Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Please stay safe, y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that it took more than four years before anyone took any notice of the side-effects of Thalidomide, I am somewhat sceptical of any long-term side effects of any new vaccine - particularly one that will be rushed out as fast as these will be.

Given that it took more than four years before anyone took any notice of the side-effects of Thalidomide, I am somewhat sceptical of any long-term side effects of any new vaccine - particularly one that will be rushed out as fast as these will be.
I think a lot of non anti-vaxxers also share that worry...

Even if there will be a Vaxxine, not everywhone have to get Vaxxed or how this get called (geimpft), at first they who have worse desieses or the old or workers in a Hospital, they will get the Vaxxine, and normal peaple, like whe 30 - 50 Yeahrs old "Retro Handheld Nerds" may not need the Vaxxine after all..

I dont be got Vaxxed at all, i think my last one where tetanus/Diftery in the Elementary Shool, also you dont have to get in contact whit Corona Peaple, even if you work in a Shop like i do, but i know somewhere should the Corona Peaple be,

but i know somewhere should the Corona Peaple be,
Dutch call it "Preventief Ruimen" (präventive keulung).

My concern is that the mRNA vaccine (which is being pushed, and in the promo it sounds very nice and all) will make white bloodcells detect production of viral DNA from a cell, then these white bloodcells proceed to phagocytize (eat) the whole cell. Now imagine you get an injection, and the mRNA goes into the blood stream, and you just got a contusion/inflamation somewhere in the brain or heart, and all these mRNA things get slowed down there, and go into cells there. And then, when you get naturally infected, the white bloodcells, trained, react viciously and kill the host too (human)
Or with pregnant women: Imagine fetal white cells detect and start eating stemcells just because they are producing viral code already.
There is mRNA able to cross the Blood-Brain Barrier (not sure if similar to placenta-Barrier, but there are babies with aids (bigger payload to cross barrier), so I guess it can - disclaimer: IANAD)
Or it got into a woman's egg, inactive until the egg becomes a working cell (get's fecundated)

Actually, in BioMed class we did that once: We took e.coli and injected them with mRNA to synthesize insuline. The cells start producing it, get full of insuline, and in order to survive they need to duplicate so that each new cell has 50% of the "waste". And at the end of a few duplication cycles (keep them warm, keep the fed), we take the e.coli, put them in a centrifugator, and the G-forces rip the cells of the poor e-coli, and insuline gravitates to a certain spot, where it can be extracted in it's pure form. It's a very cheap method to produce insulin.

Last edited:
Even if there will be a Vaxxine, not everywhone have to get Vaxxed or how this get called (geimpft), at first they who have worse desieses or the old or workers in a Hospital, they will get the Vaxxine, and normal peaple, like whe 30 - 50 Yeahrs old "Retro Handheld Nerds" may not need the Vaxxine after all..

I dont be got Vaxxed at all, i think my last one where tetanus/Diftery in the Elementary Shool, also you dont have to get in contact whit Corona Peaple, even if you work in a Shop like i do, but i know somewhere should the Corona Peaple be,

At least in the beginning vaccinating won't be compulsory (I hear that'd be counterproductive, but I haven't read why). Despite being clearly priorities on who to vaccinate, there're so many people to vaccinate and not so easy infrastructure to do so, than letting the willing ones first is no problem at all.
By the time it's compulsory (if ever) there'll be hopefully more data to assess safety and efficacy (although they're effectively calling phase 4 what should be phase 3 and that loses doubleblindness, but I guess we must make do with that).

By the way, a vaccine is of course called vaccine because it has cow super powers. In Europe they come from XVIII century smallpox (in China it seems from X century). The first vaccine came from cowpox, and "cow" is "vacca" in Latin. If you get a little cowpox sample you get cow super power and won't get smallpox. So you're vaccinated. By the way, I was taught in the Pastoral poetry/novel the shepherd women were the ideal of female beauty because at the time (XVI - XVII centuries ?) smallpox were common, and left ugly scars. Cow shepherds drank fresh cow milk and got immunization from cowpox, so they were less affected by smallpox and had fairer skin than average. Poets and writers captivated by her healthy skin imagined her lives to be peaceful and simple, and their jobs to leave them time for love while her cows grazed, and idealized them with their cliches.

(Ich habe keine Ähnung woher "Impfung"/"impfen" kommt)

The anti-vaxxers are called anti-vaxxers because they don't deserve proper spelling.

Last edited:
"Präventive Keulung" Sounds like the Eutanasie Programm from the Nazis in the 1930-40

The Problem whe have in Germany arend the anti vaxxers, but Peaple who refuse the Anti Corona Laws, the Demonstrators and the Mask Refusers who dont Believe that the Virus existst, but that this is a Conspiration of the German Gouverment, (or QANON, or the Jews or something..)..

Some of them compare them selfes to Sophie Scholl, or Anne Frank (A 11 Yeahrs old Girl because she had to celeprate her Birthday whit her friends very quiet, so he want get caught by her neightbors who would call the police..

So after spending six days in the 1500s, COVID-19 hospitalizations in my state spent one day each at 1600 and 1700, before hitting over 1800 today.

With Thanksgiving not even having happened yet, things look kinda grim.

At least in the beginning vaccinating won't be compulsory (I hear that'd be counterproductive, but I haven't read why).
Because, as Matzesu already notes, there are plenty of people who get all uppity as soon as anyone in power says they must do something. Better to get more evidence that vaccination works first and hope that's enough to convince people. There are people saying we should limit what unvaccinated people can do, like cinemas and airports, but they have to be careful in what they stop the uppity people doing.

By the way, a vaccine is of course called vaccine because it has cow super powers. In Europe they come from XVIII century smallpox (in China it seems from X century). The first vaccine came from cowpox, and "cow" is "vacca" in Latin. If you get a little cowpox sample you get cow super power and won't get smallpox. So you're vaccinated. By the way, I was taught in the Pastoral poetry/novel the shepherd women were the ideal of female beauty because at the time (XVI - XVII centuries ?) smallpox were common, and left ugly scars. Cow shepherds drank fresh cow milk and got immunization from cowpox, so they were less affected by smallpox and had fairer skin than average. Poets and writers captivated by her healthy skin imagined her lives to be peaceful and simple, and their jobs to leave them time for love while her cows grazed, and idealized them with their cliches.

I got the smallpox vaccine. Nasty business that, or at least the kind they gave. It is a jab on your shoulder and it is a live vaccine. In a couple days you get a huge pustual. The actual vaccine can spread to other parts of your body by touch so you have to be very careful changing the dressings and wear gloves. You feel absolutely terrible and end up with a huge scar on your shoulder.
Post automatically merged:

So after spending six days in the 1500s, COVID-19 hospitalizations in my state spent one day each at 1600 and 1700, before hitting over 1800 today.

With Thanksgiving not even having happened yet, things look kinda grim.

TSA reports more than 3 million people have already traveled for Thanksgiving as of Tuesday.... Wed/Thurs/Fri through the weekend are the historically enormous travel days.

The only reason I won't say "a little lower efficacy for much cheaper means more people saved" is because I haven't studied medicine. If there's something suspicious in Oxford's data I couldn't tell.

See why I shouldn't give opinion? New doubts on Oxford/Astrazenca 90% efficacy. It seems it wasn't a planned trial of different dosages, but a mistake early in the trial. They only have 2000+ subjects with the "good" dosage and no elders.
So some doubt of the numbers. My conclusion is we need more data, it's everything too rushed, with all of them... Specially if the companies start FUDing around... There's simply not enough time to be sure of anything.

Hmmm, after not updating yesterday due to Thanksgiving, my state's COVID-19 website did a double update today.

It's actually kinda weird. COVID-19 hospitalizations not only fell over the last two days, they even revised the number from two days ago downward a bit.

I mean, there could still be a post-Thanksgiving spike, but it's strange that it suddenly stopped spiking. Maybe people just don't want to go to the hospital until after the holiday?

It's actually kinda weird. COVID-19 hospitalizations not only fell over the last two days, they even revised the number from two days ago downward a bit.

I mean, there could still be a post-Thanksgiving spike, but it's strange that it suddenly stopped spiking. Maybe people just don't want to go to the hospital until after the holiday?

I don't know about NC, but in some places statistics collecting is not the highest priority by those who can best do it, and in weekends and holidays (when not all staff is working, maybe missing part of clerical staff) the numbers are reported with some days delay.
Besides that, the family gatherings shouldn't affect statistics until 4-14 days have passed, since the infection takes some days to show symptoms, and without symptoms most people won't get tested.

The PCR tests are extremely unreliable:

Looks like there's a "sensibility setting" which can differ from countries to countries, e.g. tests are way more sensitive in France than Germany, meaning we have a lot more false positives in France.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of articles recently about famous people testing both positive and negative for COVID-19 at about the same time.

It's weird how inexact medical science is. You'd think it'd be impossible to detect COVID-19 that isn't there, but apparently not.

Reminds me of how DNA tests in court cases only need to match like 9 of 13 parts or something to be considered a match.

Well, I don't know about biology or anything. But i imagine that in order to be sick you have to have a virus, but you don't need to have it absolutely everywhere. If they take a sample from a location in your body where there's no virus, or too little of it, they might not find it even if you had a lot of virus somewhere else. I guess they know that and take the sample in the best possible way, but that's not obviously always error free. They can't put the whole of you into a machine, mince and mix you with reactives, cook and centrifugue the mix in different ways and look at the result to be sure they found the virus you might have hidden somewhere (or they could at most only postmortem). So finding such a small piece of biochemistry among a small sample of so many biochemical stuff from such a big biochemichal system as a person looks like a difficult problem to me. That's even if the PCR machinery was perfect and all copies of the virus identical and unmutated.
In the case of the rapid test, it's even harder to get precision. They're optimised for speed.

I understand the need for sensitivity, precision and speed all at once. I just can't imagine how they get even what they can get, let alone more.

I guess it's the same with lots of tests for lots of diseases. I've heard it's common practice for a doctor to repeat a test just to be sure it's correct, for serious diseases. The problem with COVID-19 (maybe not only it) is that there are so many asymptomatic cases where the only diagnostic hint is the test. In other diseases, symptoms, predisposition and different test combine to help diagnostic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back