COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.

On a much more scientific basis than those three articles, I'd say that 100% of the simpletons are simpletons.

Last edited:
I expect that people will be practically forced to take vaccines
Yes. I feel forced.
not taking a vaccine is a gift to others who can use the dose
No. The government has a plan, decides who should get the (limited) vaccine when, and by rejecting you are going against it. Even if it's not the government you voted for, sabotaging the initiative is wrong. That said, I haven't decided if I'll actually show up for my jab this Thursday.

And I'm less worried about the government of the country I live in acting capriciously, more the EU. The EU have a well established track record of being assholes.

No. The government has a plan, decides who should get the (limited) vaccine when, and by rejecting you are going against it. Even if it's not the government you voted for, sabotaging the initiative is wrong. That said, I haven't decided if I'll actually show up for my jab this Thursday.
Well, I haven't been offered vaccine by the government here, but as I understand it, the government plan is not to force people to take it. The government plan is to offer it to whoever they want and can at every moment. They want to offer to those more at risk, basically, with criteria they can handle, so it boils down to medical personnel (+ some notion of essential workers) and age groups more or less.
If the citizen says no, that's not sabotage, that's just information that the government can give the dose to someone else. Then I'm not sure what's the plan if that same citizen at a later time decides to take the vaccine. Maybe they give it or there's some (long?) wait time or...
There can be a lot of reasons to say no. Maybe you want the vaccine but you don't want to sign the document they have you sign. Maybe you want to move elsewhere in a few weeks and prefer to have both doses there...
Maybe you want to wait until they can ensure they'll give you the second dose at the delay tested in the trials and not some improvised plan with expert input but no trial yet...
I've only known of fines for not taking vaccines in Galiza, stated but not used yet, and I believe the law is still contested in the courts.

Sabotage would be something like I heard happened in Israel, where citizens who had an appointment didn't show up and they had to destroy vaccine doses because they were too long outside freezers or something.
But as long as you don't agree to an appointment or you cancel it soon enough that they can call someone else you're not sabotaging anything (beyond your own health, depending on your own opinion).
Now, if you're just undecided and prefer to think you're forced, to untie the decision, then I'd better say nothing.
But I don't know your situation in your place with your government, maybe you should ask before doing something if you really feel forced. At least confirm you are forced to do it, if you really don't want to do it.

I think the difference is in whether you think the government plan is offering vaccines or vaccinating. Rejecting a recommendation is not rejecting an order (and then there're the ethics of governments ordering people to take drugs, which one would have to consider when considering the ethics of citizens refusing government orders). From what I heard from people vaccinating there's a consent paper people have to sign. That proofs it's not an obligation, because then the signature would be invalid (not freely given).

In any case, if you can't decide what to do this weekend, then just go and take the vaccine, it won't kill you more than anyone else, and cancelling an appointment hours before the fact is quite unpolite.

In Netherlands our discussion of laws shifted from "You will be able to show a covid-negative test" to: you will have a proof-of-vaccination. Your business may open in one of those modes, but the minister said that people that only have a covid-negative test will have some restrictions; like opening up later in the season, or having reduced customers or personnel.
For students going to school it will be the same. covid-negative will be valid for 3 days, so you need to test yourself twice a week, or... take the vaccine and be done with it.

Now, if you are not only anti-covidvaccine but also anti-pcr-test, then you just will be excluded from venues.

If the citizen says no, that's not sabotage, that's just information that the government can give the dose to someone else. Then I'm not sure what's the plan if that same citizen at a later time decides to take the vaccine. Maybe they give it or there's some (long?) wait time or...
There can be a lot of reasons to say no. Maybe you want the vaccine but you don't want to sign the document they have you sign. Maybe you want to move elsewhere in a few weeks and prefer to have both doses there...
Maybe you want to wait until they can ensure they'll give you the second dose at the delay tested in the trials and not some improvised plan with expert input but no trial yet...
I've only known of fines for not taking vaccines in Galiza, stated but not used yet, and I believe the law is still contested in the courts.

Sabotage would be something like I heard happened in Israel, where citizens who had an appointment didn't show up and they had to destroy vaccine doses because they were too long outside freezers or something.
But as long as you don't agree to an appointment or you cancel it soon enough that they can call someone else you're not sabotaging anything (beyond your own health, depending on your own opinion).
Now, if you're just undecided and prefer to think you're forced, to untie the decision, then I'd better say nothing.
But I don't know your situation in your place with your government, maybe you should ask before doing something if you really feel forced. At least confirm you are forced to do it, if you really don't want to do it.

I think the difference is in whether you think the government plan is offering vaccines or vaccinating. Rejecting a recommendation is not rejecting an order (and then there're the ethics of governments ordering people to take drugs, which one would have to consider when considering the ethics of citizens refusing government orders). From what I heard from people vaccinating there's a consent paper people have to sign. That proofs it's not an obligation, because then the signature would be invalid (not freely given).

In any case, if you can't decide what to do this weekend, then just go and take the vaccine, it won't kill you more than anyone else, and cancelling an appointment hours before the fact is quite unpolite.
Yeah, some older folks I know couldn't take up the vaccine when they were offered it because they were ill at the time. They got put to the back of the queue and offered again when all of their age bracket cohorts had been done. But now they've had more time to set up the system and the ages being vaccinated have come down, they now send you a link by text (not the most secure method, but I did enough housekeeping to prove to myself it was actually genuine) and you book an appointment on that website. Presumably the right way to refuse a vaccine is to not follow the link, whereas if you have actually booked a vaccine it's only polite to follow through and actually go. I assume if I hadn't been prompt in booking my slot, they'd have resent the text.

Good news. A study says that highly dense urban areas are not more susceptible to COVID-19. They base this on information from everyone's favorite metropolis, Tehran.

Yeah, but people who own a car and have college education are more likely to not be working class. They say that people's income doesn't seem to correlate with their risk of covid, but maybe it's not about income, it's about what you do with your time.

And I'm less worried about the government of the country I live in acting capriciously, more the EU. The EU have a well established track record of being assholes.
If your “government” is the recently ex-EU member that is nothing but a rogue state, then you should be far more worried about them than about the other 27 governments that now make up the EU...

I know Wally will delete political stuff unless I put it here. I was just wondering, does anyone know why US cities are preparing for mass protests after Chauvin's trial? I haven't been following it, but he seems likely to get the highest charge to me.

I know Wally will delete political stuff unless I put it here. I was just wondering, does anyone know why US cities are preparing for mass protests after Chauvin's trial? I haven't been following it, but he seems likely to get the highest charge to me.
You sure it's the trial that's the trigger? I'd have thought it's the daily video diet of police shooting black kids that's the salient point at the moment re: protests.

Governments are phony.
Take a look at the bankers family instead.
Fine the puppet regime.
If the citizen says no, that's not sabotage
It's only our right to decline a vaccine because the numbers of people doing so are small.
Still believe in the governments dudes ?
I'm not a government denier. But it should be replaced by a shell script.
it's only polite to follow through and actually go
I agree I should. I'm not entirely convinced and just a bit scared.
nothing but a rogue state
Mis-managed. Should never have joined.

Oh man, Bill Maher says obesity is the number one reason America can't handle COVID-19, and he says the media isn't doing enough to highlight the fact that obesity is preventable.

This is the part where I make an excuse for myself. All medication makes you fat, no exceptions. If there were an exception, we would all be on that medication. I guess I could stop taking medications, but my subsidized apartment complex has the right to kick me out in that event.

he says the media isn't doing enough to highlight the fact that obesity is preventable.
It is not preventable in the USA. EVERYTHING has sugar in it and it will stay that way due to your powerful food lobbies. When thirsty, you get a "large" whatever and that's enough for an asian familty; really. The food you have is NOT healthy. Even your apples contain more sugar than 100 years ago. Here in Europe we have healty alternatives. And there are in the USA, however, those are pricey. So for a dollar you get FA(s)T-Food, and for 8 you get healthy food. Well, most will go for the cheaper alternative. And JDTAY, you are stuck with your dorm's food, so that's what you are getting. The only other alternative is exercize like you need to outrun a velociraptor in the near future. Now go and run, run, run!

And let go of the carbs... no more bread/pizza/pasta...
feelgood link

meanwhile I stare at my rucola with brie and raw organic cracker

Last edited:
Go out and let the sun on your skin. It's still too cold for my taste, but it should be healthy.
A new study argues that the UVA rays make your skin produce nitric oxide which affects your cardiovascular system and metabolism, which reduces COVID-19, but also makes SARS-CoV-2 replication more difficult, so that gives a 30% lower mortality risk ratio.
And that's discounting any effect UVB rays may have (they cause the skin to produce vitamin D which others studies say that can help).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back