Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want mine with a kitchen sink, So it can do the washing up for me. :rolleyes:

I can not believe some of the "silly" <-(My opinion) idea`s /suggestion some people have come up with :blink: . I mean, We just "may be" getting away from AA batteries (Where quite a few people complained of them not having enough power) and entering the relms of the li-ion battery, And people have asked for things like Pcmcia slots, Wifi, Touch screens, 800x480 resolution screens, Dual analogue sticks, Dual sd card slots, Motion sensor, Ambient light sensor, built-in amplifiers :blink: , What are some of you guys/girls smoking. Worst part about it, Is that alot of people are expecting or not wanting to pay more than $200 or £99 :blink: . But they what a good quality, Well built product, That just does not happen, Well not in my world it don't. Plus, Once all that *Cough* Crap *Cough* is bolted on the "New Machine", Does anyone think we shall achieve longer battery times than we currently do with the GP2x ?.

Best thing to do is keep it simple.

Better built product
Faster processor
Proper D-pad
SDHC support built-in
3D accelerator
Enough buttons to accomodate psx emulation (Which is probably a realistic goal this system could achieve at full speed)

Even that could end up costing up to £200.

I'll shut up now. :)

Trooper

Seriously though, how about a built in TV tuner? With more and more stations broadcasting in HD, a simple antenna could pick up the signal, and we'd have true HDTV on the go!

TelcoLou said:
Seriously though, how about a built in TV tuner? With more and more stations broadcasting in HD, a simple antenna could pick up the signal, and we'd have true HDTV on the go!
And an add-on mini-cooler powered through the USB host, can't watch HDTV on the go without cold booze & pop on hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex. said:
Wow, updates to software via Wifi? How would you know how to keep save files for upgraded games, for example? Could each dev include an update script in the package that tells the unit what files to delete or to overwrite based on the version you already have installed?

It will be very difficult to get right, and to get all devs to go along with it. Installing software for the GP2X is as easy as unzipping and then dragging-and-dropping, if people really can't handle that much work for free games and apps, then...
Honestly, someone who does not read news here all the time will never know that a SNES emulator was updated, or that Hexen was updated to fix controls a few months ago.

Infact, I'm sure a lot of my apps are out of date because I only come back here from time to time, so I miss a lot of updates. If I could just plug my GP2X into my PC via USB and have all my apps updated (warnings of savestate incompatibililty included I hope) I would be one happy camper.

If people are interested, I would be happy to write the specifications. I would use a quick hash scan of all executables to identify what is already "installed". Send this hashes to the server via TCP and get a XML file in return listing all updates. Each entry includes a text of what changes are made and where the CMS can find the resource files to update the application if the user agrees.

This way, each time a new or updated application is added, an administrator adds to the CMS server the executables hash and a description that was probably ripped from the developers release notes. The developers do not have to do anything. But informing the administrator would be helpful.

So, this could just be a quick app that wouldn't take long at all to develop but have a lot of benefit. It could be easily added to whatever menu system is distributed with the system.

We have indeed listened to all the ideas over the last 2 years.

We are also trying to keep everything nice and simple in the way it works.

There will indeed be a one click install system (if you want to use it).

We are trying to keep the price low, not too much more than the GP2X but offering a hell of a lot more for your money.

Of course a lot of people from the scene are involved, I know you all want photos and more specs, but we want to release them a little closer to the launch.

Yes we have some software from the GP2X running and yes the system will still run Linux.

We can't use an exact dpad but we can get pretty close to one, it will be digital and should work very well (better than the PSP one for example).

December isn't a deadline, it is just a nice goal we have, as I've said we won't release until it is ready and working exactly as we want it. We would not ever repeat GPHs 1st edition madness.

We are enjoying reading your thoughts so keep them coming :)

All the pieces fall into place now, I assume Squidge is continuing Spot on this new device, right? Is the GP2X compatibility handled through a similar method? (is the main processor still an ARM9?)

It's great news you listen to community ideas and that you won't rush the release. The fewer different MK's, the more satisfied everyone will be.

Do you think the new system will see a greater commercial dev backing? Not necessarily big studios, but passionate people like the Apex Designs guys?

Oh, and does the little fella have a name yet? :)

sam fisher said:
Are OLED's not just organically based LCD screens?
It's Organic Light Emitting Diode display, not Organic Liquid Crystal Display.

EDIT: If you don't get that, it means the pixels themselves emit light, so there is no need for a backlight.

jmetal88 said:
sam fisher said:

word.

And the GP3X should have one!

... along with a personal vaporizer and beverage cooler via USB of course ;)

TelcoLou said:
jmetal88 said:
sam fisher said:

word.

Don't OLED displays have a really short lifespan??

(it should also have a taser for self defense)

Goobers said:
TelcoLou said:
jmetal88 said:
sam fisher said:

word.

Who cares about lifespan? By that time, we'll all be speculating about the GP4X and its mini-holo deck interface!

Goobers said:
TelcoLou said:
jmetal88 said:
sam fisher said:

word.

I think the new adaptive OLEDs last a long time. And are super bright. I saw a dozen or so at the last SONY show and tell. I gather they are important because they were only 12" yet there was a horde or people chekcing them out. Love to see one on a handheld. ;)

jmetal88 said:
sam fisher said:

EDIT: If you don't get that, it means the pixels themselves emit light, so there is no need for a backlight.

Righto.

I will have problems affording this :( but I will save my christmas money.

sam fisher said:
jmetal88 said:
sam fisher said:

Righto.

wow this sounds pretty cool but def need a screen so u actually see in the sunlight..

predatorramboxxx said:
sam fisher said:
jmetal88 said:
sam fisher said:

Righto.

wow this sounds pretty cool but def need a screen so u actually see in the sunlight..

Type properly or please leave the internet.

sam fisher said:
predatorramboxxx said:
sam fisher said:
jmetal88 said:
sam fisher said:

Righto.

Type properly or please leave the internet.

So this is AP english now...
:D

BOT:

Sunlight? Who plays video games outside? In the SUN?!? **shudders**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back