Davec Seal Of Approval

DaveC said:
And those renders are very good.

I remember the first ones you did were nice but seemed to have some weird polygon errors and weird things that looked like polygons twisted.

The current renders are so smooth and realistic. Are you using a new version of software to render? Is it still 3D studio? What ever it is it looks great.
It's the same version - I just made a higher res import of the files (more polygons).
Did run out of memory quite a few times during the last days. 4GB is not enough for such complex models with a high amount of polygons :D

Last edited:
Fishbong said:
I doubt DaveC has any part in the development of the Pandora.
He probably just got listed as a dev so he cannot bitch and moan all the time.

As always, i'd love to be proven wrong. But if he ever contributed anything to the project, it would probably be listed under 'quality assurance' :p
You seem to be here for long enough to know who DaveC really is. It's nice to know someone else has memory and common sense.

Funny to see how he now helps to build a system with a hi-res touchscreen and internal li-ion batteries, while he kept argueing with me (I mean flame wars, real fanboy stuff) about the gp2x being actually great for having a non-touch qvga screen (with weird refresh rate and scanlines) and AAs... hahahaha!

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
This system got the DaveC Seal of Approval *glisten* about a year ago. He even already addressed his position on its ability to play vertical emulation. Please use the search function, I believe it is somewhere in the infamous "Our New Machine" topic.

-God Ginrai

The question was about dynamics of the finished version... so however much I use the search function, that really won't help. But thanks anyway.

DaveC said:
...Every piece, curve, internal structure, surface, and basically the way it looks there I designed and CADed out.

I'm very pleased to hear this and hoped that was why you were so quiet. However, doesn't really answer the question of how it feels / works.

Whilst I'm obviously not expecting you to say that your design sucks, you had to design it within many constraints. How do the d-pad/analogue sticks 'feel'? Do you have a proto-type where the moving parts fit together and work yet? Does it meet / beat expectations?

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
Fishbong said:
I doubt DaveC has any part in the development of the Pandora.
He probably just got listed as a dev so he cannot bitch and moan all the time.

As always, i'd love to be proven wrong. But if he ever contributed anything to the project, it would probably be listed under 'quality assurance' :p
You seem to be here for long enough to know who DaveC really is. It's nice to know someone else has memory and common sense.

I've been here long enough to know DaveC, too. I can tell you, I don't ever want to see his name appear in a topic about SNES emulation again. But if you had been here long enough, you should have learned by now that there are some things that DaveC is damn right about.

If you just get mad at what annoys you about him, you won't be able to see what else he can do.

Note: DaveC, I mean you no offense in this post, however I do see how it might seem otherwise.

-God Ginrai

Ah well, it seems i was misunderstood. I didn't say Dave was bitching all the time, i just attributed the recent lack of DaveC-rants to the fact that he is now a Pandora dev and thus can't complain about it.

Though the Pandora has some features that would never have met his approval when the GP2X was still new, like the custom battery, widescreen or analogue controls. I wonder what happened in the meantime?

Fishbong said:
Ah well, it seems i was misunderstood.
Dude, you weren't misunderstood; you clearly said that if DaveC, a guy who put in a significant amount of effort into designing and engineering the pandora, had "ever contributed anything to the project, it would probably be listed under 'quality assurance'", and "I doubt DaveC has any part in the development of the Pandora."

Fishbong said:
I didn't say Dave was bitching all the time
No, you said "bitch and moan all the time"

Surely it was you that misunderstood or meant other than you said? Or is that what you meant by you being misunderstood? I hope you didn't mean it or were joking anyway.... ;) .... otherwise you should really put more thought into how you say things!

Anyways, I'm interested to know if DaveC or anyone else can tell us (rather than speculate on) how comfortable the Pandora is to use for any length of time?

Fishbong said:
Though the Pandora has some features that would never have met his approval when the GP2X was still new, like the custom battery, widescreen or analogue controls. I wonder what happened in the meantime?
I can possibly answer this because I was the same. None of those things would have been good for the GP2X IMO. It was primarily a cheap homebrew & emulation gadget -- the screen size was just right for that, and analogues would have been mostly wasted with what the hardware could achieve (not to mention wouldn't have fit nicely in the form factor). The AAs suited its light, portable feel and gave much better battery life than other devices available at the time. I preferred them to the PSP's 2-3 hour battery back then!

However, the Pandora is a different beastie and can now take advantage of those elements you mentioned.

Fishbong said:
Ah well, it seems i was misunderstood. I didn't say Dave was bitching all the time, i just attributed the recent lack of DaveC-rants to the fact that he is now a Pandora dev and thus can't complain about it.
Yea, misunderstood, sure....

Fishbong said:
DaveC's already done his complaining about the analog controls, check the "Our New Machine" thread. I've never seen DaveC badmouth widescreen before. I have seen him complain about stretching an image to fit a screen of a different aspect ratio. But that's not the same thing.

Maybe what happened in the mean time is that your memory went to soup.

-God Ginrai

Fishbong said:
I am not the one who decides on features. I may not have done it this exact way if i was doing my own.

The custom battery I still don't like. When the batteries stop being made the unit will become obsolete. That I don't like . We didn't have much choice here though due to size and shape.

I may not have chosen a widescreen on my own but that is what the team went with. I don't bitch much about it because the resolution lends itself to being evenly quadrupled to get regular 320 x 240 to fit at 640 x 480 without ugly fractional stretching. If it was some crap resolution like 480 x 272 like the PSP I would still be bitching about that.

As far as analog controls yes I loathe them for emulators. They are fine for other applications though. But since the Pandora has a regular digital d-pad too the addition of analogs is just a bonus. If it was some junk like a Zodiac that ONLY had analog then I would bitch.

andyB911 said:
Whilst I'm obviously not expecting you to say that your design sucks, you had to design it within many constraints. How do the d-pad/analogue sticks 'feel'? Do you have a proto-type where the moving parts fit together and work yet? Does it meet / beat expectations?
Well actually believe it or not I don't have a prototype. Since I don't code software they don't want to waste a working unit on me :p

But I will be doing tweaking of the pad when the final prototypes are done being messed with by the software guys. We won't put a dodgy d-pad on it.

DaveC said:
I am not the one who decides on features. I may not have done it this exact way if i was doing my own.

The custom battery I still don't like. When the batteries stop being made the unit will become obsolete. That I don't like . We didn't have much choice here though due to size and shape.

I may not have chosen a widescreen on my own but that is what the team went with. I don't bitch much about it because the resolution lends itself to being evenly quadrupled to get regular 320 x 240 to fit at 640 x 480 without ugly fractional stretching. If it was some crap resolution like 480 x 272 like the PSP I would still be bitching about that.

As far as analog controls yes I loathe them for emulators. They are fine for other applications though. But since the Pandora has a regular digital d-pad too the addition of analogs is just a bonus. If it was some junk like a Zodiac that ONLY had analog then I would bitch.
Well actually believe it or not I don't have a prototype. Since I don't code software they don't want to waste a working unit on me :p

But I will be doing tweaking of the pad when the final prototypes are done being messed with by the software guys. We won't put a dodgy d-pad on it.

Well this seems to be a thread about DaveC.
Since this post I like YOU (DaveC). Like! Not love! ;)

I can't remeber that DaveC talked BS, he mostly was right. What annoyed me was that he ALWYS stated the same things (fractional scaling anyone?)

This is good very good. Bu tit is bad aswel. IF it is not "DaveC enuff" then we have to wait more weeks till we get a better D-Pad. Well, so be it. :)

DaveC said:
The custom battery I still don't like. When the batteries stop being made the unit will become obsolete. That I don't like .
IIRC it has been discovered that the unit CAN in fact be powered with no battery installed. While I am not fond of the custom battery for the same reason, it seems to me that if you run out of these batteries (I admit that I ordered a spare one myself) one could hook up a custom job to the power-in socket if one wasn't brave enough to attach a new custom battery poack directly to the battery connector inside the unit. It wouldn't be AS portable, but perhaps not completely obsolete.

DaveC said:
Fishbong said:

andyB911 said:

Thanks for the candid reply. Look forward to hearing more news on the pad & controls in general as we get closer to / start manufacturing.

I'm a little embarrassed to say that I had no idea of the extent of Dave's involvement. I knew he was looking after control design (which itself is no trivial task), but didn't know he'd done all of the case design including CAD work.

Go Dave, go Dave, etc.

Back