Custom (cheap) Screen Protector

pipa

Still Fresh
Website
candyaddict.com
I tried using a Palm PDA screen protector on my GP2X but it wasn't transparent enough - you could tell it was there and it blurred the screen a bit. I didn't want to use my GP2X without something protecting the screen but I couldn't find anything.

Then, it came to me - my PSONE LCD came with a protective piece of plastic over the screen:
http://thebrokenjoystick.com/pictures/dc-ps1-lcd/nfl
and I never took it off. (notice the yellow tape they used to hold it in place)

So, when my new 1GB SD Card came in the mail in one of those hard-to-open plastic packages, I took my scissors and made two screen protectors out of the plastic packaging. I used 3 small pieces of clear tape to hold it in place and now I have a cheap screen protector that is totally clear so it doesn't affect visibility and it protects my screen.

What is everyone else using to protect their screen from scratches? Anything?

thelamer posted on Apr 14 2006 at 12:33 PM said:
Yeah a really nice screen protector comes with every unit doesn't it ?

Are we all talking about the same thing? On my GP2X, there was a piece of plastic that I had to install that covers the screen. This had a piece of static-cling plastic stuff on it to protect it. I had to remove that because it made the screen look so bad. That is what I am talking about replacing. I guess technically it's a screen protector protector.

Last edited by a moderator:
thelamer posted on Apr 14 2006 at 03:06 PM said:
Yeah but the plastic screen protector that comes with it is pretty much scratch proof . Mine hs been through a lot and has yet to have a scuff on it .

Really? I just assumed it wouldn't be scratch-resistant. Can anyone else comment on the screen protector's resistance to scratches? Maybe I should forget the whole screen protector protector idea. Anyone?

thelamer posted on Apr 14 2006 at 02:53 PM said:
Test it yourself .

Take some car keys and go to town on it . Post your results :)

Idk, when I took off the screen protector (big plastic piece) to remove the dust I accidently dropped it on the floor like a 2.5ft drop and to soft carpet, and then when I picked it back up there was a hairline scratch on it.
Sure you can't really see it unless you look for it and shine a light on it but I was just amazed by that.

Maybe it was not from that, but that was when I noticed it.

I've got 3 or 4 thinner-than-hair scratches on my screen protector... no big deal, especially for it being perpetually in my pocket (with change, sand, etc.)

For the love of god please stop calling both the hard plastic layer and the thin often pre-scratched removable plastic layer that comes over it BOTH a 'screen protector'! It's leading to much undue confusion. The plastic layer you must stick over the real LCD Panel below when you recieve your unit is a Lens. The plastic over that is just a protective layer to keep it safe during shipping and is meant to be removed. It's not meant as a permanent protector in any way.

For the record, my screen LENS has remained mostly scratch free just sitting in my pocket everyday... although it did get some rather ugly scrapes from pressure you can only see when the machine is off and it is closely examined. The ease of transportation without a case is well worth replacing the lens with a new 4 or 5 dollar replacement every 6 months or so for me.

My screen protector is damn-near pristene ... I wrap my '2X in a large cloth made for cleaning eyeglasses before storing it in my case.

After the trouble I dealt with with gp32z.com (which all worked out fine, BTW), let us use their new naming scheme. The hard plastic screen protector is known by them as a screen shield. The screen protector protector is called the protector film I believe.

BTW, anyone know any way to reduce the glare on the screen? Since you cannot lower the backlight as of now, when I walk outside with the GP2X, I see absolutely nothing because of the glare. Any ideas?

Epicenter posted on Apr 14 2006 at 06:42 PM said:
For the record, my screen LENS has remained mostly scratch free just sitting in my pocket everyday... although it did get some rather ugly scrapes from pressure you can only see when the machine is off and it is closely examined. The ease of transportation without a case is well worth replacing the lens with a new 4 or 5 dollar replacement every 6 months or so for me.
WTF is a screen lens? Is the gp2x a camera now? :blink: Screen -> Screen Protector -> Crappy flimsy plastic sheet (which doesn't protect anything).

TelcoLou posted on Apr 14 2006 at 03:56 PM said:
Glass replacement cover. I may attempt this one day ...

I seriously hate glass covers..as A.) while transparent, they make the scratches be more prominent (at least according to me, the Sandisk glass thingy on my mp3 player looks like crap with all the scratches..), B.) more glare... and C.) not easily replaceable, sticker plastic is better in my opinion..

TelcoLou posted on Apr 14 2006 at 06:49 PM said:
I wrap my '2X in a large cloth made for cleaning eyeglasses before storing it in my case.

I pretty much treat all my handhelds the same, TLC = no scratches, even on plastic ... hell, even my original GBA screen protector is scratch-free. The glass mod would be just for extra-safety ... and geek points ;)

Depends on what your going to scratch it with, glass is pretty hard to scratch as it's a 5.5 on the Moh scale, but what happens when you scratch it? That's when it sucks hard...because with plastic, scratch and replace.

*Loubear uses super-azn geek powers...* OMG! You put the glass on and THEN the plastic covering!

Holy..my post count is scary..it's approaching that of those who joined a year before..omg...i'm a spammer *hides head in shame*

Back