Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
norm said:
Nova said:
geepeewn8.png

DaveC said:
i'm liking these two designs mostly nova's (top)

not liking this much though:

gp2x2tr8.png

I like the way the first two look best, but I think the bottom one would be better functionally...

Last edited by a moderator:
woooooooow, just found about about this right now...... very interesting stuff guys :D

@ saehn- thanks for maintaining this thread!

@ OMars- i don't know about you, but I wanna play games on this thing, and I do that with a joystick and buttons; not a keyboard. I really like the mocks created by Nova and DaveC; something like that would be sweet :wub:

hope you guys can pull it off; if it's reasonable priced and looks decent, I would definitely consider buying one

I'm loving the D-Pad design in the second mock-up in jmetal88's post. It can hit diagonals, and it doesn't look like it'd go against any D-Pad patent considering it's a circle and not a plus-shape. ;)

triksR4rabits said:
woooooooow, just found about about this right now...... very interesting stuff guys :D

@ saehn- thanks for maintaining this thread!

@ OMars- i don't know about you, but I wanna play games on this thing, and I do that with a joystick and buttons; not a keyboard. I really like the mocks created by Nova and DaveC; something like that would be sweet :wub:

hope you guys can pull it off; if it's reasonable priced and looks decent, I would definitely consider buying one
The screen slide up and down, you know. ;)

How about something like this:

4mmxhms.gif

Either the keyboard can be detachable, or it slides to the middle and folds over to the back and locks securely. I say it should slide to the middle so the back wouldn't be uneven to grip. The bottom of the buttons of the keyboard could be made of some kind of soft material that registers on the touchscreen. I'm pretty sure this would lessen the price, too. I'm too lazy to develop it further, so someone else please rework my idea.

Ok here is one design idea that was hit on here. It uses a 4:3 640*480 display because that is what it was going to be. Just try to imagine it with WS and a longer keyboard. it was basically a modded GP2X. Kind of Sony UMPC inspired.

I still like this as it is durable, inexpensive, and ergonomic for gaming. A good concept. A few tweaks like making the KB and keys a bit larger, cleaning up the styling, and changing proportions for WS, and it wouldn't be bad. The D-pad seems a little low too but could be fixed.

gp4Q1.jpg

DaveC said:
Ok here is one design idea that was hit on here. It uses a 4:3 640*480 display because that is what it was going to be. Just try to imagine it with WS and a longer keyboard. it was basically a modded GP2X. Kind of Sony UMPC inspired.

I still like this as it is durable, inexpensive, and ergonomic for gaming. A good concept. A few tweaks like making the KB and keys a bit larger, cleaning up the styling, and changing proportions for WS, and it wouldn't be bad. The D-pad seems a little low too but could be fixed.

gp4Q1.jpg
that is a tasty set of pics. I really dont see the logic of having a dual analog + dpad 2 sets of shoulder buttons etc in my pocket. add some gp32 style boobs on it and im happy enough.

im supprised nobody that wanted a mic has a picture of a sidetalking gp2x.. (someone please be obnoxious)

JaqMs said:
How about something like this:

Either the keyboard can be detachable, or it slides to the middle and folds over to the back and locks securely. I say it should slide to the middle so the back wouldn't be uneven to grip. The bottom of the buttons of the keyboard could be made of some kind of soft material that registers on the touchscreen. I'm pretty sure this would lessen the price, too. I'm too lazy to develop it further, so someone else please rework my idea.

You just need to make sure the headphone jack is on the top like the Gp2X.

DaveC said:

Wow, that looks very impressive. One complaint I have heard from designs similar to that is that is it hard to type with two thumbs becuase the keyboard is lower than the surface.

But really impressive. That could be the GP3X and I would be satisfied.

UMPc560.gif

Another concept. This one is more DS-esque. Lends itself well to being made from brushed anodized aluminum. This one has a clamshell with a keyboard that can be flipped and locked to the rear while not in use. The keyboard can also be un-docked completely if you just want to use it as a games console and can make do with an on-screen touch keyboard. Again was made for a 4:3 display but could be modded for WS. Best of both worlds. Nice big keyboard, great gaming controls with vertical arcade in full-screen capability. If you want a KB it is there. Don't need it? take it off and bin it.

Note the two recessed buttons over the D-pad for *standard* menu enter/exit. Also the volume wheel on the left, no more volume buttons. The buttons under pad are for vertical game use and also for standard increase/decrease function. They could be used to increase/decrease clock speed, brightness, etc.

gp4q2.jpg

Wow, excellent renderings DaveC!

I can imagine that it might be more convenient, for manufacuring reasons, if all the buttons could press on the same circuit board, which pretty much means that the front face would be flat and the screen sliding section would be place above the base. Then the screen would be raised off of the base, which would stick up above the main box. If you think that is a construction option worth considering, could you make a render of it? It should just involve moving some objects and changing a couple shapes by a little bit.

Dzz said:
Wow, excellent renderings DaveC!

I can imagine that it might be more convenient, for manufacuring reasons, if all the buttons could press on the same circuit board, which pretty much means that the front face would be flat and the screen sliding section would be place above the base. Then the screen would be raised off of the base, which would stick up above the main box. If you think that is a construction option worth considering, could you make a render of it? It should just involve moving some objects and changing a couple shapes by a little bit.
Well actually the d-pad and buttons take up more thickness than the keyboard keys actually. The pad mechanism and buttons use the carbon membrane plus molded pad disk and buttons. The travel is more. The keyboard is like a typical cellphone which is much thinner. They actually would use the same circuit board as shown.

On gp2x.de evildragon seems to say it definitely doesn't have analog control but people seem to still be speculating about it having analog control... can anyone confirm this for me because it might just be the crappy babelfish translation.

Jackd said:
On gp2x.de evildragon seems to say it definitely doesn't have analog control but people seem to still be speculating about it having analog control... can anyone confirm this for me because it might just be the crappy babelfish translation.
They said no analog. You don't need it you have a touchscreen. Analog sticks suck for most of what we use it for anyway which has digital controls. Remember NO N64 ;) What the hell is it with the obsession stupid dual analogs :rolleyes: What for? It isn't a PS2, Jesus.

cowai said:
I saw it at first, then I refreshed and it was gone...

EDIT: Kingbuzzo, I think we are twins irl! :ph34r:

It kinda confused me at first when I was reading this forum thinking I had posted on every page only to find out that it was you and not me at all :p

and I still can't see these renders or any of the links in your sig.

can we get some imageshack going here?

thanks,

King.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back