Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Move SD cards to front, move DC Jack and USB to the back

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

MWeston

Internal Development
Website
openpandora.ca
Just another poll to get feedback on what the optimal connector placement and type would be. Feel free to elaborate on your decision here. Thanks!

Voted move sd cards to the front and dc jack and USB to the back. Because the screen hangs over the back of the device there is more room for a dc cable or a usb key.
I chose a thumb wheel, but that's not really important imo. The build quality is more important. Choose whatever last longest and doesn't break easy.

I chose SD card slots on the back, connectors on the front because it works really well on the Zodiac.

I prefer a volume wheel to a slider because I find it easier to make fine adjustments on a wheel. Normally I just want to make the sound a little bit louder or a little bit quieter and don't really care where in the total volume range that is.

I'd like to point out that if the design switches to using a rotary volume dial, we will also likely need a HOLD switch so that the volume doesn't go changing on its own when bouncing around in your pocket, that's why I've voted in favour of keeping the horizontal switch which is less likely to move on its own. Dial+ HOLD switch could be even better, but its more buttons/clutter.

A hold switch won't do anything for the volume. The people of this forum wanted a hardware controlled volume dial which is what they got. :) You can create a software limit to the peaks going to the DAC, but once they hit the audio circuitry, it's all analog control.

I think that if your going to do any development on this, your going to want it on your desk with the PSU plugged into it. It's not going to be too practical looping the cables all the way around to the front - far more practical to be at the back.

So, leave headphone jack where it is, and move the DC and USB connections to the rear. I know there's no room for that, so move the sd card connections to either the front or the side/s.

As for the volume, its fine as it is, as long as it's indented slightly so it isn't changed as you put it in your bag or whatever (like the NDS)

Well, for all the obvious reasons (the ones that have already been argued), I too feel that having the DC and TV connectors moved to the back and the SD slots to the front is a good idea, if feasible. However, it's not THAT crucial to me.

I would have a wheel for the volume, because it seems to me that sliders are prone to dropping off units when a tiny bit too much pressure is applied in one direction or another.

Julius said:
I agree with Squidge, but loose that microusb port in the process and replace it with two normal ones (two in total I mean).
It's an OTG port with host/slave capabilities. I can't change that or you can't hook Pandora to your PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about making the OTG port into a micro port to save space. My zen vision m 60gb has an OTG micro port, but with a small dongle that converts from micro to full size usb.

Space isn't a problem whether it is on the front or the back. Also, it seems better to keep it a cable that everyone has already, maybe even with their GP2X collection already.

In that case, everything to the back apart from Headphones, volume control and on/off switch. If you run out of space on the back then I suppose the on/off could go on the side like the ds.

Will we be given that cable with the Pandora? I don't have one already :(

I think that connectors on the back would be way more usable, cables at the front tend to get in the way.

Furthermore sd cards in the front are also a big + when you have it hooked up to your pc/tv cause they are easier to swap then.

If you are going for two sd slots, which i think is kinda senseless, it would also allow for a design that would make everyone happy: have one sd slot at the back and one at the front.

Reading through the omap specs i would however prefer to have just one sd slot and a pcmcia slot instead of the 2nd one, it could allow for thigs like modems/umts, huge flash discs or even a good soundcard.

Considering the total movement area a wheel would obviously be better as it allows for a bigger movement area so you can adjust the volume in smaller steps, this conclusion is also backed by the ds where i find it hard to adjust volume in the low range when being in a quite environment.

Keep it the same size usb as the gp2x, and virtually every other usb peripheral I have uses the same connector (card reader, phone, sat nav) so its clearly the most popular. Plus don't forget this port is for hooking up to your PC as well, and you don't want a full size USB B connector.

For those unsure of USB connections, here's some pictures:

USB A Socket:
vlcc088b.jpg

USB B Socket:
vlcc089b.jpg

and don't forget the "connect anything to anything" USB turtle!
ppadusbupa.jpg

Seems, that most people prefer a Volume Slider. :(
Not good for an Device also designed for Pocket-Use. Many people want to hear Music with the Pandora to, I think a fragile Slider is to easy moved especially in pockets. A Volume Wheel could be more pocket-proof and it also could contain dots or Numbers where you can see the current volume level instant. :) (The wheel should be at least 5-8mm thick)
I think a Slider is not good enough for Fine tuning...and after A Year or so maybe he moves by just shaking the Handheld. :lol:

The rest of the connectors seems to be fine. But for Vertical usage (Music Player) the Pandora needs an 2. Earphone jack at the right small side, so the Earphones are plugged in on top in Vertical mode (iPod like). Shouldn't be to expencive. :)

before to vote, is a dock station are planed ?
An ext plug with RGB video out and Digital audio out ? (for HQ pmp function :) )

I voted for the volume dial due to precision of adjustment. If not at least make sure its a log scale, but guess you did already:)

Probably best to keep the sides free since this is where your hands will be on the controllers. I'd vote for SD and power and volume dial on front and everything else on the back. Don't want power and headphone wires to get in the way.

I like hardware audio controls but, as raised, accidental changes chould be an issue. Perhaps its possible to have the volume dial/slider and power switch inside somehow, so its protected when the clamshell is closed? Then you can listen to headphones with Pandora in the pocket without deafening yourself or turning it off accidentally.

Thanks,

Mark

Vimacs said:
If you are going for two sd slots, which i think is kinda senseless, it would also allow for a design that would make everyone happy: have one sd slot at the back and one at the front.

This may indeed be the best solution, that way you have more choice for fitting SDIO cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back