Castaway 16.1 Bugs/feedback

no problem, I probably won't get a chance tonight but I'll do what I can...

whoops, I didn't see the bit about skeezix being sick as hell, sounds bad, take it easy :)

I'm mostly over the sick now, but its a total bastard of a virus.. whatever its doing, its preventing me from sleeping. I have insomniac tendancies anyway, but its been some 4 days or so without much sleep. I'm getting pretty messed up, though coherent right now. I was pacing the house last night, for hours, in the dark, just wanting to sleep.. its sort of freaking me out. You see stuff after no sleep for a couple of days..

Anyway :)

I think Major Motion is workable; MM is played with the *mouse*, not with joystick, by default; you can hit a control key to tell it to go to joystick or keyboard control, but normally its played with mouse.

As to ports.. the ST had 2 side ports.. 1 was joy1 and mouse0, and the other is joy0; so default is mouse0 and joy0, though you coudl do player 2 by putting joy1 in the mouse port. I dont' support that, since mobiles are single player really :)

So no need to remap ports.

jeff

skeezix posted on Apr 12 2005 at 07:59 PM said:
I'm mostly over the sick now, but its a total bastard of a virus.. whatever its doing, its preventing me from sleeping. I have insomniac tendancies anyway, but its been some 4 days or so without much sleep. I'm getting pretty messed up, though coherent right now. I was pacing the house last night, for hours, in the dark, just wanting to sleep.. its sort of freaking me out. You see stuff after no sleep for a couple of days..

Anyway :)

I think Major Motion is workable; MM is played with the *mouse*, not with joystick, by default; you can hit a control key to tell it to go to joystick or keyboard control, but normally its played with mouse.

As to ports.. the ST had 2 side ports.. 1 was joy1 and mouse0, and the other is joy0; so default is mouse0 and joy0, though you coudl do player 2 by putting joy1 in the mouse port. I dont' support that, since mobiles are single player really :)

So no need to remap ports.

jeff

Damned ... All my appologies, it works fine by selecting the mouse on the "normal" version, many thanks for these lights Skeezix & nice to know you recover abit now :)
I talk about a normal version coz it got a second version which is called "Joystick" version and where we can use .... the joystick... but obviously this version don't want to work on Castaway ;p only the normal original one works near fine ;p yeah I know I'm horrible, but I still got a problem ... it seems to me that the right / left click of the mouse don't answer :( thus I can't map the "fire" on the A button for exemple... but only a letter on the keyboard... it would be so much more conveniant to be able to use A & B buttons ... but is there a way using for exemple advanced configuration file to do this???
many thanks in any cases & sorry for bothering :)

Last edited by a moderator:
skeezix posted on Apr 11 2005 at 08:14 AM said:
Waaait.. you mean using the Insert Floppy menu breaks if you've got keyboard-saved states? I'll have to check .. it used to assume the filenames due t the 1-8 picker, so maybe that code doesn't handle the arbitrary names right.. but I'd think it should due to how I did it. I'll check..

jeff

I've done some experimentation and this is definately a problem, every time I want to swap disks during a game castaway will crash, when I remove (move/delete) all RAW files except the ones tied to the 8 save slots, the disk swapping will work again.

Some games like Cadaver (which I cannot get ANY version to work) crash when I swap disks anyway, but it looks the same as the above problem.

Now I have around 100Mb of zipped disks, castaway seems more unstable, after running a couple of games the emulator will often crash, even though these are games that normally work fine, and I've got "ERROR: Out of RAM" a few times too. Some games (Turrican 2 for example) will work fine for 10minutes and then crash (reboot) unexpectedly.

I suspect (correct me if I'm wrong) that the portion of memory storing the filenames is getting too big and causing problems, as it scans the directory every time you start castaway, I'm not sure what it is doing when it says "Checking savestate 116..." if maybe it's using more memory for this?

If this is part of the problem would it be possible to use the cache file to store the directory contents and Game titles, so that it doesn't rescan every time, and rescanning the directory could be done with an option for when you add new files?

Anyway, I hope some of that is helpful, Castaway is the no. 1 emulator for me right now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back