Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Please stay safe, y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also "I read a scientific study yesterday that concluded you have a 30% chance of dying if you end up in a British hospital with Covid-19. That’s about the same overall mortality rate as for Ebola in 2014 in west Africa.”
Okay, that may be true, but I'll just note that an overall mortality rate is not the same as the number of people who present to hospital who die, given plenty of people who get coronavirus never go to hospital; they either get better or they die at home (the latter of which I expect mainly to be happening in care homes). By limiting the sample to people who end up in hospital, you're exaggerating the rate by comparing that to an overall mortality stat, which tries to count everyone who's tested positive and then died. In the UK, we still don't have a widespread testing regime for covid-19.

Edit: Maybe saying it's not widespread isn't using the right word. It is widespread, but just doesn't have the coverage across the industries. Only hospital workers and some older folks have been tested thus far.

Macron is exactly the same as Trump or Bolsonaro.
I don't think so. Macron has at least more brain cells left than Trump, for sure. I'm not french but I think he fits pretty well in his role as french President.
While true it's no reason to lower standards.
The entire world lowers it's standards, sadly. Populism, nationalism and right-extreme tendencies spread out more and more.

The US line is going to space
And the chinese line still looks way off. I would like to see their actual curve, not the "official" one.

5 months and a half after the first virus warning, 12 thermal cameras are finally deployed in France biggest airport.

France, a third-world country ruled by idiots.

yeah, this whole experience has made me rethink wanting to live around these parts... leader of the free world, in Covid-19 cases!

not that i'd be able to move anytime soon +o(:eek:o_O

I enjoy having a bit of freedom. I'm not looking forward to being locked in my house. Luckily where I live we are still allowed to roam freely while quarantining. In all supermarkets however we always need to carry a shopping cart because they're clumsy and apparently clumsiness works better against COVID-19 than taing care of the body. So buying waste that makes our body more vulnerable to disease like Coca Cola or pie is OK as long as we lug around a shopping cart to put it in.

I assume the idea is that the 2m/6ft separation rule can be helpfully defined additionally as more or less the distance between drivers of carts that are end to end against each other.

I assume the idea is that the 2m/6ft separation rule can be helpfully defined additionally as more or less the distance between drivers of carts that are end to end against each other.
The seperation rule says 1.5m and lugging a cart with us is not helpful. Virtually everyone here knows what meters are and no one is going to turn their cart like an idiot towards other people to try to use it as some kind of shield. No one is walking in lines either, we still all walk next to each other and we still gets close to each other. Just like toilet paper, shopping carts are not going to save anyone from Corona.

They've found lack of vitamin D correlates with COVID-19 mortality.
I could believe that. But I do not think that it's really COVID-19 specific. It's probably just because COVID-19 is one of the many diseases which mostly affect people with weak general health. Since a lack of sunlight weakens general health it increases the chance to get almost any disease. I see no reason why COVID-19 would be an exception to this rule.

It seems that the COVID-19 pandemic is just like flu season in that it kills off people who have not taken proper care of their bodies for a few decades. Sadly that includes a lot of people nowadays.

Having a good immune system isn't just about taking proper care of your body. There could be genetics or micro-biological reasons that makes your immune system weaker. There are also cases where the immune system is actually too strong and turns against his host (that's why it's a good thing many of the so-called "immune system booster" don't actually work).

And even this talk of "strong" vs "weak" immune system is oversimplifying things, some immune systems will be more adapted to some threats than others, some things that make you more resistant to a disease might prove detrimental in other aspects. For example, hemochromatosis causes your body to stock too much iron which, in the long term, damages your organs. However it also made people more resistant to the bubonic plague.

On top of this, I'm not too fond of blaming people for not taking care of their bodies. Nowadays, this is a luxury that many people cannot afford: decent housing, correct food, time to cook and exercise is sadly not an option for everyone.

Having a good immune system isn't just about taking proper care of your body. There could be genetics or micro-biological reasons that makes your immune system weaker. There are also cases where the immune system is actually too strong and turns against his host (that's why it's a good thing many of the so-called "immune system booster" don't actually work).
You really underestimate how big the difference between living on toxic waste and living on actual food is. It's not just about the immune system. The body is not compartmentalised like that. It's not like a computer where e.g. the battery could become weaker even while the harddrive keeps working perfectly. In the body everything is connected. If one organs gets weakened then a chain reaction starts that will weaken everything.

And auto-immune disease is not about the body having a too strong immune system. If that were the case then immune disease would be typical for raw fooders and fruitarians instead of for junk fooders. Yet the only guy I've seen with auto-immune disease only got it after living on toxic waste for years and while carrying loads of it in his body. So if auto-immune disease means having an immune system that's too strong then that means that his lifestyle of living on toxic waste and getting heavily overweight has strengthened his immune system.

And even this talk of "strong" vs "weak" immune system is oversimplifying things, some immune systems will be more adapted to some threats than others, some things that make you more resistant to a disease might prove detrimental in other aspects. For example, hemochromatosis causes your body to stock too much iron which, in the long term, damages your organs. However it also made people more resistant to the bubonic plague.
If you take good care of your body then your immune system can adapt to anything. If you weaken your body with toxic chemicals and put yourself on the brink of dying then COVID-19 might give that little extra push that you need to die. Same with flu. I'm not oversimplifying anything. Health just has a simple interface. Even animals do it right…unless they live with humans.

On top of this, I'm not too fond of blaming people for not taking care of their bodies. Nowadays, this is a luxury that many people cannot afford: decent housing, correct food, time to cook and exercise is sadly not an option for everyone.
I'm not blaming people for having bad health. I used to be ignorant about health and as a result I made myself sick and fat. It's definitely tough to get healthy nowadays, that's why almost no one succeeds. The fault lies with the fact that our society is designed for illness. Supermarket are filled with mostly toxic waste, doctors have no idea how health works and only works with toxic medication and symptom suppressing, McDonald's and Burger Kings are on every corner, winters often have little good fruit, etc.

There is a bright side though, at least time to cook is not an issue since the healthiest food happens to be raw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back