that bad.

But you really will miss out. I mean, Mame. Oh maaaammmmmeeeeee.....

Mark1970 posted on Feb 12 2006 at 03:03 AM said:
Perhaps this has been answered already, but it could be that in Grey's case the cap sits too low on the metal shaft. If it sits too low the movements will not be registered anymore. Try moving it up a little. But then again, mr Dorian probably has returned his gp2x already and the gp2x is now being crapped on by important review blogs/sites.

No that isn't the reason as I now have the same problem as he/she has. However it only happens when I make large circle motions with the stick, it makes it feel liike the stick has disconnected, locks then connects again. (see DaveCs post eariler)

Yeah Yaustar thats exactly what I have, so when your playing it will occasionally happen and you have not movement, oh well i've somehow fixed the problem by sticking a screw driver into the cap hole and expanding it a bit, and then putting some paper in it.
This is the default cap mind, i'll see if the problem remains.

What i've done is make the cap a bit loose, since it will no longer grip the shaft to twist it. I'm not gonna do it to DaveCs cap though. I think sometime i'll just buy the ALP joystick for 6 pounds somewhere and fit it myself. With Daves cap the problem will be more pronounced unti I fit a new PCB joystick replacement from the funny one I have now.

In the meantime I have a round rubber patch from a bike tyre repair kit i'm going to apply on the top to get more grip and some super glue.

Oh and while people dont have these problems, they could be just something waiting to happen in the future for them.

BTW Daves Cap is great and if you can, BUY IT FROM HIM.

DG.

Mark1970 posted on Feb 12 2006 at 02:03 PM said:
Perhaps this has been answered already, but it could be that in Grey's case the cap sits too low on the metal shaft. If it sits too low the movements will not be registered anymore because it will touch the casings edges. Try moving it up a little. But then again, mr Dorian probably has returned his gp2x already and the gp2x is now being crapped on by important review blogs/sites.

I answered it a few posts back. Since I have dissected a joystick assembly I know the problem. It is the center button that is damaged allowing the brass shaft to go too low causing it to come out of its groove and turn and then jam.

It is the joystick itself that is defective or damaged and not an installation issue. He said that the original GPH cap now does the same thing.

yaustar posted on Feb 12 2006 at 05:16 PM said:
No that isn't the reason as I now have the same problem as he/she has. However it only happens when I make large circle motions with the stick, it makes it feel liike the stick has disconnected, locks then connects again. (see DaveCs post eariler)

Same behaviour here, and I feel it's getting worse and worse...

Mine works perfect. Maybe you guys press too hard when installing it, or when transporting the 2x in a case, it pushes in too hard.

PSyMastR posted on Feb 14 2006 at 05:26 PM said:
Mine works perfect. Maybe you guys press too hard when installing it, or when transporting the 2x in a case, it pushes in too hard.

I really don't think so... My GP2x is always in the official GP2X case and I'm not a brutal guy :)
I think that because I play with it about 3 hours a day (it's a long way to go to work :/ ) this problem appeared faster.

I really think that with time we won't be the only ones having the problem...

The main problem is that I think it won't be easy to fix.

Back