Custom Painting A Gp2x?

letsridebmx104

Still Fresh
Wondering If anyone ever painted one? If so easy/ hard? Im thinking about a custom starwars paint job :D

Easy enough, remove casing, stick electrical tape over the screen area, lightly sand the plastic so paint sticks, spray paint and lightly sand between layers, seal with clear durable varnish; re-assemble case.

Question is if it is worth it and if the result is worth it.

bacteria said:
Easy enough, remove casing, stick electrical tape over the screen area, lightly sand the plastic so paint sticks, spray paint and lightly sand between layers, seal with clear durable varnish; re-assemble case.

Question is if it is worth it and if the result is worth it.
I'm just wondering about the buttons... could I "pop" them out and give um' a coat as well to match? or is there no hope for different color buttons?

Last edited by a moderator:
ZeroDayATK said:
I'm just wondering about the buttons... could I "pop" them out and give um' a coat as well to match? or is there no hope for different color buttons?
Someone already tried and painted (not sure) the buttons to gold. :lol:

Here is the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
painting the buttons is fine, but after a while will rub off, even if coated. I think someone mentioned on Benheck about using some type of paint you get from car shops; look in Benheck.com > forum > case construction.

Vinyl spray seems to work better than acrylic spray on ABS. Though it will eventually rub off.

Ive built many prototypes/product models over the years and with heavy handling and hand acid just about everything will rub/chip/buff off eventually.

Here's my process:

-lightly sand/key the -entire- surface.
-find a paint that vulcanizes with the surface as an undercoat - ie Plasti-coat primer. (preferably in a color close to your top-coat.)
-apply several thin topcoats allowing each coat to touch dry between coats.

-let it dry!

-apply protective clear over coat.
-allow loads of time to cure before handling.
-buff/polish with wax/car polish.

-done!

-wait for it to come back from display all chipped and scratched up...

Back