Ce Certification Now Invalid?

He didn't reply to the fact that TX was working, either. Whatever, he may or may not have valid points, but ED will do full bells and whistles certification anyway, so whatever problem wherever might eventually be present. Just fuck it.

edit: Ninja'd

spaceballs3000: your intentions toward the project are clear - you want to use any issue you can in order to justify further delay of the project.

A question for you: Are you *SURE* you know that the device tested for CE didn't have the correct resistor value on it?

IF you not *SURE*, then shut the hell up.

psssst... Spaceballs: Don't forget to make sure they are following the RoHS and WEEE regulations

I'm remembering spacey's previous thread, and I'm also remembering the fact that ED has gotten devices CE certified before. Hmm.

:p

Javacat said:
psssst... Spaceballs: Don't forget to make sure they are following the RoHS and WEEE regulations

;) We do :p

Okay, I just made some phonecalls. I couldn't get any official authorities who take care that everything conforms the CE on the phone yet, but will probably tomorrow (they're out of office already).
I reached some guys from testing labs though. They know that there was an application to expand the CE frequencies so that WiFi will also need CE. However, they were not sure when this expandation will become valid (it might even be valid). I sent an email to official authorities to send me more information about that.

I also talked to a few lawyers: As long as we don't sell WITHIN US, we're not responsible for FCC. The one who buys from us and IMPORTS the Pandora is responsible. The buyer makes the contract with us in EU, therefore the laws of EU are valid and no FCC is needed here.

Still we want to make the FCC certification so that you all can import it without any hazzles. But as that can only be done with a finished unit, we have to wait 1 - 2 weeks before we can do it.

We could also disable the WiFi module for the units we ship to USA and clearly state in the manual that you should not install any software that reenables it.

However, that's not what we want. We want a completely certified and approved Pandora, but that won't happen before we have some final units. But it's planned.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
We could also disable the WiFi module for the units we ship to USA and clearly state in the manual that you should not install any software that reenables it.
"Due to US regulations, the firmware shipped with your Pandora has had it's WiFi module disabled. Do NOT go to www.open-pandora.org/downloads. Do NOT download the latest Global firmware release. Do NOT follow the simple install instructions that are included with the download. We apologize for any inconvenience, but it is out of our hands." ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:

I have another idea. spaceball gives his home address to all US customers and OpenPandora will move ALL US customers to the end of the list.
This way we can make sure that US customers get FCC certified units.
Please, US customers, don't beat ME up. That's why you get the address of spaceballs3000 ;)

Creature XL said:
EvilDragon said:

I have another idea. spaceball gives his home address to all US customers and OpenPandora will move ALL US customers to the end of the list.
This way we can make sure that US customers get FCC certified units.
Please, US customers, don't beat ME up. That's why you get the address of spaceballs3000 ;)

Don't blame him, he got valid points. It's just not that easy to do everything correct from the very beginning. We're trying to do that - the most important thing is that we need first final units though.

Last edited:
You guys are all being really hard on spaceballs, by saying that he probably wants to intentionally delay the project. Isn't it possible that he just wants to avoid legal complications that the OP team could encounter causing sales to be banned or even fines to be handed out?

I'm not saying he's necessarily right, just that his intentions are not necessarily bad.

EvilDragon said:
BTW: That resistor didn't change anything in the WiFi area. The WiFi chip was working well before, it reported a very good signal quality. And transmitting WiFi was ALWAYS working and didn't have anything to do with the resistor.
The only thing the resistor did change was the steepness of the curve for the module to sync the WiFi RECEPTION. The module was receiving everything, but it wasn't in sync with the board and therefore we had packet loss.

The WiFi RX / TX itself hasn't been changed by that resistor.

HEADSHOT!! DOMINATING!!

EvilDragon said:
Okay, I just made some phonecalls. I couldn't get any official authorities who take care that everything conforms the CE on the phone yet, but will probably tomorrow (they're out of office already).
I reached some guys from testing labs though. They know that there was an application to expand the CE frequencies so that WiFi will also need CE. However, they were not sure when this expandation will become valid (it might even be valid). I sent an email to official authorities to send me more information about that.

Yes please confirm in detail how un-certified 2.4ghz WiFi module is not covered by CE, because then it would show that I was in error, and I over paid to have my device that ran tests that covered CE testing at RF at 2.4ghz.

Also it would prove this article wrong too.
Beginning in April 2001, all radio devices operating in the 2.4 GHz band must be approved under a CE marking process. Meeting the essential requirements enables declaration of CE conformity.

"The Good news is that your wifi unit is not transmitting out of band! In fact, It's not even transmitting IN band. "

hey spaceballs,

the team want to put their neck into the rope - they made it clear enough. why not let them?

If the WiFi/BT module itself is CE marked then it carries over to the main unit, which only has to be tested for other emissions. The WG7210 (module used in Pandora) datasheet lists the following:

FCC Part 15.209/247 ETSI 300 328-2, 301 489-1/-17, EN60950, CE Marker for Europe

Unfortunately, it's totally unclear to me whether or not it's saying it satisfies these things or that these are requirements it has to, but the latter doesn't really make any sense for a datasheet.

Still, strange that it wouldn't give an actual FCC ID.

My guess is that it meets requirements by some verification procedure but doesn't have actual FCC certification - but since CE isn't a certification it can still have a legitimate CE marker this way, and they'd be legally liable if it failed to meet specification.

I just noticed this and it's completely unrelated, so rather ignore this.
Gruso said:
:lol: oh spaceballs, you don't quit. Why? Are you a massive fan of red tape? Do you just want to be right? Are you fearmongering?
I haven't yet read further than page 2 of this thread.
Reading Gruso's, I noticed that in some situations the line between fearmongering and well-meant (is that an English word?) concern is a thin one.

On a side note, what does the "red tape" allude to?
I guess I should be able to work it out but I don't get it atm.

Let it be weekend already!

kuru said:
On a side note, what does the "red tape" allude to?
"Red tape" usually refers to bureaucracy and the like. :p

official and legal documents used to be wrapped in red ribbon with a seal on them, with officialdoms tendency to perpetuate ever increasing paperwork on their hapless victims, the phrases "cutting through the red tape" (opening legal or governmental papers, getting them processed), and "tied up in red tape" (paperwork that isn't being "seen to" yet) are commonplace.

getting a CE certificate is about as hard as putting on a hat, so I don't feel any unease about it, the worst that can happen is customs refuse to allow Pandoras into the USA cos they don't follow their requirements, wouldn't be the first time that's happened, UK car makers (when we had some) used to have to jump through some crazy hoops to sell cars in the USA, even to the point of adding features that where not even law yet, just in case those features where made law.

the WiFi is already certified anyway, it's no different to adding a WiFi module to your laptop or a card to your desktop (just smaller), you don't need to recertify your laptop/desktop when you add the dongle/card/whatever, the device itself carries the certification, and 2.4ghz band devices are a well defined standard, the device is incapable of doing anything that breaches the standard, so it's a non-issue, the test results the second time around will be the same as they where the first time around, nice "heads up" though, thanks, best to be forewarned than not.

POISON! The fact is, the OPT position on FCC and CE certs is *AS GOOD AS IT CAN POSSIBLY BE GIVEN THE CIRCUMSTANCES*.

craigix said:
Asmo said:
Wait... when was there an official FCC test?

NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

If I had the skills I'd make each of my words a link to a thread where it has been said before.

EvilDragon said:
Nevertheless, the big FCC test is still coming and planned

Back