Code Sourcery, Symlinks

I have found that running Linux in a VM on a decent machine for Pandora development works ok. I didn't try to run it dual monitor or anything fancy but losing a single screen to Linux was fine.

There's a difference in trolling and trying to provide an answer. You asked for help, the most obvious and best response was "install Linux".

So here comes the typical windows/mac guy's rant: it's complicated (with examples).
No the most obvious response from your end would have been to stay silent, since you obviously cannot provide the solution to his problem (you only provided a workaround).

Sure Windows might not be the optimal setup for development work for a *NIX based platform, but it surely is a viable option and you can run into trouble with Linux environments, too - it's not like they are the cure-all and be-all.

I don't completely disagree with your view on Linux and Windows, but you are being really pushy and obnoxious about it. You just could have recommended Linux once and leave it at that, but you kept making "trollish" statements about the use of Windows, without contributing anything to the thread.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - you like Linux, feel free to, but please don't go around rubbing it in other people's faces.

Dude, I really like you (when we met at GC), but on this forum and with that attitude you can be quite annoying at times.

Just dual boot into real Linux.  That should be more straightforward than to have to work around silly issues like having an OS that doesn't understand symlinks.
Linux, straight forwards? LOL...
To be fair, the last time I installed Linux (on anything except my PS2 Linux kit) was probably around 10 years ago now.
Most GNU/Linux distros have improved significantly in terms of user friendliness in the past 10 years. Try some - you can boot from a live USB stick to try them out.

No the most obvious response from your end would have been to stay silent, since you obviously cannot provide the solution to his problem (you only provided a workaround).

Sure Windows might not be the optimal setup for development work for a *NIX based platform, but it surely is a viable option and you can run into trouble with Linux environments, too - it's not like they are the cure-all and be-all.

I don't completely disagree with your view on Linux and Windows, but you are being really pushy and obnoxious about it. You just could have recommended Linux once and leave it at that, but you kept making "trollish" statements about the use of Windows, without contributing anything to the thread.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - you like Linux, feel free to, but please don't go around rubbing it in other people's faces.

Dude, I really like you (when we met at GC), but on this forum and with that attitude you can be quite annoying at times.
"the most obvious response"

Question: I have a car, i want to fly with it

Non-answer: buy a solder iron, buy wings, buy altimeter (endless list)...

Answer: buy a plane

"Dude, I really like you (when we met at GC)"

I ain't gonna marry you, don't even ask.

Back to topic:

AFAIR cygwin symlinks are just normal files which contain the path to the linked file and they are interpreted as symlinks in the cygwin layer.

Unless the CodeSourcery tool chain is a cygwin application, it doesn't know about cygwin symlinks, so it can't read the symlinked library, it only reads the symlink itself.

@foxblock Thanks; your post exactly matches my thoughts.

@Linux-SWAT I don't have grudges for anyone on the forum, but I feel my rational responses on this thread have been met with unfriendly and rude comments from you. I don't know why this is, but I really see no point in provoking them. So thanks for your input here, I will certainly consider Linux in future if I feel it is the best task for a problem I have. Lets just leave it at that.

@M-HT Thanks for this explanation, I hoped there might be some 'magic' that Cygwin does for spawned processes to redirect symlink access, but I have little knowledge about Cygwin/Linux so it appears my hopes were not right!

Maybe I'll post over in the Code Soucery forums/support and see if there is any workarounds (other than my junction point suggestion, which maybe I will try as it should provide a reasonable solution).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back