Release Cannonball - The Enhanced C++ Outrun Engine

Then don't accelerate with the nubs :p
Unfortunately, if you elect to steer with the nubs then you also have to accelerate and brake with the nubs. Other than that, your idea is sound. Unlike your reading comprehension skills, that is.

D.
That's not true. I've played with the left nub for steering and the buttons X or B for gas, I can't remember which, every game has it's own layout for that, but I did it multiple times.
"Every game"? Let's get one thing straight here - we're talking about a specific game; that of the c++ remake of original Outrun, the one whose author (or rather maintainer of the Pandora port) has stated conclusively that "Analog and Digital won't mix without side effects" and has acknowledged that accelerate and brake don't work properly on face buttons (ABXY) when the analog controls are enabled.

Got that? Good. Now please explain how you managed to play this particular game in the manner you described.

D.
Please don't be so unkind, you don't understand me, I said: I don't remember if B or X is gas, every game/emulator/whatever has it's own way of using these buttons. For example Konami Krazy Racers on GBA emu will be B, but Mario Kart on SNES emu could be X. I don't remember it for every freaking game/emulator/whatever.

That out of the way: I start Cannonball, Ik click B or X (don't remember) to start the game, I use B or X (one of both, no idea which, my OP is turned ff at the moment) for gas and the analog left nub for steering, done nothing at all, it just works.

Unfortunately, if you elect to steer with the nubs then you also have to accelerate and brake with the nubs. Other than that, your idea is sound. Unlike your reading comprehension skills, that is.

D.

That's not true. I've played with the left nub for steering and the buttons X or B for gas, I can't remember which, every game has it's own layout for that, but I did it multiple times.

"Every game"? Let's get one thing straight here - we're talking about a specific game; that of the c++ remake of original Outrun, the one whose author (or rather maintainer of the Pandora port) has stated conclusively that "Analog and Digital won't mix without side effects" and has acknowledged that accelerate and brake don't work properly on face buttons (ABXY) when the analog controls are enabled.

Got that? Good. Now please explain how you managed to play this particular game in the manner you described.

D.

Please don't be so unkind, you don't understand me, I said: I don't remember if B or X is gas, every game/emulator/whatever has it's own way of using these buttons. For example Konami Krazy Racers on GBA emu will be B, but Mario Kart on SNES emu could be X. I don't remember it for every freaking game/emulator/whatever.

I wasn't asking about any other games or emulators - I was asking about this specific game. You seem to be having trouble understanding this.

That out of the way: I start Cannonball, Ik click B or X (don't remember) to start the game, I use B or X (one of both, no idea which, my OP is turned ff at the moment) for gas and the analog left nub for steering, done nothing at all, it just works.

That's better, and does actually answer my question. I don't believe you though; I think you're lying. I've just tried both methods and with analog enabled none of the face buttons respond, with analog disabled neither of the nubs respond. I also tried tricking it into working by redefining the controls with analog enabled - which also did not work.

Now, explain why I should believe you.

D.

Hum, in fact, in "Analog Off" mode, the left nub works, but as a "digital", so it works likes the DPad. And I agree that's confusing. Difference between digital and analog is not that big, the digital control are already pretty good, but analog is better on light turns.

Anyway, there is a new build on the repo (build 13) with a new mode for Analog wheel and digital gaz. Try it.

• Added "Analog Wheel only", use only left nub for stearing, B/X button for Gaz/Brake
  •  Added Overclock to 800Mhz in PXML (you can refuse overclocking)
  •  Added Warning message if no roms found.

Last edited by a moderator:

D.

D.

I wasn't asking about any other games or emulators - I was asking about this specific game. You seem to be having trouble understanding this.

>>That out of the way: I start Cannonball, Ik click B or X (don't remember) to start the game, I use B or X (one of both, no idea which, my OP is turned ff at the moment) for gas and the analog left nub for steering, done nothing at all, it just works.

That's better, and does actually answer my question. I don't believe you though; I think you're lying. I've just tried both methods and with analog enabled none of the face buttons respond, with analog disabled neither of the nubs respond. I also tried tricking it into working by redefining the controls with analog enabled - which also did not work.

Now, explain why I should believe you.

D.
I didn't say anything about other games, just about not remembering which button to use for gas, as it changes all the time. You seem to have a hard time understanding me.

If you don't believe me it's fine with me, I just keep playing as I did, left nub for steering, X/B for gas. Actually the right nub doesn't work for gas here. I tested it, I use X for gas, why should I lie? But I think it's solved already, look:

• Added "Analog Wheel only", use only left nub for stearing, B/X button for Gaz/Brake
From now on I'll just ignore you, I was just trying to help and be nice. If that's not apriciated that's fine with me, but don't expect me to answer.

Weird glitch I have encountered, only half the screen is rendering.

Only changes I have made to the OS are using the update tool in the XFCE menu.

130214-195706.png

Has anyone else encountered this?

Just tried OS upgrade from the menu & it's back to normal.

Excellent

Thank you

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

It's recent SDL bug, do another firmware update.ptitSeb: you are changing nub modes incorrectly, doing it like you do might simply not work at random. You should use /usr/pandora/scripts/op_nubchange.sh helper script, see http://pandorawiki.org/Kernel_interface#Nubs'>http://pandorawiki.org/Kernel_interface#Nubs .
OK, thanks for the heads up, I'll update soon.

Small maintenance release on the repo.

• used correct method to switch nubs to joystick mode
  • changed Pause to "P" and Menu to "M"

I don't know if it's my imagination but the game seems slower, could this be because of changes to the SDL or Cannonball?

At 60fps it now seems very sluggish.

I don't know if it's my imagination but the game seems slower, could this be because of changes to the SDL or Cannonball?

At 60fps it now seems very sluggish.
I haven't notice that. You just have 60fps selected, not both 60 fps and HiRes ?

Sussed it, when I had the screen issue above I must have accidentally switched it to 2x screen, switching it back to 1x it runs silky smooth.

I think there's something to be optimized in the original code, as there's always slowdowns when the road goes up.

Some optimisations would be nice.

Other games done in a similar manner would be awesome too but looking at the blog for Cannonball it's been a real labour of love getting this far.

Thanks for the latest update. Playing with accelerate/brake on the buttons instead of right nub is much better.

However, the setting does not save properly - when I exit Cannonball, next time I start it accelerate/brake reverts to the right nub, even though the control menu is set to analog wheel only. To get it working properly again, I have to toggle the control to either analog on or off, exit the menu, then come back in and select analog wheel only again.

The control and the left analog also feels 'loose' - sometimes I only have to apply a tiny bit of pressure and the car careers off the track (always to the left). Also sometimes when turning right the car goes left first for a (tiny but noticable) fraction of a second. Don;t know if this is fixable or an inherent problems with the Pandora's nubs though.

Other than the above though, it's a great port of the PC version. It's just a shame I can't play it on my CC Pandora in 60fps and hires mode like I can on my PC though.

If I'm in "demo mode" at the beginning and then I press "P" I go the the menu, then if I choose "Play" I have a black screen... then I press "P" and return to the menu, I select "Play" and I can see the "demo mode", but then... (read again from the start :p )

If I'm in "demo mode" at the beginning and then I press "P" I go the the menu, then if I choose "Play" I have a black screen... then I press "P" and return to the menu, I select "Play" and I can see the "demo mode", but then... (read again from the start :p )
Ah yes, it seems the "Pause" is not reset when going to menu. Minor bug, I'll see if I can fix that on a next maintenance release.

Thanks for the latest update. Playing with accelerate/brake on the buttons instead of right nub is much better.

However, the setting does not save properly - when I exit Cannonball, next time I start it accelerate/brake reverts to the right nub, even though the control menu is set to analog wheel only. To get it working properly again, I have to toggle the control to either analog on or off, exit the menu, then come back in and select analog wheel only again.

The control and the left analog also feels 'loose' - sometimes I only have to apply a tiny bit of pressure and the car careers off the track (always to the left). Also sometimes when turning right the car goes left first for a (tiny but noticable) fraction of a second. Don;t know if this is fixable or an inherent problems with the Pandora's nubs though.

Other than the above though, it's a great port of the PC version. It's just a shame I can't play it on my CC Pandora in 60fps and hires mode like I can on my PC though.
The "wheel only" doesn't seem to save properly. I had to change a few things to get it work, and I think that in my switch from "bool" to "int", I missed a check somewhere in the load/save. I'll see if I can fix that.

New release on the repo. I corrected the "Whell only" stteings that didn't stay activated when quitting/reloading game.

Also, I tried some more optimisation in the Road driving. I don't have stutter sound anymore on hill in 60fps, but the optimisations are not enough to be abble to activate both 60fps and HiRes. I hope I didn't broke anything with the optims...

• Now the "Wheel only" settings stay activated when you quit
  • Some more optimizations (but not enough to do 60fps+hires)

Added a new version in the repo.

This one brings the Pandora version at the same level of the Windows version. There are a few bugs corrected.

• In sync with the 0.181 windows version (without the forcefeed back of course)

Here is the change log from the official release

• Force Feedback Support (Windows Only). More details below. 
  • Controllers: Added support for steering dead zone.
  • Controllers: Added rudimentary support for split axis controllers.
  • Controllers: Able to navigate menus by turning wheel.
  • Controllers: Ability to select analog steering with digital pedals.
  • Controllers: No longer display H/L on screen when gear mode is set to cabinet. 
  • Bug: Fixed Prototype level not clearing.
  • Bug: Fixed score on completing game. The final score was incorrect.
  • Bug: Fixed bonus counter on completing game. (v0.181)
  • Bug: Reversed gear for cabinet play.
  • Build System: Added some changes supplied by user sairuk. 

Back