Release Community Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is Hawkthorne, a 2d platformer with some RPG / Crafting elements.

preview5.png

The game use Löve (0.8.0) engine and glshim. There are a few graphics artefact (probably du to the scalling on the Pandora screen), but apart from that, the game is working fine.

On CC model, the game can be a little slow.

If you experience crashes, try putting a Swapfile (for CC only) or change SGX driver.

History log

=========

Build 03

------------

• Compatible with Firmware SZ 1.62+
Build 02

------------

• Enlarge the Achievement notification
Build 01

-----------

• Initial build
  • Key customisation (all action keys are mapped to Pandora buttons)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's really a nice game :)

A small issue: texts (notification boxes on the lower right) are unreadable due to scaling... would it be possible to increase the text size for those?

That's really a nice game :)

A small issue: texts (notification boxes on the lower right) are unreadable due to scaling... would it be possible to increase the text size for those?
I'll try. Got to find the code for this notification first...

Ok, I found it, and enlarge it. It's readable now.

Build 02

------------

This kind of stuff - do you submit that upstream in some way where it's also acceptable for larger resolutions, or do you often have patches which you need to apply to each new version of software?

Build 02

------------

This kind of stuff - do you submit that upstream in some way where it's also acceptable for larger resolutions, or do you often have patches which you need to apply to each new version of software?
I don't submit this kind of hack.

If you are interested, I changed the file achievements.lua, line 197-199

from

love.graphics.push()
    love.graphics.scale( 0.5, 0.5 )
    love.graphics.printf(current.description, (x + 10) * 2, (y + 21) * 2, (width - 20) * 2, "left")

to

Code:
    love.graphics.push()
    love.graphics.scale( 0.75, 0.75 )
    love.graphics.printf(current.description, (x + 10) * 4/3, (y + 21) * 4/3, (width - 20) * 4/3, "left")

Build 02

------------

I assume you have to change stuff like this quite often.Do you usually try to find a not-hacky solution which lets you submit upstream or is it easier to just apply the change on each update?

Build 02

------------

I assume you have to change stuff like this quite often.
Do you usually try to find a not-hacky solution which lets you submit upstream or is it easier to just apply the change on each update?
Not much people are interested in small screen hack. So I do it the quick and dirty way most of the time. Some time I submit upstream, or send my changes to the author as a diff when it's worth.

"The game use Löve (0.9.1) engine and glshim."

Oh boy, the new loeve engine!  Now I can package that game I've been wanting to package!

"This game was built for a different version of Loeve."

Wait...

#LD_LIBRARY_PATH=... ./love --version

0.8.0 (Rubber duck)

...Oh.  So I take it you backported a 0.9.1 game.

:-(

"The game use Löve (0.9.1) engine and glshim."

Oh boy, the new loeve engine!  Now I can package that game I've been wanting to package!

"This game was built for a different version of Loeve."

Wait...

#LD_LIBRARY_PATH=... ./love --version

0.8.0 (Rubber duck)

...Oh.  So I take it you backported a 0.9.1 game.

:-(
Hmmm, let me check, but I have compiled love 0.9.1 (I have too many version of that engine on my SDCard now).

*EDIT* yeah, sory, Hawkthorne is Löve0.8.0.

To get Löve 0.9.1, take a look at Duck Marines.

I'll correct the descriptions.

Hi ptitSeb, a number of your Löve engine games are not starting for me: Mr. Rescue and Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne are the two I have identified so far. They all are giving the same error messages in the pndrun files. Any idea what is going on here? They were working previously with SZ 1.70, but I had a crash a few days ago and now none will start. I tried reflashing, redownloading, switching SGX drivers, and deleting the appdata, but no luck. It is interesting that they all started doing this at the same time.Do they depend on another central pnd that might be causing this? For some reason Not Pac-Man seems to work fine.

=======================================================================================

PND : /media/DEDGEDORA/pandora/menu/hawkthorne_ptitseb.pnd
PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs
APPDATADIR : /media/DEDGEDORA/pandora/appdata/pndmanager
APPDD_FSTYPE : ext4
PND_CPUSPEED :
EXENAME : runscript.sh
ARGUMENTS :
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop1" "/mnt/utmp/hawkthorne"
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,dirs="/media/DEDGEDORA/pandora/appdata/hawkthorne=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/hawkthorne=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/hawkthorne"
[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application ( runscript.sh ) ----------
--------------------------------------------------------------
Setting PATH to /mnt/utmp/hawkthorne:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
AL lib: (WW) alc_initconfig: Failed to initialize backend "pulse"
*** glibc detected *** ./love: malloc(): memory corruption: 0x001711a8 ***
LIBGL: Initialising glshim
booting
./runscript.sh: line 21: 10938 Aborted LIBGL_FB=1 ./love hawkthorne.love
[ FAILED]--- Starting the application ( runscript.sh ) ----------
[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/hawkthorne': Device or resource busy
[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
cleanup done
[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------
Return code is : 3

Well, actually Duck Marines and Mr. Rescue might be a little different:

PND : /media/DEDGEDORA/pandora/menu/duckmarines_ptitseb.pnd
PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs
APPDATADIR : /media/DEDGEDORA/pandora/appdata/duckmarines
APPDD_FSTYPE : ext4
PND_CPUSPEED :
EXENAME : runscript.sh
ARGUMENTS :
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/duckmarines"
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,dirs="/media/DEDGEDORA/pandora/appdata/duckmarines=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/duckmarines=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/duckmarines"
[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application ( runscript.sh ) ----------
--------------------------------------------------------------
Setting PATH to /mnt/utmp/duckmarines:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
AL lib: (WW) alc_initconfig: Failed to initialize backend "pulse"
./runscript.sh: line 22: 11595 Segmentation fault LIBGL_FB=1 ./love duckmarines.love
[ FAILED]--- Starting the application ( runscript.sh ) ----------
[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[ START ]--- Restoring nub mode ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Restoring nub mode ----------
[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/duckmarines': Device or resource busy
[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
cleanup done
[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------
Return code is : 3

EDIT: Now this is weird. I mounted Duck Marines and copied out the PND contents to another folder. After invoking the run script, it ran just fine...

Yep the standard Duck Marines PND works fine now. Still just the other two giving me trouble.

Looks like the memory corruption I already experience with a specific build of openal/fluidsynth. Just a repackaging should fix them..

Looks like the memory corruption I already experience with a specific build of openal/fluidsynth. Just a repackaging should fix them..
Ok cool. Thank you for taking a look!

It is odd that now both Duck Marines and Mr. Rescue run fine, but this error still shows up in their .out files: AL lib: (WW) alc_initconfig: Failed to initialize backend "pulse"

I don't see the memory corruption error in those two anymore, though.

Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne and a basic .love file I made to displays a couple PNG files still have the memory corruption error. I have tried my .love file with both Löve from the Hawkthorne and Duckmarines PNDs, so maybe there is an error in my .love file packaging or my main.lua script. It is very odd the way the error is showing up now, when it didn't before. It is also weird that it affected Duck Marines and Mr. Rescue only temporarily from what I can tell.

I'll probably simplify my .love file once more to just a "Hello World" to see if I can get my scripts running again.

It is odd that now both Duck Marines and Mr. Rescue run fine, but this error still shows up in their .out files: AL lib: (WW) alc_initconfig: Failed to initialize backend "pulse"

Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne and a basic .love file I made to displays a couple PNG files still have the memory corruption error. I have tried my .love file with both Löve from the Hawkthorne and Duckmarines PNDs, so maybe there is an error in my .love file packaging or my main.lua script. It is very odd the way the error is showing up now, when it didn't before. It is also weird that it affected Duck Marines and Mr. Rescue only temporarily from what I can tell.

I'll probably simplify my .love file once more to just a "Hello World" to see if I can get my scripts running again.
Ok, I tried a repackaging... Can you try this version?

Ok, I tried a repackaging... Can you try this version?
Works great! The AL lib error seems to be gone with this version as well. I will try testing with my scripts again tonight. Thank you so much, ptitSeb.

Seem to be not TV Out Combatible,just wanted to make a Video of this nice Game ;)

Activated TV Out and PND Run say:

alc_initconfig: Failed to initialize backen Pulse
-segmention fault          LIBGL_FB=1 ./love hawkthorne.love
Edit: tried it without TV Out=same Error

-deleted Appdate=sameError

last Zaxxon Update from this Morning on a before 2 Weeks reflashed 1 GHZ Pandora.

Edit Edit:

If you experience crashes, try putting a Swapfile (for CC only) or change SGX driver.
ok will try it this Evening,i even wanted to make a Swapfile for MegaMan8Bit :)

Back