Compact Flash

Shrike

well there are plenty of compact flash devices that have plugins to make them into SMC readers, so I was thinking which is not a good sign.

What if you took the gp32 apart (i mean totally apart), gutted out the SMC reading capability, had the case reformed at the back because CF cards are thicker, changed all the internals for a CF reader and if it needs extra power have like a watch battery or an AAA battery in it (supplying power directly to CF and not to entire gp32 to prevent screen frying).

Would it be possible? Probably not but that gave me something to do. It could be, but then you've got to mod the BIOS for a CF instead of SMC or it'd never work properly. Also would the emu's work, they'd be looking for SMC and not CF unless i've got it totally wrong and they are just reading from whatever drive is there

i lost you at the part about the SMC readers :unsure:

Sounds like a good idea, but you'd really need a hardware SMC emu built in before the compact-flash reader, so you could use SMC calls with the updated filesystem. Even still, I wouldn't swear to decent compatibility.

I doubt its something anyone's going to try anytime soon, simply because its soo awkward and expensive to replace the units at the moment if they break, and everyone still loves the things (mostly).

Perhaps when a few people get bored (could it ever happen? lol) and when the things are easier to get hold of in Europe, it might happen. Who knows?

In *theory* that should work... in theory. ;)

They both use NAND-Type flash memory, which doesn't have addressing inputs. NAND Flash read/write cycles are much closer to a hard disk than other types of flash memory. However, I seem to remember that those adapters only work on XD cards up to 128meg. Unless this is a newer model... I may just have to buy one and find out for myself.

Honestly, I don't care what I use. As long as it's larger than 128mb!

...I remember when my dad bought an 80mb harddrive. It was so big and cool at the time...

And I will be really pissed if it doesn't work with a 256mb xD card. My card says it's 2.5 volts, which is the same as lower mb xD cards. We'll just have to see...

Yes, however look at the close-up pic of that one and compare it to the one on the page that abbibi found. The one he found does not have "Max. 128" printed on it. So I'm hoping that it is a new iteration of the hardware.

And hey if this doesn't work I can just group some NAND flash chips and make them switchable.

actually a cf port wouldn't be that hard. does anyone remember the prototype on gp32emu? it used compact flash.... ;) :eek:

edit:
the xd adapter shows a 256mb card going into it ;)

a solution to that problem could be the use of a FPGA chip interface

CF -> FPGA -> gp32's SMC connector

FPGA : is a programmable chip, which is perfect for that type of application :)

xD picture cards goes up to 512 MB, so it is definately interesting.

I emailed shoptronics, and they told me that the adapter IS compatible with 256mb xD cards. Yay!

It might not be compatible with the gp32, though. The adapter should arrive on Monday. I will update with the results. I already own a 256mb xD card, but I suggest everyone else wait for me to test it. If it doesn't work, I'll be saving you all from spending $100 on a card you can't use.

I await the results avidly... if a 256 cart is supported, that'd be exceedingly nice. If a 512 mb one was, that'd be stupidly so - we'd have space for movies at higher framerates :)

Any idea what the data transfer rate of an xD card is (i.e. more or less than SMC?)

I wonder if the adapter has a generic SMCID built in, btw... as long as they're all different, that could be invaluable; rather than encrypting stuff to the GP32, do it to the adapter; that way, you could change unit and STILL have working software. And not be stuck with it on one card either... Could be somewhere worth fiddling with :)

Back