I Just Got Davec's Cap, Review Inside =>

T

TelcoLou

Holy. F*%$&!. CRAP!!

1000% better; even better than the Retrocon mod! It immedately felt super-comfortable and the concave design fit my thumb perfectly. Whereas the Retrocon cap, even though it has a rubber coating, is smaller and I found myself tryng to 'center' my thumb in the subtle dimple. DaveC's cap allows you to lay your thumb in a more natural flat position inside the large concave. Ths will prevent cramping I'm sure :)

I had to stuff a teeny bit of paper inside the sleeve, as it sat too low, hitting the sides of the joystick 'well'.

Afterwards, I fired up the best platformer ever (Kid Chameleon for Genesis) and was truly amazed at the improved responsiveness. Maybe now I'll finally be able to finish this game (14 years ... must be some knd of record :lol: )

I HIGHLY suggest you get one (if he's still making them) ... you'll be amazed.

Thanks DaveC . :D

sounds good maybe a korean company could outsource the production of them to DaveC (USA).

i feel like getting one even though i havent got my gp2x yet.

The best thing about this cap, is it made the stick feel more like an arcade joystick (which is good in my eyes). With the stock stick, i found myself having to push the stick with my thumb, which was annoying. With this one your thumb stays right in place. Its very precise feeling.

sounds good maybe a korean company could outsource the production of them to DaveC (USA).

I've got one (arrived today, faster than I expected :) ) even though I don't have my GP2X yet (shipped today, hopefully here tomorrow.) I wanted to get one just in case DaveC got fed up of making them, I thought it would be better to have one just in case the stick is as back as people say.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've got one (arrived today, faster than I expected :) ) even though I don't have my GP2X yet (shipped today, hopefully here tomorrow.) I wanted to get one just in case DaveC got fed up of making them, I thought it would be better to have one just in case the stick is as back as people say.

Be sure to use the stock cap for awhile first, then use Dave's ... you'll appreciate it more ;)

right that does it, im going to PM dave right now. right!

Gah! You can't believe how frustrating this is. I would order one this very minute if it wasn't for paypals damn registration system. When I type in my phone number I get some kind of "wrong format" error. Have tried alot of different aproaches (xxxxxxxx, xxx-xxx-xxx +xxxxx-xxxxxx, ...), nothing works..

DaveC, get a patent, before somebody copies you and sells it for less! :D

P.S. That is the first time(in my memory)I gave DaveC (good)advice........

i hope i get mine soon i payed him on Sunday how long did it take for some of you guys to get it

DaveC, get a patent, before somebody copies you and sells it for less! :D

P.S. That is the first time(in my memory)I gave DaveC (good)advice........

Well thanks guys.

Unfortunatly I don't think you can patent a stick cap. Even if you could the cost of that would be more than I would ever make. I am not getting rich on it, I have to take out postage, plus paypal whacks me some too. Some on here have whined about the price but honestly after postage and paypal fees if I sold it for less it really wouldn't be worth the time to make. I have to make each one on a lathe, it is not like I have a mold or CNC to pump them out cheaply. Eventually maybe GPH will even come with a molded cap for dirt however I don't know how good it will be. Theirs will be certainly made from cheap styrene or ABS. My caps are nylatron GS though which is a kind of metal impregnated (molybdenum) nylon and is much tougher (and expensive material) than anything GPH will come out with. Look at them in a bright light or sun, you will see a kind of steely sheen to them.

From a website:

"NYLON

Nylon is the generic name for a family of long-chain polymeric amides. General characteristics of the nylons include toughness, strength, abrasion and fatigue resistance, low coefficient of friction, resiliency and heat resistance. Many of these properties can be enhanced by the addition of fillers such as molybdenum disulphide (Nylatron-GS). Nylons are resistant to hydrocarbons, alkalies, keytones and esters"

Back