Car Adapter

johnz1

Still Fresh
I'm taking a long trip this week (MA -> Columbus, OH) to meet up with the fam for Thanksgiving. I'll be a passenger, so I'd like to take advantage of the GP2X's portable entertainment value. I only have two sets of AA rechargables and I do like SNES so overclocking is a must.

So to play it safe, I'd like to get a car adapter to power the 2X. I'm planning on visiting Radio Shack and picking up a universal car adapter that has removable connectors and a power selector. Obviously I'll need one that has a connector that fits the 2X, and one with the proper voltage (3.3V, right?).

Is there anything I should know before buying one of these? Keep in mind that I don't want to brick my 2X (just in case that isnt assumed) :)

As long as it can provide around 3V at up to 1A, you should be fine. Also, make sure that you set it up so that the center pin is negative (very important).

3.3V is ideal, but 3V will work without putting undue stess on your unit.

Most rechargeable batteries only provide 2.4V

Is there anything I should know before buying one of these? Keep in mind that I don't want to brick my 2X (just in case that isnt assumed) :)

It doesn't sound too safe to me, either. Personally, I'd just get another 4-pack of rechargables (or two 4-packs). You've got about a 13-hour drive ahead of you, 4(sets) * 3(hours_per_set) should cover you just fine, at least for most of the time. It would be cheaper and safer. Remember, a bricked GP2X makes baby seals cry.

Last edited by a moderator:
i am using the gp2x only in the car, it`s installed there. take care of polarity, get a regulated powerful adapter with at least 1000 mah, and nothing will fry.

As long as the output from the adaptor is 3V/3.3V negative tip @ 1A or above and regulated you will be fine.

To check if its well regulated use a multimete to check the output of the adaptor without your 2x connected. If its more that 5% over the rated output, DONT PLUG YOUR 2x IN!

As long as the output from the adaptor is 3V/3.3V negative tip @ 1A or above and regulated you will be fine.

To check if its well regulated use a multimete to check the output of the adaptor without your 2x connected. If its more that 5% over the rated output, DONT PLUG YOUR 2x IN!

I personally just bought an inverter for my car. It gives you a 110 wall socket that will work great for your gp2x, as well as cell phone, laptop, etc... yeah, it might cost you about $60 for a decent one, but it has many uses aside from the gp2x. Also, if you do it this way, you'll have your AC power once you arrive, and you wont have to modify a thing.

I decided the best idea would be to buy a power inverter. I got a cheap one at Walmart (god i hate shopping there) for $30:

-120 Volt AC power
-140 watt continuous, 200 watt peak

In the end, I just didnt want to take a chance on yet another power adapter. With this inverter I can use it on the 2X, my phone charger, or my mp3 player. Maybe it will even work on the laptop. Either way, I'm all set for my trip and dont have to worry about batteries.

Thanks for the help everyone

EDIT: Here's a link to the item on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PowerLine-DC-to-AC-Pow...5QQcmdZViewItem

I personally just bought an inverter for my car. It gives you a 110 wall socket that will work great for your gp2x, as well as cell phone, laptop, etc... yeah, it might cost you about $60 for a decent one, but it has many uses aside from the gp2x. Also, if you do it this way, you'll have your AC power once you arrive, and you wont have to modify a thing.
yeah, got one of those to, very usefull ^_^.

Back