Corn N64 Emulator Mystery

Emu&Co

Website
dreimer.de.vu
Already asked for this in craig's Post about finding Derek.

I start this because I want to know if anybody else can find out more than I was able to.

ContraSF was the main coder of the legendary N64 Emulator "Corn", which was able to run some N64 games @ Fullspeed on a 166 MHz machine. So this could help us in N64 Emulation on GP2X

After a prerelease of his emulator was leaked and made public by the Author of emuhq.com he disappered and nobody did hear anything from him for about 5 years now.

I tried contacting him on his old emuhq E-Mail address, but it seems to be dead. His Homepage can be found on archive.org.

If somebody can get contact to ContraSF for me, I'll give him 30€.

P.S. I said in craig's post, it was a joke by me asking for this. But after sleeping over it I decided to try the same craig does. So this Post is meant SERIOUS.

Didn't Corn use the FPU/MMX/SSE and your 3D card to get big speedups? We don't have any of those on the GP2X.

Squidge posted on Feb 5 2006 at 02:51 PM said:
Didn't Corn use the FPU/MMX/SSE and your 3D card to get big speedups? We don't have any of those on the GP2X.
Yes, I think that is true.
===
Hey I have a better Idea can't we go after other famous celebratorys that are thought to be dead: Elvis Presley, John Lennon?

Last edited by a moderator:
nickspoon posted on Feb 5 2006 at 09:47 AM said:
I saw Elvis yesterday at I even had tea with him. Can I claim my reward now?

Damnit nickspoon... I put up the "$25 for anyone who has tea with Elvis" reward, not thinking it would actually happen... Just send me your paypal info and I'll get it to you ASAP :angry:

Emu&Co posted on Feb 5 2006 at 07:53 AM said:
Already asked for this in craig's Post about finding Derek.

I start this because I want to know if anybody else can find out more than I was able to.

ContraSF was the main coder of the legendary N64 Emulator "Corn", which was able to run some N64 games @ Fullspeed on a 166 MHz machine. So this could help us in N64 Emulation on GP2X

After a prerelease of his emulator was leaked and made public by the Author of emuhq.com he disappered and nobody did hear anything from him for about 5 years now.

I tried contacting him on his old emuhq E-Mail address, but it seems to be dead. His Homepage can be found on archive.org.

If somebody can get contact to ContraSF for me, I'll give him 30€.

P.S. I said in craig's post, it was a joke by me asking for this. But after sleeping over it I decided to try the same craig does. So this Post is meant SERIOUS.

I've searched a lot. I hope someone claims that reward, because I'd like to have a chat with him.

The only thing I can say is that it seemed from an interview I found that he was REALLY into emulation. So I doubt he would've left the circles completely.

Squidge posted on Feb 5 2006 at 08:51 AM said:

True, but maybe he also did some things that sped it up that was completely software that we were unaware of.

reaper79 posted on Feb 5 2006 at 04:56 PM said:
nickspoon posted on Feb 5 2006 at 09:47 AM said:
I saw Elvis yesterday at I even had tea with him. Can I claim my reward now?

Damnit nickspoon... I put up the "$25 for anyone who has tea with Elvis" reward, not thinking it would actually happen... Just send me your paypal info and I'll get it to you ASAP :angry:

Ah, crap, met him a week ago, had coffee. :(

Squidge posted on Feb 5 2006 at 02:51 PM said:

FPU, perhaps. SSE was not in use and MMX was optional. I used it on a old Pentium 166 MHz, so no MMX needed.

In an interview with him in 1999 he said he was Chinese and currently studying in America. That was 7 years ago (scary!), so he will probably be back in China now.

Maybe it would be worth getting in touch with some of the people that helped him translate corn to different languages?

Javacat posted on Feb 5 2006 at 07:18 PM said:
In an interview with him in 1999 he said he was Chinese and currently studying in America. That was 7 years ago (scary!), so he will probably be back in China now.
Very interesting. Especially :
"3. What are the main reasons Corn performs very fast?

I am writing a long analysis on the speed issue. Itwill be posted soon.
"
I'd like to know if this article was posted, and if yes, where can we get it ?

Btw I'm not generally so pessimistic, but if nobody heard about him since six years I would guess that something bad happened ... Because ContraSF said, in this interview : "(...)Then, gradually I became anemulation fan." If he was really such an emulation fan he could'nt have quit the scene like that, unless some very big issues happened.
Well, anyway, I would be really glad to be proved wrong :)

I have to say, whats the point with this emulator?

Being an N64 owner & fan, I can see the logic as it was/is a great games machine, but the ANALOGUE joystick is so instrumental to the playability of games.

IMHO games would be pretty much unplayable with a standard dpad/joystick.

Phil

Can the owner of an E-Mail be found out? If yes, does this work with dead ones, too? pdw709, I played almost all N64 Games I played ever on a Emulator with a DPad. It worked very well.

Emu&Co posted on Feb 5 2006 at 03:19 PM said:
Can the owner of an E-Mail be found out? If yes, does this work with dead ones, too? pdw709, I played almost all N64 Games I played ever on a Emulator with a DPad. It worked very well.

I'll second that. Absolutely no problem with a Dpad through current N64 emulators.

reaper79 posted on Feb 5 2006 at 09:30 PM said:
Emu&Co posted on Feb 5 2006 at 03:19 PM said:

I'll second that. Absolutely no problem with a Dpad through current N64 emulators.
As a big fan of the N64, playing with a real N64 pad is way better than on a simple pad.

Emu&Co posted on Feb 5 2006 at 09:19 PM said:

I have also "played" with an N64 emulator and found the experiance wanting. Yes the games play, but you loose an awful lot. Personally I feel the games play better on the original hardware. The GP2X is a great machine, and I for one will be using to it emulate 8/16 bit hardware. If I want to experiance Goldeneye or Mario64 then I would prefere to fire up the old cartridges.....

Phil

Some games work fine with a d-pad instead of analog, but others definately need the analog stick. I bought an N64 controller to USB connector for that reason.

pdw709 posted on Feb 5 2006 at 09:05 PM said:
Being an N64 owner & fan, I can see the logic as it was/is a great games machine, but the ANALOGUE joystick is so instrumental to the playability of games.

IMHO games would be pretty much unplayable with a standard dpad/joystick.

I've played a lot of the N64 classics on the PC with just a standard keyboard, so I'd have to disagree here. Never had a problem being analogue-less. Of course I'd prefer an analogue joystick, but I'm fine with a keyboard.

I have also "played" with an N64 emulator and found the experiance wanting. Yes the games play, but you loose an awful lot. Personally I feel the games play better on the original hardware. The GP2X is a great machine, and I for one will be using to it emulate 8/16 bit hardware. If I want to experiance Goldeneye or Mario64 then I would prefere to fire up the old cartridges.....
Phil

Try carrying a N64, a TV, several cartridges and a portable AC power source in your pocket. Try playing that at school during a boring lesson. It doesn't work to well, does it?

i think the most important reason to contact him wouldn't be to have him port his n64 emulator to the gp2x, but to take a look at the system and see if he's interested in helping in any of our projects

So, is Static recompilation likely to be one of the things he implemented to get the speed he achieved?
As that is what he mentioned.

Back