Cracks

Edglex

The lid of my pandora is developing quite nasty cracks in the corners... this is definitely not from rough treatment as I hardly take it anywhere and it is always in the case. Anyone else seen this? Would it be covered by warranty? I will post some pictures later.

I've got one of these, also not from harsh treatment (mine sprung up during a couple of weeks when I wasn't even using it, in fact).

I filled mine with Sugru, myself, as my guess was that it might affect other casings from the same batch.

Mine also came up while I wasn't using it. I'm wondering if it could be temperature changes in my flat or something (it's been very hot then cold in the UK lately - at least in the south). I just got it out today and discovered these cracks which I'm sure weren't there before.

*sad face*

Can you still see the cracks after filling with sugru?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately yes, as the black variety of Sugru is not quite the same shade as that of the Pandora's casing. I've got a picture of a filled hinge-crack in this thread, which shows that it's slightly off, but not too far. (I used the same method on the crack on the lid of mine, but it's narrow enough that it was difficult to photograph.)

The up-side is that Sugru adheres to the surfaces you put it on, so when you use it as a filler, it at least sticks the two sides of the crack together.

I don't think it's temperature-related, by the by, as mine happened when it was warmer, and when no large changes in temperature were occurring weather-wise.

Mine also has cracks going down the far left and far right sides of the lid from the bottom, near the hinge. There's also a crack on the center of the hinge on the same plastic.

And, just like the others posting here, I don't really throw mine around too much. The extent of movement it gets is being in my loose cargo pants pockets. So I'm temped to believe what Prometheus says and it's a natural occurrence.

Would it have anything to do with the part sizes?Maybe the inner plastic is stressing the outer lid enough to crack...

One question of my own: Is it normal that the inner lid plastic's tab on the right isn't snapped into the outer lid? Because I've had mine for 5 months now and have been wondering that since it came in...

I posted in July about this problem. Also I hardly ever close my lid in hopes of staving off the inevitable PTOD, which I believe is caused by this (duh). Was waiting for a better case (plastic blend) and do a new lcd cable/case surgery. Now it seems it must be fixed because I have cracks coming from both sides of the corner and I'm afraid the whole corner will break off. I think I am going to try plastaid (www.plast-aid.com) they say it will also act as a binding glue. Aside from these problems my Pandora works great...

Les

^ Don't worry about this too much - the PTOD is not related to the cracks, it's related to an earlier revision of the internal LCD cable which wears out too quickly over time. The revised one (which ED replaces them with when he gets these in for repairs, I gather) doesn't have this issue.

I know it's related to opening and closing the lid and the old cable. That's why i don't close it unless I need to. Waited 2 1/2 years to get my Pandora and am not in a hurry to RMA it. I wish I knew when the new cables started being used, I think they are still using the old ones. I thought about making a box that supports the Pandora with the screen up... then I would have a Pandora"s box.. :)

Ohhh, duh. Pardon me, I completely misread what you said - I thought you meant that the PTOD was related to the cracks, rather than opening and closing the lid. :lol: Sorry about that!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that they've been using the new cables for a while, if that helps at all. And I know that if your cable needs replacing, that's what you'll get.

Back