Craig The 12 Doctor?

x68000 said:
There are loads of great US TV Series, such as 24, Heroes, The Wire etc, but these are my favourites.
Ack... Heroes... the show that could've been so great!

x68000 said:
DEXTER. Basically this is fucking brilliant. Michael C. Hall who was the gay David from Six Feet Under stars as Dexter, an amazing achievement.
I haven't watched most of the shows you've mentioned, but I agree that Dexter is great. Unfortunately, I first viewed the cut version (of the first season) rather than the Showtime ones. The rampant cursing in the Showtime versions really turned me off. It's not how much they swear though - it's just that we use different swears where I live, so every single utterance coming out of their mouths is a bombshell. It's quite distracting, and takes away from the story.

I searched online for and found that Dexter is one of the few shows where the consensus is, censoring stuff actually improved it.

It's too bad they only censored one season.

x68000 said:
CHUCK. At first this seems a bit daft… and actually it is daft, but intentionally. The premise seems a bit unbelievable, but that's part of the charm. Chuck is brilliant as is Casey (Adam Baldwin who was a total bastard in Day Break), it's comedic yet clever as hell and has great action, great will-they-won't they romance. For something which initially seems simply daft, it's actually utterly brilliant once you give it half a chance.
Chuck certainly has some hilarious moments. I like it because (for the most part) they haven't fallen into the traps that every other show from recent years has. Shows like Heroes are hard for me to stomache.

iprice said:
Dexter is indeed ace.

There's also -

Criminal Minds
Medium
NCIS
CSI:NY
Grey's Anatomy - keeps the girlies happy anyway
Miami Medical
House

All American, all enjoyable tv.

+1 for Criminal Minds, NCIS, and House. ;)

Alpha2 said:
and Stargate Universe has abandoned the fun vibe of the previous shows for the angsty, annoying, dirty style of BSG which I hated (I will say the last few episodes it has lightened up a bit mostly due to fan response but it's still no where near as enjoyable ad SG1 or Atlantis.)
I was an avid Stargate fan until this one, as well.

I don't care about the atmosphere, so much as the completely ridiculous situations they throw the people into, and the conclusions they have them draw. Half the time you're expected to believe they are geniuses, and the other half they act as smart as teapots.

Plus, their actions push plot along, rather than being believable.

Examples:

It took me about 5 seconds after they started moving towards the sun to figure out *ding ding ding* it's refueling. Think: Ship travelling for 100k years, needs to refuel about every 5, probably.... DUH. Refueling.

Rush, the master manipulator, bluntly telling Young some crap straight to his face... so that Young punches him, which gives us a fight scene and then Rush gets knocked out, so that Aliens can pick him up and then they get to fight the bad nasty aliens (space battles!) and are victorious, but the aliens come back and they get to fight them again and again. Also, the aliens add drama by pinning them down, and restricting their escape routes. (such as when the Destiny was leaving the galaxy)

You know what? That's bullcrap. If I were writing it, Rush would've been stranded... but thanks to his decent memory and planning(he WAS looking at the ship's plotted path before getting stranded), he'd gate to a world ahead of the ship, and greet them upon their next arrival. Then you could introduce the attempted takeover of the ship.

What's different? No aliens and space battles - the two things that killed Star Trek, when they replaced a decent believable story with them.

What else?... oh - a KNOWN TIMELOOP. OMFG. Do you know how rare it is to have a chance like that, and actually know WHEN it's going to happen before it does? Okay, so no organic matter or chemically sensitive stuff can go through... it'd still be a great time to stock up on guns, utensils, minerals, and pretty much anything else they might need a lot of. If they had put a reference to that in the episode right after, it would've been so awesome. I can just picture the gate room filled with guns and stuff, with them congratulating Eli on his good idea.

What else... what else... oh, Eli changed! He no longer has any curiosity about anything, and rather than jumping to the right logical conclusion as any observer or young person would, he jumps to the same conclusions as every other damn person, which is the only conclusion that allows a crappy plot to continue. You're a gamer man. For god's sake, act like one!

Heroes is even worse. There's dozens of moments where the writers actually screwed up and did something they couldn't do, or just forgot some capability was available. Or did the same thing they mentioned happened to another person, but with a completely different result, just because.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alpha2 said:
The last season of Heroes, you could sense them trying to fix the things that were broke. The thing that hurt it most was the writers strike. The network had to take what they had of that season and a midseason miniseries called Villians and kitbash it into a finished half season, when the writers returned they had to fix all the holes left from the shoddy editing as well as the fact that the executive producer had left to work on Pushing Daises. By the time he got back after IT was canceled, the public opinion has swayed to a point where no one wanted to really give a chance to heal. It's sad really.

I would agree with you, but I kept watching long after that (up until the last season). I really didn't think it got any better.

As for Star trek I think the success of the reboot has them questioning exactly what to do next. Can they get away with another season in the same Next gen universe with the changes made by the movie or just start fresh in the new universe. It's a hard choice to make, I dont envy it.

I hope they don't. The last film just didn't feel like Trek at all. It felt more like Andromeda than Star Trek. And honestly, I didn't even like it as a film. I must live in a bubble or something, as everyone I've spoken to absolutely loved it.

Maybe it just needed more wales...

torpor said:
Finally I understand the "Two More Months" point now .. 'we will go off with our sexy assistants in the TARDIS for two more months, and things should be ready then' .. well, we know how reliable that bloody TARDIS can be!

"Right, back again, Pandoras all ready to go!"

- "So when you said you just had to go finish them off..."

"Yep, two months like I said, and here I am!"

- "THAT WAS TWO YEARS AGO!"

"Oh."
"Oops."

Someone should make a SHAUN OF THE DEAD 2!!

Model it on George A Romero's "Land of the Dead"..

"LAND OF THE SHAUN!"

kingoddball said:

"LAND OF THE SHAUN!"
My 3 favourite movies with 'dead' in the title:

Brain Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Evil Dead 2

Suggestions?

kingoddball said:

"LAND OF THE SHAUN!"

I don't know if I'm actually remembering this from somewhere, or if it's just the Optimism Centre of my brain mis-firing, but I seem to recall rumours of a "From Dusk Till Shawn" (i.e. vampires) movie as being something that might be coming.

MattF said:
kingoddball said:

"LAND OF THE SHAUN!"

I don't know if I'm actually remembering this from somewhere, or if it's just the Optimism Centre of my brain mis-firing, but I seem to recall rumours of a "From Dusk Till Shawn" (i.e. vampires) movie as being something that might be coming.
I think it got shelved after Simon Pegg's career took off, plus it wouldn't be the same without Nick Frost

I'll never forgive Simon Pegg for dismissing the prospect of Spaced 3 since he 'made it big'.

Back