COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, we shoot the messenger? Or is this just a feeble attempt to censor news? - don't know the lady, btw. And don't have the time to meddle in national politics of foreign countries (except when they are about to invade us).
Not at all, no. She's just an unreliable narrator. That said there was a protest about vaccines over the weekend, they carried it on the TV news here, I just can't find a write-up on the BBC news website. It's probably on one of the other news websites somewhere though.

I'm not criticising you for posting it by the way, just advising you that she's a crank and you should avoid reading and posting her tweets in the forthcoming.

North Carolina just did its daily COVID-19 update today, and to sum up, we're screwed. We did get screwed more slowly than a lot of other places though, but yeah, we're there.

I'm kinda wondering what the status of boosters is. I remember some studies saying the mRNA vaccines could last for years, but Pfizer seems to dispute that.

0nqewo450yb71.jpg

this is super weird. Jesus himself compared his followers to sheep ("they know my voice") and suggested people to be like sheep rather than goats in how they treat others (Matthew 25:31+). goats are much more stubborn and hard headed, or so i'm told.

i think we could extend Matthew 25:35+ with some other similar thoughts. "You wore a mask and protected others from a deadly disease," seems more loving and others-focused than "You stuck it to the man and did whatever the heck you wanted, consequences be damned."

recently there was an anti-covid (punk) gig in shibuya, tokyo. many people got covid, presumably in the mosh pit they called the 'covid cluster'. I'm not sure if it was called that before hand or not. anyway I'm going to a garage punk all-day event at a pub in a few weeks time. it's gonna be full of old dudes. I'm gonna test my vaccine.

this is super weird. Jesus himself compared his followers to sheep ("they know my voice") and suggested people to be like sheep rather than goats in how they treat others (Matthew 25:31+). goats are much more stubborn and hard headed, or so i'm told.

i think we could extend Matthew 25:35+ with some other similar thoughts. "You wore a mask and protected others from a deadly disease," seems more loving and others-focused than "You stuck it to the man and did whatever the heck you wanted, consequences be damned."
I think the people who look down upon "sheep" compare themselves to wolves rather than goats. Using a completely outdated view of wolves.

That "wolves vs sheep" metaphor is touted by some right-wing talking heads because it pushes people to a more individualistic approach, dividing the masses so that they won't unite against the rich and mighty of the world. Sheep join unions, wolves prey on their weaker colleagues.

Yeah, I thought about that too. Kind of ironic.

"You wore a mask and protected others from a deadly disease," seems more loving and others-focused than "You stuck it to the man and did whatever the heck you wanted, consequences be damned."
That is true but it is also completely irrelevant because no one thinks like the second quote. The people who are anti-measures care very much about the consequences. The consequences of destroying the economy, ruining lives, installing an Orwellian regime, mandating vaccines, etc. It seems that you greatly misunderstand where they are coming from.

To be fair, they probably would chalk this up to CoViD-19. Especially if he tested CoViD-19 positive during the last 30 days.

I think the people who look down upon "sheep" compare themselves to wolves rather than goats. Using a completely outdated view of wolves.
Yeah, but written on all of the (visible) legs of that sheep have matthew 24 (I think) written on them. Perhaps the mask and the writing on the side were added afterwards though.

Incidentally, doing a bing image search for 'Don't be a sheep inflatable' gets you some very odd inflatables indeed.

I've noticed that COVID-19 deaths in the United States aren't rising as fast as cases. It does take some time to die of COVID-19, and the rise in cases started less than a month ago, but I still feel like Delta isn't as deadly as hyped, just more infectious.

There's also the fact you still have a decent chance of being infected with delta covid-19 if you exposed to it, it's just the outcomes aren't as severe as you likely ending up in hospital, assuming you start out fit. It's not clear yet what the longer term outcomes due to long covid are in this situation though, so that could still be bad.

Typing “Moderna Chief Medical Officer” into DDG produces this as one of the top results:

At one minute in, Zaks states, “In every cell there’s this thing called messenger RNA or mRNA for short, that transmits the critical information from the DNA in our genes to the protein, which is really the stuff we’re all made out of. This is the critical information that determines what the cell will do. So we think about it as an operating system. …. So if you could actually change that, … if you could introduce a line of code, or change a line of code, it turns out, that has profound implications for everything, from the flu to cancer.”

What he's saying there is that you don't need to alter DNA to get human cells to generate virus proteins (but not the whole virus) so that your body can learn what the virus looks like. You spike the cell with mRNA and that's enough to get the cell machinery to produce viral proteins.

That article misses that point and goes off assuming it does edit your DNA in a heritable fashion, when he clearly never says it does that.

Matthew 24.4 itself "Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you." But he's specifically talking about other people claiming to be him, so that's taking it pretty far out of context.

I agree, but as a non/anti-christian my understanding is that if you don't sin Jesus died for nothing. That's basically a license to be a selfish prick, then ask for forgiveness. Where I live there are a lot of asshole christians. Luckily, at the gas station earlier we met a nice one who didn't mind that our dog was barking at her. Turns out her husband died from covid in January, and all she had left is her dog. She hugged my wife as they shared stories of lost family members and pets. I wish most of the local christians were like that, and not the kind that want to fight you for believing something different (or for not going to church, as happened not far away 20 something years ago when I was in HS).

That "wolves vs sheep" metaphor is touted by some right-wing talking heads because it pushes people to a more individualistic approach, dividing the masses so that they won't unite against the rich and mighty of the world. Sheep join unions, wolves prey on their weaker colleagues.
Actually, many right wingers claim to be "sheep dogs" which means they should be protecting the sheep from the wolves (why else would they need so many guns and armor), but they still seem to look down on the sheep, so maybe it is only in my circles that this is the case. For a further first hand account see what I said just above.

I could get into discussing Black Lives Matter here, but I am already disgusted by what I have seen related to covid in this thread...
That is true but it is also completely irrelevant because no one thinks like the second quote. The people who are anti-measures care very much about the consequences. The consequences of destroying the economy, ruining lives, installing an Orwellian regime, mandating vaccines, etc. It seems that you greatly misunderstand where they are coming from.
You are so full of shit. You posted a blow up sheep with a mask, and have bragged about how you don't wear a mask. The mask is for others, not you, and even if they don't work, which statistics show they do, by merely wearing one you would show that you are trying to help prevent the spread of covid so that it doesn't have an impact on the economy, people's lives, etc. Instead you look like a douchebag, at least to us here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back