Cave Story / Ginge(GP2X wrapper)

*has decided to use all his exclamation points for the year on this post*

Oh wow, this makes me so happy! Now I know what I'm gonna play first when I get my pandora!
Thanks Notaz! Your work is appreciated! :D

Awesome news, this will be great for the Pandora as it now has tons of software. Now somebody got to make clicking .ini files (like on the wiz , dunno about the gp2x) to start the gp2x games instead of having to boot the whole ginge menu up.

For some reason the way that Ginge works so well on the Pandora makes me think of Clarke's 3rd Law

Which is : Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Notaz you are a wizard.

Edit : Ruckman on Pandora, Wooooooooooooo!

Am I the only one wondering whether the technique used by Gringe could also be used to run Wiz/Caanoo executables on the Pandora?

SteveM said:
Am I the only one wondering whether the technique used by Gringe could also be used to run Wiz/Caanoo executables on the Pandora?

Ginge probably can't be used...but maybe something like it can...the only thing I think it would be worthwhile for (in my opinion anyways) is Asura Cross, and maybe some other commercial Wiz/Caanoo games.

Notaz?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Cave Story for GP2X available in the original Japanese?

Edit: Answering my own question. Poked around the files included with the available English GP2X version. The data files are stored in data.cramfs which can be mounted.

It contains the .txc and .pbm files from the English translation which can be replaced with those from the original Japanese version. This should work, but I'll post back with a certain answer when my Pandora (SHIPPED!) arrives.

For those curious, I have been studying Japanese for 3 years and prefer media from there in the original form over translations.

Hmmm... This should also be handy for the various programs that M-HT static recompiled for the GP2X: Albion, Warcraft, and X-COM 1 and 2.

Oh, boy! I can finally play all those obsolete GP2X games on my $400 next-gen gaming handheld! I can't wait to run the Pandora's native software on its successor!

typs lik dis said:
Oh, boy! I can finally play all those obsolete GP2X games on my $400 next-gen gaming handheld! I can't wait to run the Pandora's native software on its successor!

Some people just have no idea what they're talking about and just come to bitch :D

Oh wow, I can even get obsolete retro games on my Wii and XBox360 - and guess what: People even pay for them more than they would cost on eBay for the original console :D

Last edited:
There must be something intangibly better about games when they're played through one or more layers of compatibility, emulation, and/or next-gen DRM.

typs lik dis said:
There must be something intangibly better about games when they're played through one or more layers of compatibility, emulation, and/or next-gen DRM.

The appeal to me is that a lot of GP2x games were really good, but were let down by the controls on the device, being able to play them with the Pandora DPad will be a real boon.

Totally agree that games and apps that use the full capability of the Pandora hardware will be where it's at but we'll probably have to wait a fair bit for those.

typs lik dis said:

Well, quite a few never had a GP2X and can play those games.
And yeah, to be honest, the games I replay over and over again (like Turrican 2, e.g.) are all classic games - can't remember I replayed a recent game. They don't appeal to me to be played again.

Emulation and playing retro games is nowhere a niche anymore - as can be seen on XBox360 and Wii. It's no different with the GP2X.

Also, there are some good casual games where the author is not in the scene anymore and the sourcecode is not released (like Electronia, e.g.)
They are still fun if you just want to play for a few minutes.

And lastly - as mentioned multiple times: Cave Story. There probably will never be a Pandora port as the sourcecode is not out.
A lot of people haven't played it yet - or want to replay it (like myself).

It definately makes sense.

Last edited:
Mr Loon said:
typs lik dis said:

The appeal to me is that a lot of GP2x games were really good, but were let down by the controls on the device, being able to play them with the Pandora DPad will be a real boon.

Totally agree that games and apps that use the full capability of the Pandora hardware will be where it's at but we'll probably have to wait a fair bit for those.

Exactly. Can’t see this as a bad thing in any way – it’s instantly multiplied the current software available for the device and taken absolutely nothing away from the machine. Neither developer time nor resources will suffer. Surely having more for Pandora is a good thing, at such an early time of the handheld’s life? By default of what it can do and play so far, it’s technically got the best launch window software of any machine, ever ;)

typs lik dis said:
You should try bringing something to the table other than your stupid trolling.

It works. You can see it around minute 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kXIzoeln1U

Back