Davec Seal Of Approval

andyB911

Website
Visit site
Open question to DaveC.... your presence hasn't been heard much recently, but assume that this means you've been busy involved in the pandora devt.

A key part of the long term success of the machine will be the ergonomics of the game controls (gp2x joystick anyone?).

I've happily parted with my cash and sure I'll be delighted with the Pandora regardless but its hard to know at this stage how comfortable real (extended) use will be... will it be something that you can comfortably play games on for hours at a time?

With obvious progress towards a working example, interested to know when we will know if it has the 'DaveC Seal of Approval'. Well... as a member of the team I'd assume your comments will be somewhat guarded, but some news on your thoughts on the controllers would be great. Or a date when you think you might be able to provide.

And can you play vertical MAME games?? :p

I've been wondering something similar myself actually, but this is for anyone on the team. As andyB911 stated I'll definitely be satisfied either way, I'm just curious. What controller can you draw the closest comparison to the feel of the d-pad & buttons (respectively)?

andyB911 said:
Open question to DaveC.... your presence hasn't been heard much recently, but assume that this means you've been busy involved in the pandora devt.

A key part of the long term success of the machine will be the ergonomics of the game controls (gp2x joystick anyone?).

I've happily parted with my cash and sure I'll be delighted with the Pandora regardless but its hard to know at this stage how comfortable real (extended) use will be... will it be something that you can comfortably play games on for hours at a time?

With obvious progress towards a working example, interested to know when we will know if it has the 'DaveC Seal of Approval'. Well... as a member of the team I'd assume your comments will be somewhat guarded, but some news on your thoughts on the controllers would be great. Or a date when you think you might be able to provide.

This system got the DaveC Seal of Approval *glisten* about a year ago. He even already addressed his position on its ability to play vertical emulation. Please use the search function, I believe it is somewhere in the infamous "Our New Machine" topic.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
andyB911 said:
I've asked this for myself a while ago. You CAN Play vertical Mame games...but only on the HORIZONTAL Pandora. I have a 1:1 Mockup of the Console and holding that thing verticaly like a book is not a good way to play games. Especialy not Arcade Games and especialy not if you hunt for the new Highscore. :D
You could use D-Pad and Keyboard as Action buttons but then, the screen is sideways left from the D-Pad - it is really not comfortable.
Horizonal games should be played normal, so we will have to use the screen horizontal and waste a good bunch of screen area left and right. ^_^

fusion_power said:
andyB911 said:
I've asked this for myself a while ago. You CAN Play vertical Mame games...but only on the HORIZONTAL Pandora. I have a 1:1 Mockup of the Console and holding that thing verticaly like a book is not a good way to play games. Especialy not Arcade Games and especialy not if you hunt for the new Highscore. :D
You could use D-Pad and Keyboard as Action buttons but then, the screen is sideways left from the D-Pad - it is really not comfortable.
Horizonal games should be played normal, so we will have to use the screen horizontal and waste a good bunch of screen area left and right. ^_^

DaveC said that that method of playing was fine, just not ideal.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
DaveC said that that method of playing was fine.

-God Ginrai
And my Mockup (simple Paper/cardboard model but 1:1 measurements of Case and Lid) tells me that it will be not as good as it was with the GP2X in Portrait Mode and the screen straight above the D-Stick (PAD) and the volume buttons. You CAN Play this way with the Pandora, the Keyboard has enough Buttons as Action Button replacement holding the Unit verticaly. But it really is, well, some kind of strange gaming-feeling.

The obscure number of people who want to play sideways games for prolonged periods of time can just plug in a usb controller. Problem solved. It may not work as well on the bus, but I think people can find something else to play or do in those moments.

Regarding playing vertically oriented games, I've just done a little test on my DS, and using your right hand for the d-pad with your left holding the top screen and pressing the shoulder button seems to work okay. And you could just quickly press a keyboard button with your right hand for bombs, or maybe even assign a touchscreen tap for that? I tried playing something like this, controlling and looking at something on the top screen and it didn't seem particularly wierd. You'd probably get used to it pretty quickly.

It's definitely not going to be as good as it was on the GP2X though. That was probably my favourite feature of the GP2X to be honest... As a big shmup fan this is quite a big deal for me, and I'm sure i'm not the only one. It definitely shouldn't just be dismissed as a non-issue.

I doubt DaveC has any part in the development of the Pandora.
He probably just got listed as a dev so he cannot bitch and moan all the time.

As always, i'd love to be proven wrong. But if he ever contributed anything to the project, it would probably be listed under 'quality assurance' :p

fusion_power said:
God Ginrai said:
DaveC said that that method of playing was fine.

-God Ginrai
And my Mockup (simple Paper/cardboard model but 1:1 measurements of Case and Lid) tells me that it will be not as good as it was with the GP2X in Portrait Mode and the screen straight above the D-Stick (PAD) and the volume buttons. You CAN Play this way with the Pandora, the Keyboard has enough Buttons as Action Button replacement holding the Unit verticaly. But it really is, well, some kind of strange gaming-feeling.

DaveC had a mockup, too. I think I'd be more inclined to believe the person who is well known for being picky about controls (especially when his vertical emulation is concerned) who had a mockup rather than someone else with a mockup.

Fishbong said:

As always, i'd love to be proven wrong. But if he ever contributed anything to the project, it would probably be listed under 'quality assurance' :p
Man, that's harsh. If I remember correctly, DaveC contributed a lot to the overall design of the handheld.

-God Ginrai

there are a couple games on the DS i think that are side ways I played the 007 one on my cousins the other day... I would say not ideal but neat for some things

fusion_power said:
andyB911 said:

The problem with playing vertical games in normal horizontal mode has two big issues. First is that the image will be tiny, even smaller than the image you will get on the Wiz screen when held vertical. The other is most vertical MAME games use 320 high resolution or something close. 320 does not go into 480 evenly. This means that you will need to scale by a fractional number. Some pixels will be different sizes and not uniform. This will cause blockiness, rippling in vertical scrolling shooters and general image uglyness. So in the end you will end up with a MAME game that for the most part would look vastly superior on the old GP2X rotated.

The best way is still to rotate the Pandora hold like a book and use keyboard keys for game buttons. This way you will get a big image and the ability to display at an even 2:1 scale factor (1 game px = 4 Pandora PX). In this case the image will be big and clean. It isn't perfect this way but it is not terrible. I think it is something you can get used to.

Fishbong said:

Yeah I didn't do too much. Just bitch and design the whole case that you see in those renders from E.D. Every piece, curve, internal structure, surface, and basically the way it looks there I designed and CADed out.

Other than that, yes I just bitch.

who for the love of god would use the original resolution on such a great screen. with 800x480, you can easily quadruple your regular qvga games and yet, get the same aspect ratio, with no quality loss and way better and bigger image
also, there are antialising algorithm invented years ago, to improve all these sort of problems you mention there.
hah...

clearly it's possible it's just not going to be fun for everyone.

Besides there'll be hundreds of roms you can play comfortably that you dont have to play those.

Can't anybody add the same fix as Zod used for the iPhone/Touch games? Rotate the Pandora on its side and have semi-transparent buttons on the bottom of the screen that you can press with your thumb.
That way you can keep a good hold of the unit and still get your game on :D

This would also allow left or right hand use (with screen rotation enabled) as the A,B,X and Y buttons could also be used for the controller.

God Ginrai said:
Fishbong said:

Man, that's harsh. If I remember correctly, DaveC contributed a lot to the overall design of the handheld.

-God Ginrai

A lot is good... he basically built the whole case you can see now :)
I just did the first preview renderings about a year ago, which were nice to look at, but not usable for a working case :)
The rest is all DaveC stuff... so, the current renderings you can see from me are all his design :)
I just put the material on it to make it look realistic.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
God Ginrai said:
Fishbong said:

-God Ginrai

A lot is good... he basically built the whole case you can see now :)
I just did the first preview renderings about a year ago, which were nice to look at, but not usable for a working case :)
The rest is all DaveC stuff... so, the current renderings you can see from me are all his design :)
I just put the material on it to make it look realistic.

And those renders are very good.

I remember the first ones you did were nice but seemed to have some weird polygon errors and weird things that looked like polygons twisted.

The current renders are so smooth and realistic. Are you using a new version of software to render? Is it still 3D studio? What ever it is it looks great.

Back