Looking For Peter Mackay (Cave Story Port)

Well, we got the GP2X-Version running on the Pandora and I'm in contact with Nicalis to find out if we are free to release it or if they might even be interested in porting the Wii-Version.

Until this is sorted out, nothing will be released, of course.

Sure, I'd love to play a Pandora-optimized port as well, but I'm trying to keep an open mind about this. This is, of course, with the hopes that the PSP emulator will have decent homebrew support. Besides, IF the emulator does run full-speed homebrew of the game, I'd much rather have that than nothing at all.

To be honest, part of my decision to get a Pandora was to play Cave Story on it. I'm hoping as much as anyone else that it'll be released for it, but if not, I'm just hoping for some kind of alternative way to play it.

Anyway, it would be great if Nicalis and Pixel would port it to Pandora. I have low hopes of a free release (no doubt there's some kind of contractual agreement against future "free" releases for a specified time period after the Wii release since it was a commercial version), but I'll gladly give them my money for a Wii port. :)

EvilDragon said:
Well, we got the GP2X-Version running on the Pandora and I'm in contact with Nicalis to find out if we are free to release it or if they might even be interested in porting the Wii-Version.

Glad to hear you're are trying for this. :) I hope things go well. (crossing my fingers)

Edit: if they would like a unit to prototype a Wii port on, I'd be willing to let them use mine. :) However, I think I'm a bit further back in the line.

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:
Oh ED, you are so leaky again

skeezix said:

:)

It looks like my trust was well founded.

notaz said:
EvilDragon said:

Well, as we even wanted to release the video a while ago when we got an okay from Nicalis, I didn't think that would be any leaking ;)

It might happen it will never see the light of the day. We gotta wait.

Last edited:
notaz said:
EvilDragon said:
Hey, sounds like you guys have alot of stuff "behind closed doors". ;)
Are there more things, we mortals don'thave any clue about at the Monent? :D

Please, please, please let this work!!! I would do anything for having this game on Pandora.

Maybe we should provide some more "incentive". :D I would be willing to send say $100 (to Pixel directly) for the port. Heh, I would probably sent him that amount already if I'd found a way (if I could make sure it would reach Pixel directly).

Yoyobuae said:
Please, please, please let this work!!! I would do anything for having this game on Pandora.

Maybe we should provide some more "incentive". :D I would be willing to send say $100 (to Pixel directly) for the port. Heh, I would probably sent him that amount already if I'd found a way (if I could make sure it would reach Pixel directly).
+1

I'm ashamed to say I'd never heard of it until reading about it on this thread. It looks amazing. I certainly wouldn't mind paying for a proper port of this. Is there any problem with you distributing the GP2X port for the Pandora, since it was freeware?

Dead1nside said:
Is there any problem with you distributing the GP2X port for the Pandora, since it was freeware?
People who release software as 'freeware' still retain all rights to the copyright and the distribution of any particular versions. That is, we could run the GP2X version exactly as it is on a GP2X emulator, but you couldn't port it to anything else without express (written) permission.

Line O said:
Dead1nside said:
Is there any problem with you distributing the GP2X port for the Pandora, since it was freeware?
People who release software as 'freeware' still retain all rights to the copyright and the distribution of any particular versions. That is, we could run the GP2X version exactly as it is on a GP2X emulator, but you couldn't port it to anything else without express (written) permission.

That's basically how we do it - but we don't want to release anything without permission.
We all respect the coders work and rights, you know? :)

Last edited:
Sure, you're definitely taking the right approach. Given that a GP2X port existed, presumably with permission, then I'm hopeful for this to happen but we'll see.

Line O said:
Well, it's certainly a courtesy to ask first. And we like being courteous to people. :)

Respecting copyrights is a courtesy? You must be from the internet! ;)

No, but seriously: leaving aside the ethical considerations (I am not copyright's biggest fan), the case law for derivative works - including ports - is very well established in America, Britain, Germany, and many other jurisdictions. As an added bonus, here in America, we have the DMCA provisions that forbid reverse engineering. So, you know, every emulator and every open source rewriting of every game engine ever (GemRB, FSOpen, FHeroes, etc, etc) are actionable.

Knowing is %80 of the battle, etc.

Kicker said:
Respecting copyrights is a courtesy?
That's not what I said and you know it. :p

If the GP2X version was released as freeware, then running it in a "GP2X emulator" on the Pandora would be tickety-boo (see ED's comment "That's basically how we do it"), but it's nice to ask first anyway.

If there's been some cross-linguistic difficulties and I've got the wrong end of the pineapple from ED's post, then I refer you to my post immediately before his where I explicitly point out that respecting copyrights is more than a courtesy.

But since you decided to pick, then I'm going to go out of my way to point out that the % sign comes after the number. ie 80%

YEAH! PWNT! (not really - just being internet-esque) :)

Kicker said:
Spirit said:
But oh god please not the Wii version.

Go on, why not then?
I'm curious also, what was different in the Wii version?

About sending Pixel money to allow a port; I would go along with this. Is there any safe way to pledge money? Maybe pledge money for this and have it go to the dev fund(if that is still around) and if Pixel says no then at least it will go to other devs.

Heck, why pledge money for a port, why not pledge money for the source and art to be under a creative commons license that will allow ports/use of art for non-profit, get a ton of people on the internet involved.

Line O said:
Kicker said:
Respecting copyrights is a courtesy?
That's not what I said and you know it. :p

You're quite right! Let's mutually admire our finely developed empathy and intelligence! :D

But since you decided to pick, then I'm going to go out of my way to point out that the % sign comes after the number. ie 80%

I shall leave my mistake behind un-edited as a warning of the wages of hubris.

Back