Ce Certification Now Invalid?

^ Haha, it's really funny when you consider that my post was one of the very few that offered some substance, at least :D

Gruso said:
Critical_Impact said:
They should just add a time machine to it and then we can go back and troll on the forums even harder, because there will be two copies of ourselves.
Oh yes, I'd sign up an alt account and troll myself for masochistic lulz.
That

was

awesome.

Be sure to tell us when the Pandora arrives.

Last edited by a moderator:
On-topic though, I'm sure I read something from EvilDragon saying that the change didn't effect the results of the FCC testing. Of course, I haven't been able to find it in time to establish some level of credibility, so you'll just have to take my word for it. :D

Whew, thank goodness that's over with. Now we can get back to some other thread.

mali said:
^ Haha, it's really funny when you consider that my post was one of the very few that offered some substance, at least :D

What you offered was worse than the ill-relevant substance posted earlier.

Troll I I admit doesn't fit, maybe I should have use "Pandora loyal fanboy" instead, as that is likely the more accurate case. My apologies.

^ ROFL
You show a disturbing lack of forum's knowledge ;)

edit:
Well, I don't want to be an ass so take this
hb.gif
and good luck, FCC/CE freak :)

Spaceballs, I do wonder exactly what your motivation is? You've started a series of threads about FCC certification and SD licensing over the last year. I understand that you work in a related field so you're naturally interested in certain aspects (you even brought new wifi/FCC info to the table in a previous thread, although it turned out FCC tests weren't needed in the end).

But it's pretty clear that there aren't going to be more tests at this stage. (I heard it said somewhere that it wasn't required, but "CE" is hard to search for.) Even if it was required, shouldn't we just... shut up? Another test right now would be a disastrous delay. If it was any other product, not a soul in the world would know about a tiny resistor swap. Everyone knows about this one, but that doesn't mean we have to connect the dots for every man and his dog. We want our Pandoras, not another ten bloody blog posts about CE testing. :p

I'll leave you with this.

blabbed.jpg

Attachments

• blabbed.jpg
    blabbed.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 111
Gruso said:
... although it turned out FCC tests weren't needed in the end). ...

Well technically FCC is required for USA customers, the Pandora team is ignoring this law, it's simple as that. I've went though the process before and was hoping that the Pandora team could have my thoughts of the process. Because at one time the Pandora group was claiming it would do all the proper certification, heck even their 'Current Status' page is misleading i.e. it says testing for FCC/CE compliance - Status - Passed ... which FCC should be removed, because it not in 'compliance' until it has been FCC tested. Saying it will/should doesn't pass-muster.

Line O said:
On-topic though, I'm sure I read something from EvilDragon saying that the change didn't effect the results of the FCC testing. Of course, I haven't been able to find it in time to establish some level of credibility, so you'll just have to take my word for it. :D

Whew, thank goodness that's over with. Now we can get back to some other thread.

From what the Pandora team has posted to date, FCC was never done, just CE was done.

Anything affecting the radio like the bad clock input caused by the PCB change should not have been used. And any type of fix for it would have to be CE re-certified.

Also what is odd, in that blog post,
So he started to work on a new testing board (Rev6) which could also be used as new board for the rest of the 3300 Pandoras if it fixes WiFi.
So even though they have CE certified one model of PCB, they are going to change the layout after it been certified hum...

Gruso said:

Hmmm shouldn't the first line read "don't talk about chip movements"?
I'll leave it to somebody else to make an equally poor gag for the 'production' part....

Attachments

• blabbed.jpg
    blabbed.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 122
mvickers03 said:
If you delay the Pandora you would suck spaceballs LITERALLY!

You know it depends on the CE certification guys, it could be only 5 minutes to go over these changes, and with minimal testing. It's not like they have to start from scratch, just Pandora would have to part with a little money for the extra time the CE certification guys would have to do.

spaceballs3000 said:
Line O said:

From what the Pandora team has posted to date, FCC was never done, just CE was done.

My bad. Substitute any reference by me to 'FCC' with 'CE'. The level of indifference need not change.

One more time: The CE Certification is a done by the company who produces / sells the device: In that case, us.
If we certificate it, it's fine. WE are the ones responsible for assuring it does pass CE. There is NO ONE else who can do a certification for you.

If you include a CE certification within your product, you are claiming you tested the device and made sure it is within all of the given CE specs.
If it's not the case and a test or some problems do reveal this, you are responsible for it.
The test basically is optional, but it would be madness selling a device telling it conforms the CE without testing it.

There is no such thing invalid CE certification.

No need to retest it, though, as the only critical thing that didn't pass EMV was the LCD cable, so it had to be shielded (very common problem with such devices).
That resistor doesn't change anything there, so I can assure you it's still within the specs.

As soon as we got enough money, we will go for a big test that includes ALL testing for everything needed worldwide, but that's VERY expensive.
Until then, we did what he had to do to sell it legally - do CE, as we are sitting in Europe.

kingoddball said:
ED is grumpy.

;) I am? :D

Well, here is more information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_mark

It's called "Self Declaration"
"In order to use the CE mark on a product the manufacturer must draw up a Declaration of Conformity (DoC) in which the manufacturer attests conformity with all relevant New Approach Directives (NADs) and takes sole legal responsibility."

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
One more time: The CE Certification is a done by the company who produces / sells the device: In that case, us.
If we certificate it, it's fine. WE are the ones responsible for assuring it does pass CE. There is NO ONE else who can do a certification for you.

Just Semantics, when CE testing was done, you guys used another company to run these test correct? or do you happen to have the >$100,000 of RF testing hardware just laying around, and also happen to be accredited as a Notified Body by a Member State of the EU?

For CE mark, you need Declaration of Conformity and since you have a RF radio in the Pandora you will then require a Notified Body for the New Approach Directives, i.e. "99/5/EC Radio and telecommunications terminal equipment". A Notified Body This to issue a Certificate of Conformity in order to verify performance of the product.

In other words you need a Notified Body to give you a valid CE mark. Now if you go and change the design after the Notified Body verifies the product performance then that CE mark means nothing. i.e. be like a walk-talky company makes an 0.1 watt model to certify, then changes the PCB to do 100 watts they they sell to the public. It's an extreme example but do you see the coloration? Yes you guys take sole legal responsibility, but I say you are putting your self way more into the grey area by doing this.

Back