Capacitive or Resistive touch for the next gen Pandora?

Which one would you prefer for the next gen Pandora?

• Total voters

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
Which one would you prefer for a/the next gen Pandora?

Also, in general...which one would you prefer to be implemented on all future touch screen based electronics?

touch2.gif
72194sensorjpg_00000050183.jpg

whatismultitouch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
resistive because it works better with linux. capacative can settle with android imo, but not for real linux

Sony,

The question was not what was better for the Pandora 2, so no need for a Poll. It was a question of which was better for finger touch registration. A slight derailment of the topic no doubt, which is why I wanted to just agree to disagree with WizardStan

If the Pandora were to use a Capacitive screen, would'nt that mean current apps would need to be altered to cater for this?. I don't know, thats why im asking

I wanted this here, so that's why the word Pandora is included.

In that case you may want to update the poll as you ask two different questions ie which is better for the Pandora 2 and which is better for all touch screen electronic devices. It's confusing as one may not be better for the other.

I think I need some clarification, which is stylus friendly? Unless there is a change in touchscreens to provide some physical feedback I can feel with my fingers I generally dislike touchscreens, though have found them useful when used with a stylus.

Probably resistive would be more stylus freindly and a better match for the Pandora's menu system's interface.

I generally prefer capacitive for touch screen input. Using a stylus is cumbersome and clumsy if it's not the primary input peripheral - swapping back and forth between using the stylus and using, say, the keyboard on the Pandora, is not my idea of a good time. Because of that, if I have to use touch at all, I tend to use my fingertips, and the resistive screen just isn't as accurate as a capacitive screen is for that purpose. The stock software probably wouldn't be great as-is for anything other than resistive, though.

Resistive for three reasons:

1) Pressure sensitivity = Greater Control

2) Precission = Greater Control

3) Stylus use = Greater Control

The Pandora is all about Controls and it's fantastic input options. The screen should follow suit.

IMO the only plus Capacitive screens have is multi-touch... Oh wait a minute! Resistive can do that now too.

I personaly hate using my fingers... and capacitive stylus's are a joke. That's not a stylus - it's so fat it might as well be a finger!

Capacitive screens are for lazy instant gratification people that care more about consuming content than creating it. Oh and Android fanboys.

So there!

Are there ways to make Resistive screens proof against, scratching/kicking/punching?

^ lol

Do piezoelectric touch screens offer pressure sensitivity? They do offer multitouch, can be used with non-capacitive styli and let through more light than resistive screens.

How is the Pandora's current resistive screen? I don't have mine yet, but judging by all the resistive devices I've had the feel of a resistive screen greatly varies. I've had some that felt better than my current capacitive phone (i-mate Ultimate 9502 vs. SGS2) and others that I just wanted to throw out the window (LG eXpo).

Capacitive:

pros: great for multitouch, more durable, arguably better clarity

cons: need to use conductive surface to touch with (fingernails, gloved/cold hands won't work well), no pressure sensitivity

Resistive:

pros: pressure sensitivity, anything that can exert pressure can be used, more precise input possible, cheaper

cons: more fragile surface, may not be as clear as glass (again, arguable)

Given what I want the Pandora to do for me, I'm for resistive all the way. I want the precision and pressure sensitivity. Multitouch is all well and good for things like pinch to zoom and... maybe touch screen-based control schemes (which I can't stand). So pinch to zoom aside, there isn't really much else I use multitouch for.

Another thing that I don't really care for is how touch screen-based apps tend to display less information on the screen to make them more finger-friendly. I've used tiny resistive screens for years before I got a big-screen capacitive phone, and I've almost always used my fingernail instead of the stylus. It just wasn't really necessary most times.

Oh yeah, and if I'm going to draw on a screen, a finger or sausage stylus is simply not going to cut it. :p

Desktop use is not optimized for finger control. Resistive is more precise and pressure sensitive.

Keep it resistive.

Desktop use is not optimized for finger control. Resistive is more precise and pressure sensitive.

Keep it resistive.

True, but minimenu and android would work pretty well.

And the nubs work as pointer control fine.

I'm for one of each.

How is the Pandora's current resistive screen?
Last time I checked there was no pressure sensitivity. I have yet to use the pandora for drawing. It's awkward to hold. Nice on the other hand is that you have the keyboard for hotykeys like in myPaint.

The n900 does myPaint quite nicely (check out luovatone's videos on youtube). Alas on a smaller screen.

If you're satisfied with b/w doodling, might want to check out Asus note slate.

Capacitive for me... All the non Capacitive screens I had so far sucked...

Due to wear out they became iresponsive and the pressure one needs to handle them is the main source of this problem.

I don't care if people crucify me now for my opinion but lets face the truth... This is how many nds die now a days.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

How is the Pandora's current resistive screen?
Last time I checked there was no pressure sensitivity. I have yet to use the pandora for drawing. It's awkward to hold. Nice on the other hand is that you have the keyboard for hotykeys like in myPaint.

The n900 does myPaint quite nicely (check out luovatone's videos on youtube). Alas on a smaller screen.

If you're satisfied with b/w doodling, might want to check out Asus note slate.
Thanks! I was looking a bit more for the feel of the screen, however. Like how smooth the surface is and if skin tends to stick or slide across it, and how heavy a touch it requires. My LG requires a very heavy touch and its digitizing layer was rather 'sticky' compared to other screens I've used.

I'm glad you mentioned the Asus Slate. I was looking for a tablet with an active digitizer but seeing as the only thing I could find was the HTC Flyer or the Samsung Galaxy Note I gave up to wait for this year's models. I may still do that, but at least now I have more options. ;)

Back