Craigs sd card image as beginners startup download.

Wrath Of Khan

Soul soother...
I know i mentioned a startup user download before.But i feel strongly that this is important for the pandora as im quite passionate about the pandora.Craigixs sd card image for reviews(see other thread)could be used as a beginners startup download.It could be ammended over time

until its perfect.I think this would be very good for the pandora.(I started a new thread cos i wanted to highlight this idea)Your thoughts would be welcome. :)Some people suggested this in the other thread also,so i think people are interested in this idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe OPT should also offer a pre-loaded card to be shipped with Pandoras? As an optional extra, of course.

yeah it could be nice addition to my future order when the tv-out cable will be available..

hopefully the price will not be much more than an empty SD ;)

Mac

16 GB images would be awesome, but not exactly practical.

You could include Ginge and loads of GP2X apps. Include Stuckie's system and a complete Debian system. Go nuts.

But that would be some major torrent eh?

16 GB images would be awesome, but not exactly practical.

You could include Ginge and loads of GP2X apps. Include Stuckie's system and a complete Debian system. Go nuts.

But that would be some major torrent eh?

prolly wrong thread, but i want it :p

No such thing as a wrong thread ;)

I keep on missing Craig's posts, you need to put up an avatar :D

We started something like that in the dingux-scene, called them local-packs. They are a mess. Incredibly bloated, nearly impossible to maintain. Did anyone of you even think about how hard it will be to comply with all those licenses?

In the end, it's just way easier to have a basic system and choose what to test out next, especially if you have something like the pnd-system. Just make sure one can finally browse the appstore with the base firmware.

For me, at least, that is all I want.

Not everything available on there, but a select few apps to see how things need to be setup, basic file structure, where the roms need to go. Then the world is my oyster.

Once I have seen how the basics are setup and how it works, it is then down to me to experiment with other apps that I might find interesting.

I think it could save quite a few 'noob' threads being started by people wanting help.

I guess if it is an example to ship, then it is useful. You'd probably still need the codec pack separately though. I agree that keeping anything up-to-date would be a trial (and a standard included SD is a waste of cash, unless it is really cheap)

http://pandorawiki.org/Quickstart is a better option, I think. With maybe a 'top 10' app list (Someone start one, then we can think about if we need to argue about the best)

This would be a good starting point, I wanted something like this for the GP2X because installing some things was pretty difficult and the GP2X didn't seem to have many standards when it came to installing things. The PND system will alleviate some of that but a starting image would be great.

Even if it would just be a download of the top 10 apps / emulators / (Freeware) Games instead of a physical card I'd think it would be a good idea to make it easier for new users (and to start right away).

A real card would be neat but if it's small it'll propably be replaced right away (and then I'd feel sorry for the poor card - I'm strange like that...) and if it's some GB big then it would be too expensive I guess.

How about (later sometime) OPT would bundle the Pandora with some approved, high quality SD cards as an option, instead of everyone buying their own all over the place?

i'm with mclovin on the issue, things liek this have caused no end of issues for dingux, but done well and it's fine i reckon, and only one compilation image/etc is put together, as opposed to having 5 different ones all flying around all over the place

though seeing as how simple the pnd system is, meh :D

http://pandorawiki.org/Top_10_apps

Please add to this - although it looks to be quite a challenge to pick the right apps to include without being too broad. I am not in a position to be able to judge who much help people need with this. Maybe later we can think about expanding the selection - using the appstore ratings maybe, but I think it is handy to have a 'install these first, then think about what you want'

Might also be good to just get the repo-for-PND's working, so that new users can simply rock the App store ..

Back