Davec For Guru

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is simply the best thread in weeks!!!!

A little bit of everyone who is anyone (short of a brief quip from Craig and a pleasant coment from ED or Squidge)!

How funny that everyone is bickering like old duffers!

It's a little handheld games system and everyone is so serious sometimes!

Vimacs- old boys network- LOL, he was really harsh on old Dave though. I haven't heard a bad word about his cap and regardless of your opinion on his work on the joystick, he did put in the time.

I think all this badge stuff is all a bit elitist really, but then I am mod, guru, general secretary, party chairman and supreme leader of the eternal empire on www.wrongeyedjesus.com/board.

(There is 1 user online, the most members online was 1 just now in my imagination.)

you guys...... :p

lhnz posted on Feb 24 2006 at 09:54 AM said:
Haha. Ah well another day.
Edit: Screw this I want my old post count back.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Guru title used to get handed out like muffins at a cake festival, which is why a lot of 'less technical' people have it. Plus there is a large distinction between 'GP2X guru' and 'GP32 guru' that we'll probably be sorting out in the future.

But in the meantime, people, it's just a little image that's near your name. Not the end of the world. I'm glad DaveC treated it that way.

I don't like DaveC, but he deserves Guru status, no doubt about it. Just look what weirdos got Guru but did less. Congrats DaveC keep up the good work.

Guru status would only be useful as a guide to newcomers ( if it was not already diluted). Once you have been around a while you know who the real guru's are wether they are officially recognised or not.

Far too late to this thread but...

If the Guru badge is supposed to stand for knowledge and an informed opinion, I think DaveC well deserves one, as do Radek and Theoddbot.

On the other hand, it would be cool to let the community rate its members.

Something like a button at the bottom of each post that you can click if it was particularly helpful. Kind of like slashdot moderation. Then people with 10 helpful posts can get a star, 100 posts gets you 2 stars and so on.

People like squidge and theoddbot would soon float up to the top of the "helpful and well informed"charts.

i think it's wrong to throw away guru titles like a circus-clown throws pies.
not everyone who contributes something to the community is a "guru".
as i said before, even EvilDragon and Hando are not gurus. and this just because they are no hardcore-super-coders. they do a lot to the community and because of that, they are team members.
but just having nice ideas and doing good for the community doesn't make anyone a guru. er..ok, sometimes.
but "guru" should be reserved for members, who really have superior knowledge of programming skills.
help is always appreciated and very wellcome, but even helping 24/7 is something differen't than writing a firmware or building a devkit. it's on a different level. maybe not a different level of time and heartblood, but surely skills.

0-bake posted on Feb 24 2006 at 03:13 PM said:
i think it's wrong to throw away guru titles like a circus-clown throws pies.
not everyone who contributes something to the community is a "guru".
as i said before, even EvilDragon and Hando are not gurus. and this just because they are no hardcore-super-coders. they do a lot to the community and because of that, they are team members.
but just having nice ideas and doing good for the community doesn't make anyone a guru. er..ok, sometimes.
but "guru" should be reserved for members, who really have superior knowledge of programming skills.
help is always appreciated and very wellcome, but even helping 24/7 is something differen't than writing a firmware or building a devkit. it's on a different level. maybe not a different level of time and heartblood, but surely skills.

therefore, give a Guru title to Critical for his work on the Amiga emu

Oh boy, this is one kind of discussion. I`m glad DaveC already got his status, as I think he knows a lot more about the hardware stuff than me (on both GPs).

I know nothing about c coding / sdl, and yet I got Guru status with the Minigame Project coded in a language that got ported to the GPs... atleast I put alot of work in my projects (and I am still putting).

So with all the things DaveC knows, did, he deserved the status.

And there are a lot more people that deserve it.

By the way, I think it`s about time that someone makes a guru badge for the gp2x, or that Guru status is deleted and something like "Coder" status, "Helper" status, "Normal" status and/or "Inventor" status (like DaveC with his cap) is made.

This is like the other post, requesting more gold/silver levels and such; in order to do thigns right -- ie: be silly -- I really like the idea of two levels:

1) Guru -- pretty much as it is now
2) DaveC -- he is unique, to be feared and respected in one swoop

Or just leave it with guru; since DaveC is unique, he doesn't need a badge.. his mere name is badge enough.

*shrug*

I've got a headache, don't listen to me ;)

jeff

Edit: Thats as clear as mud. OKay, as mentioned before.. he's certainly guru for the boards, yes.

Edit: Ah, he's already been hooked up. Nice one :)

Vimacs posted on Feb 23 2006 at 11:53 PM said:
He adds some tihngs, and repeats them 9888988998945 times over months until it drives evryone crazy.

Like you used to always post "use the search funktion" every other post, I personally found that annoying -- and not because the spelling mistake.

Glad DaveC is a Guru, I find it funny when he winds people up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back