Painting Gp32s - How Much Should I Charge?

Turtlebmh

Still Fresh
I think I may start up a site or something offering to paint GP32s. The thing is, I don't want to charge a lot for painting them, but don't want it to end up costing me anything since I would need to buy paint and pay for return shipping. I was thinking about having two options available:

1. $30 for painting a GP32 with the person sending just the GP32 shell, so I don't have to worry about shipping insurance and they can just reassemble the GP32 when the shell is returned.

2. $45 if the person sent the whole GP32, which I could send it back fully insured (I think a plain GP32 would be a bit cheaper around $35 or $40, since BLU & FLU systems cost more and are a bit more difficult to unassemble).

Does this sound reasonable (buying paint and shipping probably would cost about $15+)? I may charge a little extra for painting buttons, etc since they take longer to tape up, etc.

Also, I feel comfortable with painting consoles and can do an 99% perfect, glossy paint job. I've painted a Gamecube, two GP32s, a Gameboy, and two laptops so far, so I have plenty of experience etc.

Just post your questions and or comments.

Sounds a bit pricey, $45 for the service and then you factor in the shipping. Would be able to choose whatever color we want from a wide palette of colors (Would be charged extra for this?)?

I just put up the site. I can blend colors into each other, so you could have a wide range of options. I could also do stripes, etc.
I have iBooks, a Gameboy, GP32s, etc on the page.

Paint Gallery

Hmmmm, looks nice my only concern is how easy is it to knock or chip the paint, and although i doubt it does, does the paint have any chance of rubbing off with sweaty hands? Looks nice though if I got mine done i'd have it in kill bill flavour colours without the black stripe or blood splats. ;)

Krylon is chip resistant. I think they are pretty scratch resistant as well. The only way I think it would chip would be if you dropped it.

Really does seem a bit pricey tbh, I dont think I could ever pay that much (I understand why its high, I'm just giving you my opinion, no offense). Your work is quite beautiful though, esp om the kill bill themes

Turtlebmh posted on Aug 17 2004 at 01:33 PM said:
I just put up the site. I can blend colors into each other, so you could have a wide range of options. I could also do stripes, etc.
I have iBooks, a Gameboy, GP32s, etc on the page.

Paint Gallery
That Gameboy looks real nice...that's some real nice painting:
gameboyc.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Azure posted on Aug 17 2004 at 07:50 PM said:
Sounds a bit pricey, $45 for the service and then you factor in the shipping. Would be able to choose whatever color we want from a wide palette of colors (Would be charged extra for this?)?
well you would save $15 if you simply took the case off yourself.

no offense, but this:

pinkibookc.JPG

looks a little crappy, did you use primer?

apart for mthat, excellent work, but Im in the UK so i dont fancy sending it out, i think with the pink one u were doing a light colour on a dark base

EDIT: I only meant the bottom picture the top of the ibook looks awesome

Brilliant, pity I don't have that money to spend on that kill bill one........*Xboxit drules all over his legs*
kbgp32.JPG

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wacko: :unsure:

How much would it cost to get it painted like that gameboy pic of yours that I posted? It looks so delicious!

I'd most deffinately consider it. Apart from it'd be cool to design it myself and do it. Would you accept complex designs and would this boost the price?

I e-mailed GBAx.com about buying extra cases, that way I could paint the case and when I received the gp32 in the mail, just trade out cases for an easier turn-around time or I could sell already painted cases and you could send me the old case and I'd pay a certain pre-set amount for it. Flu systems may present a problem though because of the hole in the back that the light switch uses. I'm also not sure if the screen on the BLU systems separates from the case very well (I never removed it when painted b/c I thought dust may seep in).

On painting, I tested Krylon and it's the most durable paint and almost scratch proof (you'd have to drop the system or use a sharp object to scratch it), so I could paint in bold colors.

On complex designs, I could do two colors with a stripe or something for the same price. If it's over two colors, add say $4 for each extra color since Krylon Fusion is about $4-5 per can.

Here's the color listings for Krylon Fusion (I can blend any of these colors for a tye-dye or fade effect):

Krylon® Fusion

Color & Product Offering
Almond - 2437
Black - 2421
Blonde Shimmer - 2339
Blue Hyacinth - 2333
Burgundy - 2325
Burgundy - 2425
Buttercream - 2334
Dover White - 2322
Dover White - 2422
Espresso - 2340
Espresso - 2436
Fairytale Pink - 2331
Gloss Black - 2321
Gloss White - 2320
Honeydew - 2335
Hunter Green - 2324
Hunter Green - 2424
Khaki - 2438
Navy - 2326
Navy - 2426
Nickel Shimmer - 2338
Patriotic Blue - 2329
Pewter Gray - 2439
Pumpkin (Safety) Orange - 2337
Red Pepper - 2328
River Rock - 2323
River Rock - 2423
Spring Grass - 2327
Sun Dried Tomato - 2332
Sunbeam - 2330
Twilight - 2440
White - 2420

Also, I'm going to Canada for a month, so I can either figure out how to send things Airmail which may cost a few dollars more (not sure as to the exchange rate) but I think it should work out ok.

mattmagoo posted on Aug 18 2004 at 12:13 PM said:
looks a little crappy, did you use primer?

EDIT: I only meant the bottom picture the top of the ibook looks awesome
My sister's iBook had some heavy scratches on the bottom, so I painted it from the inside of the plastic so the scratches don't look so great. I tried to buff them out a bit but didn't think it helped too much.

Any response from GBAx.com? Would you offer to simply sell a custom-painted case, without receiving one in return? I don't know how folks would feel about having a naked gp32_console laying around, waiting for it's new 'skin'.

Great idea, BTW :)

When asking for a blend, like the one done for the GB, how would we specify what we want? We tell you the colors, then what? Do you have different blending designs? Would we choose one of those? How would a customer describe the paint job that was done for the GB? Thanks.

Describe the blend of colors as best as possible and I will paint it as close to the description as possible. I'll make sure I confirm the design before starting.

On the shells, I'd charge like $50 for a painted one and when you receive it and swap it out with your old one, you send the unpainted one and get $20 back.

Back