Castaway 16.0 Released!

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
Oooh, you'll dig this one. At least I do ;)

See this screenshot for the main addition:
http://www.codejedi.com/castaway/screenshots/cstgpkbd.GIF

In essence... you can now have any number of savestates pretty much, and when you pull up the savestate menu you can go for the quick numbered savestates as before, or pull up the filename editor (the screenshot above), and type in your own filename.

Theres some work to do on the keyboard yet, but most of the alpha characters and numbers work as expected. Don't go past 8 characters as it doesn't handle that well yet (I need to sleep ;). The onscreen text tells you what to do, but it boils down to this..

Use 'B' to type a character on the ST keyboard; type the Return key to actually pick the filename you've entered.
Use GP32 START to cancel the savestate
Use joystick to move the cursor around to key you want to type
Use 'A' to backspace (to save you cursoring over to the ST backspace all the time)
ST keyboards backspace should work, since thats cool

Don't put spaces or the like in the filename, either, though if you're using a card reader then it should be okay.

You can mess it up by typing weird stuff or too much, but aside from that it should work well. You can enter a filename, save it, load it and see what disk it is in the picker.

This should make it much cooler for RPGs or when you wish to dump out piles of saves..

Get it on the website:
http://www.codejedi.com/shadowplan/gp32.html

Let me know if you find any issues, and please enjoy (ir)responsibly!

jeff

Later on I'll do a couple of fixes.. ie: Don't let you backspace to before the beginning of your filename, don't let you go past the max for a filename, and maybe remember the last filename you entered (right now it defaults to the disks filename). I also need to look into some fixes for problems introduced that no one would notice.. (ie: version 14.1 was super solid; then for 15.0 I brought in some changes from Pocket PC and Dreamcast and such, and I think double-click of mouse stopped working, and seams file operations like formatting a disk don't work. Most of the time you'll use savestates so don't need disk operations for writing, and you dont' need to double click much for games, so of course no one noticed :)

So a few more things to do :)

jeff

In case anyone wants to know.. for 15.0 (previous version was 14.1) I brought in code from other castaway ports; looks like the floppy controller changes break for disk writes (formats, etc), but work slightly better for reads; few people ever use writes since they have savestates, so no one noticed.

So I'll see if I can track down the issue, or perhaps revert to the older FDC code, or perhaps just keep it as is since its better for reads, and no one uses writes much.. hmm..

/me mulls it over but has little time

jeff

Hey Skeetix, I did notice the problem with double clicking, But thought it was down to me not clicking fast enough or the delay between clicks was made shorter some how. So now i go to the file menu and select open.

It would be great if you could correct the double click prob, If not, I`d be happy to use the latest version that isn`t affected by this.

Btw, This is something to do with sound. I have messed around with a couple of protracker programs (and clones) and have noticed that the sound plays ok with 2 or possibly 3 channels, but when the 3rd and/or 4th channel kick-in everything gets all garbbled. I`m not sure if it is just affecting particular channels or the fact the problem is playing all channels at once.

Disregard the last comment if you already know what the problem is, Or have already come to a conclusion.

Anyway, Great work Skeetix

Trooper

anyone tried Jumpin Jackson? I keep forgetting to bring my GP32 down stairs to load this on :(

I'll fix double clicking for 16.1 (very soon)

Audio tracks.. curious; I think the trackers are doing their own mixing, so it doesn't seam to make a lot of sense it'd go weird based on number of tracks

I don't have Jumping Jackson installed to any of my devices right now (amazing!), so I'll have to dig it out :p

Sensible may work one of these days; I never played it myself, and I don't have a lot of time so its not on my "spend 20 hours to figure out" list of things to do :) So many projects to work on, and little time, so I go for high impact, or what I need to have for myself, etc etc.. efficient use of time :)

Did you know that there is a Sensible Soccer joystick-tv-game coming out? Sensi Soccer, plus Meg-lo-mania and Cannon Fodder on one control, plug right into your TV :)

jeff

just tried it and it didnt work :(... But It does load it up faster I think :D (Crashes after it says Player 1 )

sensible software joystick!!!! nice, i diddnt know of it, thanks :)

dammit it should be up there as your number 1 prority, but ill let you off for creating such a killer emu, your a scene legend dude i thought you were gunna leave us for the zodiac, a very long time ago but you stayed true to the cause and i love you for it :)

Back