Craigix Pandora Article In Click Magazine.

craigix said:
Well if Click Magazine does not close down the forum for posting the article first! Gads! Run for the hills! The lawyers are coming!
Quick, contact them and make an interview, that could distract them from suing. Or I could take the links down if you piss your pants. Your sarcasm is not needed, I do my job, you do yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Click really would care about us uploading the scans.
I mean, what information was in that article that we didn't already know? (Aside from the existence of the PSP and DS emulators, of course.)

MWeston said:
Dude, knock it off with the fake PR lessons. This guy sent me a message on my You tube channel; no email just a greeting and an introduction. He was looking for an interview so I emailed Craig and ED. Craig said he would do it so I replied back on my You tube channel to this guy with an email address. That's it. Don't tell me I don't know how to do something like I'm a two year old.

Fair enough. The information in Craig's post said it was an email, so I was only going from that.

Either way, if Craig knows that an established magazine is after an interview with him then he should be making efforts to make chase it up, not just be waiting to see if he contacts him.

Maybe I'm just a cynical ex-hack, but looks to me like some third rate journalist just cobbled that article together in 10 minutes hoping to fast track his way to a free Pandora.

Since I've got both writing experience and an ongoing knowledge and interest in the project perhaps I could do a bit of freelance work here. How about you send me my Pandora right away, give me 5 mins on the phone to "glean some vital info" and I'll knock out a proper article with some facts in it. The magazine can publish it for free, I'll get my pandora a bit sooner and you'd not have to part with any extra hardware. All in all it seems like it's an all round winner - PM me if you like the idea. I think I'd do the project more justice than an outsider, and you'd be doing me a big favour.

It's very snippy on the gp32x forums lately, I think everyone needs to have an icecream

TitanUranus said:
Maybe I'm just a cynical ex-hack, but looks to me like some third rate journalist just cobbled that article together in 10 minutes hoping to fast track his way to a free Pandora.

Since I've got both writing experience and an ongoing knowledge and interest in the project perhaps I could do a bit of freelance work here. How about you send me my Pandora right away, give me 5 mins on the phone to "glean some vital info" and I'll knock out a proper article with some facts in it. The magazine can publish it for free, I'll get my pandora a bit sooner and you'd not have to part with any extra hardware. All in all it seems like it's an all round winner - PM me if you like the idea. I think I'd do the project more justice than an outsider, and you'd be doing me a big favour.

Sounds like a plan!

TitanUranus said:
I'm pretty sure most review devices are expected to be returned. The journalist would only have a free Pandora for a few days while the article is written and then returned. I would expect the same thing if one were sent to you. Otherwise it looks like you were bribed for your review and can't be trusted.

edit off topic:
mali said:
^ No, thanks. I'd like something with meat. Meat-icecream... yeah, why not :D
Bacon iced cream exists. I had some. It was pretty tasty.

I tried to fast track my way to an early Pandora/review sample by actually buying one. Didn't work.

Also, isn't it far, far too early for reviews to really count for anything? The people who pre-ordered between 1 and 2 years ago haven't got their Pandoras yet, unless we can entice some lovely programmers, the extra publicity will just bring a whole new influx of whiners.

Finally, how did that barely literate, factually deprived, uninteresting and unenlightening spiel actually get published?

I can't criticise that article too much. The PSP/DS suggestion is pretty bad, but that's nothing they can't correct in a second interview piece. Whoever wrote it has obviously followed the project for a while, and has done their best to tell the whole story to an outside crowd. Lots of enthusiasm is a good thing.

craigix said:
TitanUranus said:
Sounds like a plan!
Really?

Unless TitanUranus is actually a customer who bought the Pandora and is only asking to get his Panda sent faster to enable him to write the article.

relliker said:
Unless TitanUranus is actually a customer who bought the Pandora and is only asking to get his Panda sent faster to enable him to write the article.

Of course I already paid (first batch) and even without a Pandora I could write a better informed and hopefully more interesting article than the one in 'Click', but then so could most of the people on these forums. I was being a bit facetious, but what I said is true. I'd be deligted to be able to offer a first hand review, and Pandora could get a bit of free publicity.

WizardStan is correct in that the reviewers do not keep their Pandoras (at least not most of them). I know a guy who does reviews for a pretty popular magazine (forget the name at the moment) but I had been talking to him about the Pandora for quite some time now. When I went to talk to him recently, he told me he had one and it was great, cool as hell, etc... I was a bit shocked, because I know he didn't put in to buy one, so I wondered how he got it. He told me that he was reviewing it for the magazine and would have to give it back once he finished, but he admitted that he didn't wanna give it back. :p I didn't get to really sit and talk with him about it because he was at work, but he DEFINITELY wanted to sit and tell me about his experience with it. He is my real-life proof that reviewers do have to return the unit they use. Maybe not all. And I can't say for sure if it's returned to OP or if the magazine who requested it to be reviewed for their article (if that actually happens)... but I DO know that he CAN'T keep the one he's reviewing.

MWeston said:
Pleng said:
Quick lesson in PR.

Problem: You have a lead. A magazine wants to interview you. You know they want to interview you because they have mailed somebody in your team. He has advised them to email you, but they haven't. So presumably Michael has the email address of the person who wants to interview you.

Solution: Get the email address from Michael and contact him directly.

What Michael should have really done in this situation is reply, cc'ing you in, saying that he has forwarded the email to you and you will get back to him soon.

This is really, really simple stuff. You want the publicity more than they want the article, I presume.
Dude, knock it off with the fake PR lessons. This guy sent me a message on my You tube channel; no email just a greeting and an introduction. He was looking for an interview so I emailed Craig and ED. Craig said he would do it so I replied back on my You tube channel to this guy with an email address. That's it. Don't tell me I don't know how to do something like I'm a two year old.

Easy tiger, you might want to read the whole thread first. Craig said that ED was emailed, Pleng was only going by the Info he had. Also, I thought Chip was PR guy?

EDIT: Quoted wrong post.

Reading this thread, I can only make the following summary as contribution:

1. Tech guys should not be doing PR.
2. Craig should be chasing down *all* PR leads as much as possible - its true, better not to wait for this PR guy to contact, but instead be pro-active. I'm sure Click magazine is only a phone call away.
3. We all have an opinion about how to do things better.
4. No poofters!!!

Back