Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I'm :)

Touchscreen isn't optimal, but I would sacrifice the keyboard any day for another 5h extra battery time...

cowai said:

Touchscreen isn't optimal, but I would sacrifice the keyboard any day for another 5h extra battery time...

I would agree with this, but... If the keyboard is detachable, you can have both ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex. said:
Nice, I'll dust off the old sketchbook :)

What buttons does it have? Like the GP2X but with one additional analogue stick?
Seeing as this machine will hopefully be able to emulate PSX at near full speed (given it's faster processor and 3D accellerator) I'd hope we at least get two more shoulder buttons. :)

For those inclined to make a sketch or two, or even a render, the 4,3" screen should measure roughly 3,69" x 2,21" given the aspect ratio of 15:9.

Any word on the TV-out yet, in terms of what signals it will be able to output (RGB, S-Video, CVBS)? RGB should be the optimal choice for quality (arcade monitor quality), but obviously would require an external connector converter as sticking a fullsize SCART connector into the unit would be insanely bulky. :lol:

An open machine optimised for gaming and video but also with a touchscreen, WiFi and keyboard sounds like a dream come true, to me - I'll probably buy this sight-unseen :)

X-Code said:
cowai said:

I would agree with this, but... If the keyboard is detachable, you can have both ;)

Genious! Hey, you and me should build a handheld together ourselves, named the X-Cow™ Surely a dreamteam...

EDIT: Is your father rich?

EDIT2: I'm serious :ph34r:

cowai said:
X-Code said:
cowai said:

Genious! Hey, you and me should build a handheld ourselves, named the X-Cow™ Surely a dreamteam...

X-Cow™ - sounds like a dedicatory to my ex :lol:

Edit: No, my father isn't rich, I am a freelance coder / designer / beer drinking madman :lol:... I love to get my hands on any geek-ish machines B)

cowai said:
X-Code said:
cowai said:

Genious! Hey, you and me should build a handheld together ourselves, named the X-Cow™ Surely a dreamteam...

EDIT: Is your father rich?

Can I have a free one just because I was the first to ask? :p

X-Code said:
Ok, but you'll have to make a donation of $ 200 for your free machine ( you should get it by 2076 if you're lucky :lol: ) - It'll include holographic display and beer taps B)
Hmm... sounds fair!

I'll develop a virtual girlfriend on it in spirit of the name if you like?

I'll call it 'Mrs Cow-X'

Goobers said:
X-Code said:
Ok, but you'll have to make a donation of $ 200 for your free machine ( you should get it by 2076 if you're lucky :lol: ) - It'll include holographic display and beer taps B)
Hmm... sounds fair!

I'll develop a virtual girlfriend on it in spirit of the name if you like?

I'll call it 'Mrs Cow-X'

A holographic Mrs Cow-X would be brilliant if you can mute it :lol:

--

Going back on topic, if the machine is thick enough, 4 shoulder triggers ( people need more buttons for certain emulators, right?

DaveC said:
I do worry about dynamic libraries. What if you have an app that uses a certain one, then the library gets updated for a newer app and then the old app stops working? The old app could be updated but you know how devs come and go and many times don't release the source. Could be an issue. Static ones are bigger but apps are generally pretty small anyway. What is a meg here and there when 8-gig cards are getting cheaper by the day and will be real cheap by the time this is released?
Don't worry about that - nearly every system uses dynamic linked libraries (or what do you think .DLL files in Windows are?)

The Amiga also did use libraries (in libs-directory).

Newer libraries are backwards-compatible, so all old stuff will run.
But the good thing is: A newer version of the library might be more optimized, etc., and the program runs faster without recompiling.

Have you seen what I did with Super Methane Bros.?
I simply recompiled it with the Open2x Libs and it ran even smoother with 75MHz than the old GPH version ran at 200MHz.

If such programs used dynamic libraries, they'd run smoother without any recompiling :)

Last edited:
craigix said:
No, no dreamcast or N64 emulation (at least not full speed N64).

A system which could do that would be way too expensive to make currently.
shame that, about dreamcast, wasnt there a "dreamcast-on-a-chip" made? SH3707

I can not comment whether it wil emulate XXX full speed or XYZ half speed. Since we have amazing developers, impossible is nothing. ;)

Built-in A/V-Out? Yes for sure... with a simple yet usable cable included inside the package.

Everything is detachable if you want it to be!

Can we change thread title to "mfk discloses information..." - I think craig is too busy coding 'something'... :)

BTW. Can we have a joystick rather than a d-pad... *runs for cover*

EvilDragon said:
Newer libraries are backwards-compatible, so all old stuff will run.
With all the different linuxes out there, and all the millions of different versions of libraries - this would be impossible to ensure 100% compatibility. Imagine I develop a game today, and build it using current libraries - will those libraries still be guaranteed to behave in the same manner today as in five or ten years time.

I think small time homebrew amateurs should be encouraged to us static linking. Others that would will still be programming five years down the line, or are sufficiently good to program not relying on some quirk of a particular library/compiler or are developing something that is high profile, like PSX should probably dynamically link.

I know after doing a calculator project in C that I used some syntax that strictly wasn't correct when I used the Gp2x windows compiler. When I switched to Microsoft visual studio I was horrified by the amount of compiler errors due to my loose syntax. That's an entirely separate issue really but you get the point - amateurs are idiots and won't necessarily realise when they're using something that is an accident rather than part of a library definition. That's me btw :)

Anyway options are good and having up to date libraries is only a good thing. It won't prevent anyone static linking, but I do think a little more reserve on the whole "Everyone dynamically link!" thing is in order. On the other hand, I'm only a second year computer engineering student - maybe there's a lot tighter hold on linux libs than I imagine, maybe its easy to ensure backwards compatibility. I am just making two assumptions to the converse, correct me if I'm wrong.

what we really need and that has been greatly missed in the gp2x is a real time clock. It's a handy feature anyways for tools and apps but also quite good to have if you are playing games like pokemon etc... it's terrible to be playing and waiting forever for it to be nighttime ingame ^^.

I think a realtime clock would be a no-cost mus have feature.

really? i need to try that. Still it would be great to have a hassle free real realtime clock... having it as an alarm clock would definately be cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back