Compact Flash To Smart Media?

mechaaztlan

Still Fresh
i would have much prefered the gp32 be able to handle compact flash cards since i deal with those alot ,so have plenty of them,(and the smart media cards seem like out dated floppy disks to me...blagh) so my question/suggestion is really more of a hardware question/suggestion ,is there any compact flash to smart media adapter? like something external? i know there is smartmedia to compact flash adapters,just didnt know if it was possible the other way around,thanx for the info (btw i thought this would have already been discussed but on my search all that came up was an mp3 thread,sorry if this is a moot point.)

thanx
gp32_console

its possible for it to work for PCs but the GP32 wont read it without a bios recode (I think, dont quote me on it) and it would probably be over 3.3v so it wouldnt work n e way

I have seen suitable converters out there, but they are still limited to 128mb so why bother?

I have seen suitable converters out there, but they are still limited to 128mb so why bother?
well is dtill like to try mainly because i have many compact flash cards,this would save me the trouble of buying smart media cards too (i own one), could you provide info on where you saw this,id really appreciate it,thanx :D gp32_console

and to the person asking if they are cheaper , ive read reports claiming that they are,but since i dont like smart media i havent really investigated it ,compact flash cards just seem more dependable,durable to me,if theyre the same price id still prefer these

Last edited by a moderator:
thats a stretch i was talkin about not buying smart media cards, you took it out of context and then generalized the whole idea, besides i wouldnt consider a five ounce add on inconvenient :lol: and i WOULD consider it more convenient than buying a smart media card to replace 1gb compact flash card :blink:

anyways to try and drag this post back to its original intent, is there any advantages of smartmedia over compact flash, speed wise?

Well even if there was and your adapter works (WHICH IT WON'T) it can only go the same speed or slower because it being transferred thru SMC

IT WON'T WORK IT WON'T WORK IT WON'T WORK IT WON'T WORK IT WON'T WORK IT WON'T WORK IT WON'T WORK IT WON'T WORK

It might work, But even if you put a 1gb card in, the gp32 will still only access the first 128mb, just forget about it and save your self some trouble.

Yes, it may work, but any compact flash cards over 128mb will not work at all as there will not be an identifier for them.

hmmmm okay, i wouldnt mind if it could only work with 128, but if theres no existing piece of hardware out there, and even if somebody decided to try it it ,and it probably wouldnt work,then i guess this is a moot point, thanx for all the help im gonna rescue some smart media cards from the dumpster :p

Back