Compact Flash

Shrike posted on Jul 13 2003 said:
nicking my topic for shame
Yar! Not only do I steal other's ideas, I attack topics with a vengeance, warping the subject and misleading lost souls! Arrrrrgh, I do be a pirate to de bones, laddy! Yar!

Archibear, I'm not sure there is a defined size limit for SMC's. I think it's about the same as compact flash.

It looks like the adapter won't arrive until tomorrow. It somehow managed to get caught up in customs from Canada. We can't trust packages from Canada, you know. That's where all those terrorists come from... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
abbibi posted on Jul 14 2003 said:
It looks like the adapter won't arrive until tomorrow. It somehow managed to get caught up in customs from Canada. We can't trust packages from Canada, you know. That's where all those terrorists come from... :lol:
Um, try reading the previous posts...

Anyways, I checked UPS tracking, and it's in state, so it SHOULD arrive tomorrow (Tuesday). But it's been sitting at the same place since the 12th, so I'm not sure. Then again, I've fount UPS tracking to be fairly inaccurate. Sometimes it says it only got about halfway here, and I recieved it a few day earlier. Other times it claims a package has been delivered, and I don't get it for another two days. All I can say is I will get it soon.... <_<

ok, so this is off topic but regarding the canadian terrorists, listen to the song canada by five iron frenzy, it is soooo funny you may just pee your pants :blink:

There's a 512Mb card in development, but at a guess it'll cost ~£145 - which is waaaaaay over any sort of budged I have...

It arrived, but I got a process error while trying to format my xD. I have to go to work now, but I will tinker with it when I get back in the morning. If you have any suggestions, give them to me now and I will try them.

if the error is in pclink the you could try to format it manually: make the folders yourself and copy stuff from your smc :unsure:

The problem is (I think) with the GP32. Supposedly, SMC hardware is backwards compatible, but not forward-compatible. For instance, if you got a device several years ago when 64mb was the max, it wouldn't read the 128mb cards when they came out. Apearently each different size card uses a completely different addressing system. If support for a certain addressing system isn't built into your hardware, you can't use cards with that system/size. I would have posted this before, but I was kind of hoping I was wrong (and abbibi had already ordered his XD adapter).

Chip posted on Jul 16 2003 said:
For instance, if you got a device several years ago when 64mb was the max, it wouldn't read the 128mb cards when they came out.
Chip is right... Unlike CF cards SMCs don't have a controller build in and the addressing stuff has to be done by the devices firmware. That means a future 256mb SMC (or the 256mb xd in this case) won't be supported by the GP32 without a firmware update.

Back