Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
X-Code said:
Please, whoever, tell us what the planned configuration for the keyboard is, slide, detachable, clamshell... We could keep on guessing for months but how are we expected to show you designs?

I know that I've asked this alot, but it is extremely important :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I was kind of looking forward to this but I am dissapointed to hear it is widescreen and has a keyboard. I was hoping it would be more aimed towards gaming rather than being a PDA but it seems to be a bit more like the latter.

EvilDragon said:
DaveC said:
In theory that will work. It may be OK 95% of the time. But haven't you heard of the problems with windows .dll files? The same thing that I said has happened alot.. Someone installs app with new .dll, old app breaks.

Weird, I work with computers since 1986, C64, Amiga, Mac, Windows, Linux, etc.
I administrate over 30 PCs here and never found a single app which didn't work when I installed a new one.

You probably better go buy yourself a PSP. You can be sure everything you need is on your UMD. And it will work.
I don't think Computers or OpenSource systems are the right system for you if you are too afraid of even using standards...

So: STOP moaning about that, it won't change anything and we'll make sure everything works.
Thanks. Over and out. Period.

Ich liebe dich!!!

And isn't it confirmed that we will have an attached keyboard? So why the further discussion? And from what mfk said about the 9500 not needing to be backlit because the screen lights it up I think we can assume that it will be clam shelled, otherwise the screen won't light the keys...?

lubidog said:
And isn't it confirmed that we will have an attached keyboard? So why the further discussion?
Not that I've seen. There will be a keyboard but the configuration hasn't been revealed. They aked for drawings so the design can't be too finalized.

And from what mfk said about the 9500 not needing to be backlit because the screen lights it up I think we can assume that it will be clam shelled, otherwise the screen won't light the keys...?

There's a difference between "I have a PDA and I like its keyboard" (which is basically what he said) and "We are going to copy the design of a PDA I have and like" (which is not what he said)

lubidog said:
Ich liebe dich!!!

And isn't it confirmed that we will have an attached keyboard? So why the further discussion? And from what mfk said about the 9500 not needing to be backlit because the screen lights it up I think we can assume that it will be clam shelled, otherwise the screen won't light the keys...?

I don't see confirmation anywhere of it finally being attached ( sure it is on the prototype ), but... It's a prototype.

Doesn't need to be a clamshell for it to illuminate the keys if the keyboard can slide out and the screen be tilted after ( nice idea methinks ) :)

cowai said:
Didn't Squidge say something about an FPU/extra co-prossesor?
I remember him and exophase arguing.
Well I think it was sort of there's no cpu dedicated fpu, but there is an on chip programmable thingy that can do FP calculations. Squidge seemed to think it could be useful, exophase was 'sceptical'.

So it sounds like a puzzle ball for programmers. There isn't an actual FPU on the MMSP2+, I think. I read the datasheet a while back - but I can't for the life of me remember how, since you have to be registered on their site to get it...

I think this thread is getting very long and confusing for newcomers. There are still people going around thinking its a PDA. Maybe a new thread started by someone semi-official with a few statements of belief is in order?

Wheeeeeeeeeee. First sketch?

gpwtfjy3.png

No flaming please. D:

Since we most likely would get a 800x480 LCD rather than a 640x480 one, and that we most likely don't want some elongated shit like the PSP, could it be that we have the 80 extra pixels on each side covered under the translucent/transparent plastic cover and buttons to allow cool light effects and such while leaving us an uncovered 640x480 area? :)

Could you make another one without the controls on the bottom as that would just be too large IMO. Furthermore it could make triggers tricker to use and doesn't really allow the space for two triggers each side.

Just my opinion mind you.

Metal-Geo said:
No flaming please. D:
No flaming, just a critique:

Is it wise to make it so you have to slide it open to use it at all? Might as well be a clamshell then which is simpler mechanically.

Also, the keyboard in that sketch would be about 5 cm across, which seems kind of small.

I wouldn't want to slide the keyboard out every time I wanted to play :)

It has to be locked to play, have 4 shoulder triggers, and have DPad-ish control on left, and 6 buttons on the right of the screen... Just below the screen some more buttons start/select, and an inset volume wheel

That's more or less how I imagine it, so now... Somone can draw it :lol:

Metal-Geo said:

No flaming please. D:
For me the Dpad and Actions button have to be on each side of the screen, not on the keybord side. It's just unplayable otherwise.

pepone said:
For me the Dpad and Actions button have to be on each side of the screen, not on the keybord side. It's just unplayable otherwise.
Agree, I think you should be able to not use/see the keyboard when playing.

If the new device will include touchscreen (been confirmed, right?), then the controls aren't that necessary for, say, browsing the menu and to open a movie.

sam fisher said:
Could you make another one without the controls on the bottom as that would just be too large IMO. Furthermore it could make triggers tricker to use and doesn't really allow the space for two triggers each side.

Just my opinion mind you.
Alrighty. :)

yaustar said:
The sketch kind of reminds me of the iRiver's handheld: http://kotaku.com/gaming/korea/irivers-han...ning-175636.php

Hahaha, yeah. As a matter of fact, I had that as a main inspiration source.

Dzz said:
No flaming, just a critique:

Is it wise to make it so you have to slide it open to use it at all? Might as well be a clamshell then which is simpler mechanically.

Also, the keyboard in that sketch would be about 5 cm across, which seems kind of small.
Like I said, the new thing will have touchscreen, right? And I expect the menu to be touchscreen featured. So basically, you need to slide out the controls for certain applications, but not for all.

The keyboard is bigger than 5cm across. It should be equally to the keyboard of the Qtek 9100. However, due to the lack of a ruler, I was unable to do any "precise" work. :(
I created the sketch in Adobe Illustrator, with the units being 'mm'. In my sketch, the handheld is 122,6 x 101.3 x 19 mm. The keyboard is (edge to edge) is 73.8 x 26.2 mm.

X-Code said:
I wouldn't want to slide the keyboard out every time I wanted to play :)
It has to be locked to play, have 4 shoulder triggers, and have DPad-ish control on left, and 6 buttons on the right of the screen... Just below the screen some more buttons start/select, and an inset volume wheel

That's more or less how I imagine it, so now... Somone can draw it :lol:

Input, output, volume, triggers and such weren't included in the design. The plan however was to use a slider (like with the NDS) for the volume. Rather than wheel.

I can't really, however, imagine 4 shoulder buttons. It'd be pretty much like the Wii Retro controller, I guess. 2 long, 2 small. 6 buttons could be too much, perhaps. However, with some thinking, I/we can design the keyboard in a way that it also functions for the controls.

pepone said:
Dunno how it's unplayable, really. I tried to move the controls far away from the bottom (which is where most people get their hand cramps from. :()

Edit:
gpwtf2rn4.png

It's getting a bit "long". Meh. Please do note that it's not really a sketch for the design, but more for button placing. The idea of the first one was to show the "hidden control" scheme. I think I'm gonna continue with that one. My goal now is to give it a keyboard that doubles for the controls.

Metal-Geo What I meant is that I like the design itself, but would prefer all gaming controls to the left and right of the screen. Hmm, maybe 6 buttons is too many , but I think that it would be possible ( maybe simply not necessary lol )

As for the shoulder triggers, I do think that it's possible to have 4, it's just down to size, shape & position.

Edit: Waiting desperately for new sketches :)

Edit 2: Yes, more or less like that

I also think dpad and buttons should not be on the keyboard. It looks and feels weird. But a slide out keyboard needs to be done. Yes, a clamshell is easier on the mechanic side but it breaks a lot easier aswell. A slide-out is just more robust.

Metal-Geo said:
That's more like it! :) What about you try with my idea of making the 80 extra pixels on each side of the 800x480 screen go under the translucent plastic cover just to see how it'd fit? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back