Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Please stay safe, y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've not seen evidence that they don't precent infection, just a lack of evidence that they do because it's not been tested for yet. Don't mix those two things up in your head.
Well I know how to read, and this is what I read in clear text here and in another articles: "The new Covid-19 vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna seem to be remarkably good at preventing serious illness".
So if it prevents "serious illness", that means that "vaccinated" people can be contaminated, period.

Plus: "We know that a person with COVID-19 may be contagious 48 to 72 hours before starting to experience symptoms."
I guess that prevented/mitigated "serious illness" can be called "symptoms", and therefore the virus isn't completely inactivated, and therefore can very well spread.

Some people eat badly, or smoke, or live sedentarian, or have philosophical attitudes that lead them to more stress and are more likely to get all sort of diseases, some of them contagious, so they are relatively more of a public health risk than others.

correct, but those choices really only affect your own health. if not enough people get the vaccine (to get herd immunity), we'll still have outbreaks of the virus. so your personal choices affect other people's health, when it comes to vaccines.

Some people who vaccinated with a 95% effective vaccine (assuming that's the efficiency for contagion too, not only symptoms) will be 20 times more careless with masks, social distancing and hand washing or social circles than some who didn't vaccinate but isolate, wash and wear mask as much as possible.

yeah, we still need education and people to know to keep wearing masks and social distancing until enough people are vaccinated.

but i still think it's ok to say "you can't come to public schools if you aren't vaccinated", etc. anything that's funded (in part) by the government should be allowed to make whatever rules they think necessary, including buses. even private establishments (no masks no service), though it's harder to know if people are vaccinated there.

"This is the list of what the EU is paying:
  • Oxford/AstraZeneca: €1.78 (£1.61).
  • Johnson & Johnson: $8.50 (£6.30).
  • Sanofi/GSK: €7.56.
  • Pfizer/BioNTech: €12.
  • CureVac: €10.
  • Moderna: $18."

The Guardian also says the price depends a little in how much money each administration put in the research or whether the company paid it all.
The question is not only the price, but the conditions of sale.

If my poor German does not betray me they say Argentina won't get Pfizer/BioNTech because their Parliament didn't accept the conditions the pharma company wanted:
- Not to be judged in Argentinian courts for unknown adverse effects.
- The company should be allowed to choose the courts it preferred
- If any money should be pay as compensation for claims about side effects, it'd be for Argentina to pay
- confidentiality
So they seem to get Sputnik from Russia, but the secret contract has 4000 pages (in Russian) an it is not so clear how many doses they get and when.

The state of Sȧo Paulo in Brazil is getting 3.5 million doses of Coronavac from China. (Bolsonaro does not seem likely to buy federally)

President-elect Biden has a plan to reopen all schools in his first one hundred days in office, basically by the end of April. I wonder which scientists he listened to on that one.

He will probably mandate vaccinations to attend school.

I do wonder how long the vaccinations will be effective for and how long it will take for the virus to mutate enough for it to be ineffective. Already there have been 1,000+ mutations and the UK version is mutated on the spike which is what the vaccines target...and the vaccine isn't even widespread yet.
Post automatically merged:

anything that's funded (in part) by the government should be allowed to make whatever rules they think necessary, including buses.

Private establishments can do whatever they want, but the government funding comes from people. Not cool to charge people for things the government is going to put restrictions on the usage of. Its kinda like the EU saying "No healthcare if you eat bad foods"

Last edited:
From a family friend who works in the main hospital for a major UK city, I understand that people who are supposed to be receiving the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine are queuing outside the designated building for over an hour and a half, not receiving them when they’re supposed to, because there’s so much paperwork and then each patient has to be observed for 15mins after the injection in case of adverse reaction.

Oh. And the hospital is unable to run at full capacity because Coronavirus has spread to every department and so many of its staff are off ill with it.

Last edited:
Life would be so boring without paperwork. :^)

I fear that every fake lockdown here and there favors the emergence of more and more contagious strains, same for some other viruses.

He will probably mandate vaccinations to attend school.
What school ? I think there is currently no COVID-19 vaccine for people younger than 16 years old.
I half remember most studies say children spread COVID-19 but very little, I don't remember maybe 10 times less than an adult.
So if the schools impose well thought out protocols (ventilation, masks, different entry and exit times to avoid many people at the door at the same time, etc.), open schools are not a major problem.
It's not easy but it's doable.
And the impact of stopping school is huge.

Private establishments can do whatever they want, but the government funding comes from people. Not cool to charge people for things the government is going to put restrictions on the usage of. Its kinda like the EU saying "No healthcare if you eat bad foods"
ACK

Life would be so boring without paperwork. :^)
It may be needed, but maybe one should need to do it at the same time as vaccination ? Peopel could take the papers out (or download them) read them in calm and bring them signed at the vaccination appointment.

I fear that every fake lockdown here and there favors the emergence of more and more contagious strains, same for some other viruses.
I don't understand what you mean.

With each fake lockdown, the virus strains that stay in the game are those with best "contagion skills".
So they have the upperhand over less contagious strains.
This rule is also valid for flu, etc.

With each fake lockdown, the virus strains that stay in the game are those with best "contagion skills".

You mean that with strict lockdowns, no virus should survive and with no lockdowns many virus would spread but without need for selection of the most "contagion skilled" ?
Does it matter ? The virus population would still select for the most contagious whenever needed ? I mean if a virus is "skilled to mutate to be more ocntagious" is as good as "skilled to be contagious", isn't it ?

From a family friend who works in the main hospital for a major UK city, I understand that people who are supposed to be receiving the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine are queuing outside the designated building for over an hour and a half, not receiving them when they’re supposed to, because there’s so much paperwork and then each patient has to be observed for 15mins after the injection in case of adverse reaction.
I've heard of a couple people that have already had it, and in both cases they went to their local doctors and got it done. Yes, they have to wait 15 minutes before leaving after having the vaccine, but they seem to be able to factor that in while only mobile people in their 80s and above need to be considered.

You mean that with strict lockdowns, no virus should survive and with no lockdowns many virus would spread but without need for selection of the most "contagion skilled" ?
Does it matter ? The virus population would still select for the most contagious whenever needed ? I mean if a virus is "skilled to mutate to be more ocntagious" is as good as "skilled to be contagious", isn't it ?
Strict lockdowns like those in China stop the spread.
My hypothesis:
With repetitive false lockdowns, viruses who "evade" are the most "contagion skilled".

It matters, exactly like the problem of over-cleaning in hospitals (and over-use of antibiotics), staphylococcus aureus are proeminent and more and more resistant.
In normal circumstances, staphylococcus aureus are in competition with other viruses/bacterias.

What school ? I think there is currently no COVID-19 vaccine for people younger than 16 years old.
I half remember most studies say children spread COVID-19 but very little, I don't remember maybe 10 times less than an adult.
So if the schools impose well thought out protocols (ventilation, masks, different entry and exit times to avoid many people at the door at the same time, etc.), open schools are not a major problem.
It's not easy but it's doable.
And the impact of stopping school is huge.

On Reddit there was an interesting infographic of hot spots coupled with news/restrictions in a time lapse format.

Some of the largest blooms were with school starting again.

Kids are very effective at spread. They just don't seem to suffer the worst of the effects, although the jury is still out about long term issues.

16 and up is high school. Let's be real though the precautions you mention will n not be followed by grade schoolers who don't know any better.

On Reddit there was an interesting infographic of hot spots coupled with news/restrictions in a time lapse format.

Some of the largest blooms were with school starting again.

Kids are very effective at spread. They just don't seem to suffer the worst of the effects, although the jury is still out about long term issues.

Really ? I'll try to find what I read, but I don't remember well, so I'm not confident to find it again

16 and up is high school. Let's be real though the precautions you mention will n not be followed by grade schoolers who don't know any better.
Oh, sure. I don't trust teenagers to behave. It's just that I even trust less their parents to control them than their teachers, who until they break down are professionals with some knowledge and much experience handling them,
and maybe each being hated by each teenager during only one year and not 15.
If these people [EDIT: I meant teenagers, not teachers, it's funny that I know find it ambigous] don't go to high school they will hang close together in all kinds of places without masks (or even clothes, sometimes) and will spread even more than in high school,
where breaking a few rules while abiding by some other might be "brave" enough for them.

This is not waht I had read before, but I found a presentation why WHO saying that it's above all children under 10 who are the least spreaders. Teenagers seem to be closer to adults.
I also read somewhere that homeschooling made teenagers happier (less mobbing, stress, etc.). I doubt it's so effectively academically as in person teaching, but it will depend a lot on the resources and preparation in each center.

I'm very disturbed by the fact that the WHO is still citing the fake Lancet study as a anti-hydroxychloroquine argument in its french covid FAQ.

"À titre d’exemple, une étude observationnelle publiée le 22 mai dans la revue The Lancet a montré que, sur 100 000 patients de différents pays randomisés pour recevoir de l’hydroxychloroquine (seule ou en association avec un macrolide), le taux de mortalité était plus élevé et l’arythmie cardiaque plus fréquente."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back