Why I Love Blighty And The Nhs.

michaeljustman said:
I've only heard stories of Canada's socialized medical system. I'm not familiar with the UK's. I've a few Canadian friends who've told me that there's always a ridiculous wait time for any kind of health care in their system and there's no real incentive for doctor's to provide good service, so most doctors will give you a quick diagnosis to move onto another patient.
The ridiculous waits are for people with unimportant problems. "I stubbed my toe!" "I've got this weird cough." "When I hold my breath I get dizzy and pass out!". In seriousness, if you show up because you think you have a cold or the flu, you will wait. If you show up complaining of chest pains, or with a visibly open wound or anything like that, you will be seen ASAP. The problem in Canada is that when people need to see a doctor, they go to the emergency room, even when making an appointment to see your family doctor is better option. And then they complain about the wait. Sometimes we're not very bright.
Back in university, I was having chronic headaches. Not migraines or anything, just this dull pain, as if my forehead was stretched too tight, very infrequent but would always come back. I could have gone to the emergency room, but instead I made an appointment to see my doctor. Two days later he looked me over, did some tests. The following week I was in for a CT scan! Final conclusion: overstressed, my muscles were too tight. A recommendation to a massage therapist (because it was doctor recommended it was covered by OHIP) and I was feeling fine and dandy!
Long story short: if you have an emergency, go to the emergency room and you will be seen, and treated, quickly and professionally. If you have a general complaint and show up in the emergency room, the doctor will give you a quick diagnosis and get you out of there as fast as possible because you never know when someone with a real emergency will show up. If you have a general complaint, your family doctor is the best person to talk to.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
michaeljustman said:
I've only heard stories of Canada's socialized medical system. I'm not familiar with the UK's. I've a few Canadian friends who've told me that there's always a ridiculous wait time for any kind of health care in their system and there's no real incentive for doctor's to provide good service, so most doctors will give you a quick diagnosis to move onto another patient.
The ridiculous waits are for people with unimportant problems. "I stubbed my toe!" "I've got this weird cough." "When I hold my breath I get dizzy and pass out!". In seriousness, if you show up because you think you have a cold or the flu, you will wait. If you show up complaining of chest pains, or with a visibly open wound or anything like that, you will be seen ASAP. The problem in Canada is that when people need to see a doctor, they go to the emergency room, even when making an appointment to see your family doctor is better option. And then they complain about the wait. Sometimes we're not very bright.
Back in university, I was having chronic headaches. Not migraines or anything, just this dull pain, as if my forehead was stretched too tight, very infrequent but would always come back. I could have gone to the emergency room, but instead I made an appointment to see my doctor. Two days later he looked me over, did some tests. The following week I was in for a CT scan! Final conclusion: overstressed, my muscles were too tight. A recommendation to a massage therapist (because it was doctor recommended it was covered by OHIP) and I was feeling fine and dandy!
Long story short: if you have an emergency, go to the emergency room and you will be seen, and treated, quickly and professionally. If you have a general complaint and show up in the emergency room, the doctor will give you a quick diagnosis and get you out of there as fast as possible because you never know when someone with a real emergency will show up. If you have a general complaint, your family doctor is the best person to talk to.

Yea, my dad moved over to Canada a couple of years ago and last year had some serious health issues. He said that if he had been in the States that he probably wouldn't have been able to afford the care. He had only good things to say about their services. Luckily, he was well taken care of in Canada.

craigix said:
People complain about the NHS all the time, but imagine if we didn't have it.

I love it.

If we didn't have it, I'd be out of a job!

I have worked for the NHS mental health services (Rehabilitation) for the last 18 years.

Back