Connector Layout Opinions

Connectors for front and back

• Change nothing, the pictures are fine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Move SD cards to front, move DC Jack and USB to the back

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Vimacs said:
Why should we have the volume control at the side at all? Just put it on the inner side so its protected when the unit is closed.
I think some people might be planning to use it as an mp3 player? To be honest I don't know why you would use it for that given the alternatives, so maybe this is a much better idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
But under what situation would one use the machine in the closed position when not listening music?

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, but it's also an interesting catch 22 situation!

Edit: I'm not sure if I made sense. What I am saying is, that if the volume is likely to get changed when in the pocket, you will only care if you are listening to music at the time. So lets put the volume slider on the inside, but it needs to be on the outside for adecuate listening of music, so lets put it on the outside, but it will get knocked....etc etc!

teggun said:
I think some people might be planning to use it as an mp3 player? To be honest I don't know why you would use it for that given the alternatives, so maybe this is a much better idea?
I would *love* to use it as an mp3-player but especially as a live stream radio player. Think of this scenario, First you download your favorite podcast with Pandora and than listen to it without transferring it to another device so it would be nice to be able to close the p-box and use the volume control.
So I hope the volume control stays on the outside and we can use all functionalities with the box closed.

Can I suggest that the slider (or wheel - as I say, I'm easy on the end result) have a click-lock built into it, or would that push the price up? By which I mean, once you get the volume right, you press the slider, and it locks to it's current position. Press it again, and it unlocks.

Not quite sure how you'd do that, though...

dontspam said:
Edit: I'm not sure if I made sense. What I am saying is, that if the volume is likely to get changed when in the pocket, you will only care if you are listening to music at the time. So lets put the volume slider on the inside, but it needs to be on the outside for adecuate listening of music, so lets put it on the outside, but it will get knocked....etc etc!
So just flip it open a bit inside your pocket and change it there? or get headphones with a in-cord volume thingee?

MWeston said:
Space isn't a problem whether it is on the front or the back. Also, it seems better to keep it a cable that everyone has already, maybe even with their GP2X collection already.

external harddrives are often mini-usb, så we need a "mini-usb to mini-usb" if are gonna use those.

How about one mini-usb (slave) and one normal seized?

cowai said:
external harddrives are often mini-usb, så we need a "mini-usb to mini-usb" if are gonna use those.

In that case, why not just use the usb host connector at the rear? That's full size usb a to mini-usb via suitable cable.

Squidge said:
As long as the volume slider is indented slightly, like it is on the NDS, then it shouldn't be a problem. Volume dials would look cheap imo.
Not if the Wheel is thick enough, made out of Metal and hard to spin. ;)

(I hope, every Gaming Button and the ControlPads will be made out of Metal. :) )

All connectors, will have to be in one end, all memory slots, in the other, for a obvious reason. I cant believe nobody pointed this out, so someone probably did, i just didn't see it.

Any kind of docking device needs to attach to one side, while leaving the memory slots accessible.

Its that simple.
To make it possible to open the device, the docking has to be done on any side other then the rear. So pick one.

On the the other topic, volume thingy.. Hardware controls have been requested, so thats what we get. Hopefully they think about pockets when they design it, and not so much that the dial might move, but the fact that there are lint and stuff in pockets. A slider don't handle that to well, so it has to be kept out. A wheel doesn't care as much about the lint in it self, but its great at bringing it in, so the wheel pretty much must be mounted so what ever goes in, goes out.
Pretty much every walkman made b4 the cd & mp3 player had a hardware volume control, and they all used a wheel. It never was a big issue with them changing the setting. This is a "non-issue" in reality. There are problems enough with this device as it is. I would like a method to lock the wheel / slider, but i doubt its needed.
B!

Squidge said:
cowai said:

In that case, why not just use the usb host connector at the rear? That's full size usb a to mini-usb via suitable cable.

Brilliant.

MWeston: How about it?

fusion_power said:
Not if the Wheel is thick enough, made out of Metal and hard to spin. ;)

(I hope, every Gaming Button and the ControlPads will be made out of Metal. :) )
Does the metal needs to be a certain amount of carats? :)

cowai said:
Squidge said:
Brilliant.

MWeston: How about it?

How about what? The console already has it :)

Does the metal needs to be a certain amount of carats? :)

Only a certain amount of Chrome:

volumewheelet2.png

;)

pandora said:
zaffercharles said:
I voted slider because I thought it would be less likely to change vol in a pocket...
same here

and, like teggun, I also think things would be much less awkward if usb, power etc were at the back of the unit

Well actually they are both as likely to move while in a pocket. The difference is that a slider will change more volume than a wheel would for the same amount of movement because they are more touchy. So this case a slider is worse for in pocket use.

Something that nobody has pointed out yet is that a slider takes up (more or less) three times as much room as a pot for a given resistance range, which makes the case that much more crowded. I say that the pot should be in a shallow indent on the side. Yes, it will be under your hand while you are holding it, but that pressure won't budge it much at all.

Don't use mechanical parts, that are the first parts that will be broken.
Everybody can buy for less money a volume controlled headset/earphones.

Both SD slots in front and the cable connectors in the back. Lots of cables hanging from the front would just be in the way.

I would prefer a volume wheel simply because a slider would make small volume adjustments a bit tricky. The range on a slider is much shorter than on a wheel. So you get a ketchup effect and end up moving the slider back and forth several times before you get it right.

DeadlyDad said:
Something that nobody has pointed out yet is that a slider takes up (more or less) three times as much room as a pot for a given resistance range, which makes the case that much more crowded. I say that the pot should be in a shallow indent on the side. Yes, it will be under your hand while you are holding it, but that pressure won't budge it much at all.
No one has mentioned that ? ORLY :p ;)
DaveC said:
Sliders have to be log because a slider just doesn't have the range. The resistive strip is much shorter in a slider. To go from no sound to full sound in such a short distance requires that. This means too that dust and dirt (and wear) will adversely effect the slider much worse than the wheel. I would want a linear wheel, no slider.

The typical slider gives 6 mm of range (look at DS lite). A typical wheel has a resistive strip of 6 mm diameter. 3.1415 x 6 = about 19 mm of range - around 2 as the strip is not a complete circle gives around 17mm. MUCH better.

jens.l said:
Not everyone uses headphones you know ;) What about when we use the built-in speakers :rolleyes:

[/quote]
Not everyone uses headphones you know ;) What about when we use the built-in speakers :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Maybe with the software or on the touchscreen. I don't think that the speaker will produce HIFI sound.

Jens

I'd definitely prefer a wheel, for control reasons (higher resolution of movement to volume change), but I don't really care very much.

DC on the back, though. And if possible, A/V on the back, too. I don't mind the headphone going on the back, if it has to move with the A/V. And how can we miss the chance to please Jaqm? :)

Back