Cool accessory for UK pandora users

Edglex

I don't know about you, but the size of the UK plugs really gets to me, and I've often thought it would be simple to make the pins fold down so they don't get in the way whenever you're packing up your laptop or whatever.

It never occurred to me that someone might have done it already though!

Well, I did a search and now I've got one of these folding plugs from maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/slimplug-compact-figure-of-eight-power-lead-99603

This means I can fit the pandora and power supply into my old GBA carry case, which is only slightly bigger than the official case!

WIN! :D

Also, this apparently should be available soon

https://www.youtube.com/embed/f6DvjKkGT6s?feature=oembed

EDIT: Actually, that design apparently does not meet safety standards. Boo.

EDIT: Just saw this: http://www.thinplug.com/

Not as elegant though, IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen this design come and go for a few years now, there is obviously something major in the way of it going mainstream, however I really like the idea.

Wow, I feel sorry for you guys. The NA plugs are smaller than that even when they're unfolded, and you can still plug them into your British sockets via really small adapters. They must defy your plug safety standards, but hey, I'm still alive, and I haven't started any fires, either ;)

Wow, I feel sorry for you guys. The NA plugs are smaller than that even when they're unfolded, and you can still plug them into your British sockets via really small adapters. They must defy your plug safety standards, but hey, I'm still alive, and I haven't started any fires, either ;)

Yeah, it really sucks.

That adapter isn't for a UK socket though... over here there are covers over the two main holes that only open when the third (earth) pin is inserted, so you need three pins. Though I've discovered from some non-english friends that you can actually get european plugs in by jamming something in the earth hole to open the covers and forcing the plug in - the pins stretch apart a little, but it works. This isn't really recommended though... not exactly safe!

Though I've discovered from some non-english friends that you can actually get european plugs in by jamming something in the earth hole to open the covers and forcing the plug in - the pins stretch apart a little, but it works. This isn't really recommended though... not exactly safe!
Wind the clock back to the 70's and my brothers used to do that, but they would force the earth cover down with a screw driver and push the bare wires into the live and neutral sockets! All for the sake of actually fitting a plug!

Oh, and I by no way condone what they used to do, how neither of them ended up winning a Darwin Award is beyond me. That, trying to shoot a 2pence piece out of the others hand with an air rifle equipped with a dodgy telescopic sight, climbing in through their slim bedroom window (any UK people here who remember the 70's top openers which were about 10" high, but 6' long? Those) while drunk, charging a damaged car battery IN THEIR BEDROOM while they slept overnight (I can still smell the fumes after 30 years!)... the list goes on.

Suffice to say, we have 3 pins on our plugs for a reason, better to not try and by-pass it!

Also, for our US friends, our plugs have an internal fuse fitted which is deemed necessary as we use 240 volt mains, that's another reason our plugs are so big.

i like the reasoning of the last american i talked to about plugs 'if you trip over a us cable the plug safely comes out of the outlet'

i never understood that, personally i'd rather trip on a cable than turn off whatevers atached to it in that manner XD

I think he meant rather than either pull the cord out from the device end (potentially breaking the power supply) or pull the device down from a table or something.

I think he meant rather than either pull the cord out from the device end (potentially breaking the power supply) or pull the device down from a table or something.
No this is America we're talking about, he obviously meant that if it didn't come cleanly out of the wall, you'd trip over and be able to sue every man and his dog for personal injury.

I like our 240volt big plug wiring.
I have to say that I feel safer with our 3 pin plugs that with any kind of US plugs. Whenever I go there the plug always feel loose and look dangerous in the sockets. But if you're on such low voltage, it doesn't matter quite so much.

And WTF do you use 500V at home for Craig?

But if you're on such low voltage, it doesn't matter quite so much.

voltage isn't the problem, it's the current, not sure if us mains rings will pump out the 50A or so ours will

i'm guessing either full machine shop, or server farm, possibly just happened to have it installed when craig moved in

But if you're on such low voltage, it doesn't matter quite so much.

voltage isn't the problem, it's the current, not sure if us mains rings will pump out the 50A or so ours will

i'm guessing either full machine shop, or server farm, possibly just happened to have it installed when craig moved in

I thought 100A was the UK standard for connections now? Certainly handy for electric cars! We accidentally built a good infrastructure for them.

3-Phase was already here, it's a big building with no gas supply, 3 fuses boxes + 3 phase - it can push 50Kwh, bloody hell.

However, looks for for our own injection moulding machine :)

maybe it's 100, last thing i did any wiring on was a rather old cottage, it's a rather high current anyhoo, must be expecting us to all get 3KW gaming rigs :D

Most fuses/breakers are rated for 15 amps, sometimes 20. If you've had the right wiring installed you can use a 30A for things that need more power such as stoves and driers.

What exactly do you guys do that needs so much power? O_O

:) for my household, servers and gaming rigs, just to be safe i'm running my monitors on 1 fuse and the pc and sound system on another, lights flicker if we turn more than 2 computers on at once...
:eek:

Question 2: WTF? My desktop running whole hog doesn't use more than 4 or 5 amps. How are 2 of yours consuming enough to make the lights flicker?

When i turn on my one computer the lights flicker B) . I don't think its cause my machine is espescially power hungry or any thing but it started to do that when i added a second monitor, but that monitor is one of those giant old ones (rear projection?). And the lights only flicker in that room so its not awful :p

Back