resistive touchscreen + capacitive trackpad = win ?

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
I know that resistive touchscreens can do multitouch nowadays, but they are never going to give a comfortable android experience, especially in a clamshell P2

having said this, capacitive screens are undeniably inferior when it comes to accuracy/precision (as needed for a linux desktop)

If there were to be a trackpad on the back (as in the psvita), this would make swipe/pinch movements really smooth

I think it would be possible to locate at least a 5x3 grid of icons/buttons comfortably

It could be a nice way of scrolling and mousing around too, and could share the same handling used for laptop trackpads

might work well with shoulder buttons as mouse buttons

or as part of an iCP2+

might be expensive, though...

thoughts?

I want to use Linux and I don't want to mess around on the bakside of my screen.

I meant on the bottom of the base - the experience should be similar to a laptop trackpad, but leaving your thumbs free for the keyboard

Last edited by a moderator:
In regards to accuracy, capacitive in itself is not really inaccurate or imprecise . It's just that the stylus you use on a capacitive screen is generally your finger which has the accuracy of well, your finger. If you could get a good conductive stylus as have been coming out with Samsung products, that might be a solution.

I'm talking more like the s pen the galaxy note 2 uses. It seems pretty good. But there are now many capacitive styluses on the market.

On aside note there are resistive + capacitive screen combinations that I read about a while ago.

the experience should be similar to a laptop trackpad

I never use it with my Laptop. Nubs are much better and when nubs are better I don't need a trackpad.

Pandora is so mcuh better to use than the trackpad on my Laptop.

(Simply my feeling.)

wacom or ntrig based setup will be more comfortable resistive = not very useful anymore!
resistive is still just as useful as it ever was for he same things it was useful for

proprietary systems are expensive

@Askarus what if you didn't have to change your hand position to reach the trackpad?

I do want a better control for the mouse. Even I have asked myself if it would be possible to fit any kind of trackball instead of the right nub.

Have you noticed that the pandora (no frills resistive) has pressure sensitivity (16 levels afaik)?

Sure its no match for wacom's offerings, and I'm not against good hardware; but its expensive.

@Askarus what if you didn't have to change your hand position to reach the trackpad?

That's not the problem.

I simply don't like trackpads on laptops, that's all.

If it would be an addition to nubs, thenit's ok, but it's in on way a replacement for touchscreen.

If fo example I want to touch an icon fastly with my fingers a tackpad isn't as fast as simply touching would be.

What's the problen with a resistive touchscreen. I don't see any reason why there shouldn't be one available with multitouch at a good price when P2 comes up :) .

Also a trackpad seems not that good to me. It'd take lots of space (greetings from full sized SD-slots ;) ) and would give some additional costs.

We also have to find a good one. Better look for a resistive multitouch I'd say and everybody's happy.

What's the problen with a resistive touchscreen.

no good for quick, glassy swipe-pinch-twist sorts of movements as found in android/smartphones

I don't want those personally, but the people on the edge of the niche probably do.

The additional space would only be vertical, wouldn't it?, so it shouldn't affect SD slots

but it would make for a thicker unit, while many people would rather have a thinner one.

The only real advantage I see is an improved android experience, but as the people who would use android on the P2 are generally not on these boards, I don't know weather it would actually be worthwhile

I'm talking more like the s pen the galaxy note 2 uses. It seems pretty good. But there are now many capacitive styluses on the market.

Well, that's the deal: The S Pen is no capacitive pen, it's a pen using Wacom technology and only works with screens that have that implemented.

I've not yet seen a capacitive pen with a thin tip. I know HTC has a patent for some magnetic tip pen that does work with capacitive screens, but I don't know how accurate it is.

i dont think resistive can do floating touch and pressure sensitivity that is why wacom and co are better than resistive plus they can also have a capacitive layer.

A resistive can do pressure sensitivity, capacitive ones can't do this.

Floating Touch... well, it does work with some resistive ones because they are very sensitive. The Pandora one is pretty good, swiping works well with Android. But you need to check that first.

Wacom is pretty nice, but it requires pulling out the stylus. Just using your fingernail for accurate clicking (which works pretty well on Pandora 1) does neither work with a capacitive or Wacom touchscreen.

They all have advantages and disadvantages.

I see no reason for multitouch on Pandora 2 at all, maybe because I never had an device that does multitouch, call me oldfashioned. :D

And how would you use multitouch comfortably on an clamshell Handheld? I can't imagine that this would work very good, especialy not with only one hand.

Looks like the Galaxy Note 2 and S pen work as follows: The Note 2 has a capacitive screen which you can use your fingers for but it also has inductive technology, the S Pen works by Induction and also offers accuracy and pressure sensitivity. Might be the way to go.

Here's some info on it: http://www.phonedog.com/2012/03/21/the-galaxy-note-s-s-pen-is-a-lot-more-useful-and-fun-than-i-thought-it-would-be/

Alternatively, there are

1) Capacitive styles or

2) These type of styluses which offer pressure sensitivity: http://www.kickstart...for-ip?ref=live

3) Hybrid Resistive + Capacitive screens

I've not yet seen a capacitive pen with a thin tip. I know HTC has a patent for some magnetic tip pen that does work with capacitive screens, but I don't know how accurate it is.

the issue is in the driver. you can tune the driver to accept a small capacitive tip if the capacitive sensor's resolution is high enough.

drivers normally ignore anything too small to be a finger.

my problem with capacitive is it takes a lot of precious cpu time and bus bandwidth.

from a form-factor point of view, we'll need the screen to be bevel-less or we wont be able to touch along the edge.

no good for quick, glassy swipe-pinch-twist sorts of movements as found in android/smartphones I don't want those personally, but the people on the edge of the niche probably do.

Ok, heren you're right but I never had any problems on Android with my Pandora screen.

Back